Fujimi 1/72 Aichi B7a 'Grace'

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
In keeping with my recent japanese phase , here is my just completed Aichi B7a 'Grace'. This is the 1/72 scale Fujimi kit and is a very nice to build with very finely engraved panel detail and nice fit. The 'grace' or ryusei (shooting star) to give it its japanese title, was a large, powerful torpedo or conventional light bomber. Although big the aircraft had fighter like performance and was a formidable aircraft. It was built to serve on the new, larger japanese navy aircraft carriers , but the sinking in june 1944 of the IJN carrier Taiho (the only carrier large enough to take the B7) before any aircraft were finished, meant that its operational carrer was land based.Anyways have a look at the pics, i happened to get a nice action shot in , as the wind blew while i was taking them and the prop started spinning! Comments crits welcome cheers tony:plane:

View attachment 39254

View attachment 39255

View attachment 39256

View attachment 39257

View attachment 39258

View attachment 39259

View attachment 39260

View attachment 39261

P1100173 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100175 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100176 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100177 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100178 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100174 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100179 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100154 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

M

munkster

If fink you've scratched it... :fool:

Nice effect there, lovely finish for a small model.

I was just toying with what 1/72 airplane kit to make "quickly" after my current long termer (for me) and this has given me something to add to the list!

First Name
Dave
Nice build Tony.How did u do the paint chipping?.Did you use salt or masying fluid?,Havent tried it yet myself.

First Name
Dave
Meant to type MASKING fluid.Im using my iphone and havent got my glasses with me!.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Loverly looking model there Tony.

Must admit I wasn't aware of this type.

Why the cranked wing tho, the undercart seems long enough for the prop diameter.

Nice though.

Keep inspiring us to be as skillful.

Tony (the other one) :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys! Ian , the action shot was a complete accident-- i was taking the pics outside for the best light and the wind just happened to blow so i thought id try and catch it spinning. Rob ,its a lovely build, the only slight drawback is the greenhouse canopy is a bugger to do, so many windows!!LOL! Dave , the chipping was done after the paint was completed by using a cocktail stick and a washed out felt tip to add the silver last off. I usually have to do a bit of retouching using the green as i always go a bit too mad!!! Ive not tried the salt or masking fluid yet, i suppose im a bit scared of overdoing it and it looking like something out of the wreckers yard!!LOL , cheers gents tony

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi tony .... am a big fan of japanese ww2 aircraft and their bullish looks ... have tried my hand at a few .... also have to admit this is a new one to me and have not heard of it until now ... i think looks a little like the tenzan jill .....nice build ..... rgds lindsey

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers tony, the wing had to be mid mounted to allow the bomb bay to be clear of spars,so to allow the clearance for the large prop the wing was cranked and the undercarriage mounted on the lowest point so it wasnt too long. The same solution as the F4u corsair. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm glad someone resurrected the thread (thanks Alex) as I had completely missed this one.

Nice job Tony,another little beauty. What do you use for the primer colour (aotake)? I might have to build a Japanese bird in the not far distant future and don't have any official Japanese colours in the cupboard!

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Tony. Being a fan of well worn birds, I might have to try something Japanese.

Colin M......

T

treyzx10r

Great looking build Tony,you got the wheel well color perfect!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys , steve , i used a mixture of four parts tamiya x23 clear blue and one part x25 clear green for the Aotake laquer. Applied over a silver base it gives just the right unusual turquoise colour!! The only trouble with this one was the canopy frames- as the aircraft had the cockpit in this colour too, i had to do the canopy frames in a reverse sequence i.e. aotake first, then silver,then the IJN green , to get the interior frame the right colour ! (although you cant really see it anyway,DOH!!!!!) Looking forward to seeing the stona treatment on a japanese aircraft , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice build Tony. 5*

Vaughan