Full interiors.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
As the title suggests, I'm mid way through a Takom King Tiger and I absolutely love the detail, especially as you can reveal all its interior after building it.

I'd love to do more but would like to expand outside of armour so any of you know of good kits that reveal interiors?

I'm looking at aircraft currently, but open to suggestions.

Del

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Del,

One wing thingy kit I can think of is made by Zoukei-Mura and in 1/32 scale. It's the Horten Ho-229, kit SWS08. It's whole shell is in clear plastic so you can see all of the details inside and there is plenty to see. It's pricey and hard to find these days, but the details are incredible. You can also paint half of it and leave the other half clear to show them off.

There are others, depending on what scale you are looking to do. I haven't seen any 1/48 kits in clear plastic to show off the interior, but there may be some out there. Trumpeter makes some nice 1/32 kits with lots of interior details, but you have to butcher, slice and dice them to open up the areas to show those details. There are also larger scale kits in 1/24 and even in 1/18 with good details too.

I would say it comes down to how much you want to invest in a kit without having to sell a kidney or a lung to buy it. There are also lots of after market accessories in resin to super detail them too. Maybe Barry, Steve or Vaughn will see this and help out more on wing thingies.

A few quick pics of the clear shell parts of my Ho-229 kit,

IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG

You can check out the instructions on Scalemates too. HTHs a little.......

Prost
Allen

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Hi Del,

One wing thingy kit I can think of is made by Zoukei-Mura and in 1/32 scale. It's the Horten Ho-229, kit SWS08. It's whole shell is in clear plastic so you can see all of the details inside and there is plenty to see. It's pricey and hard to find these days, but the details are incredible. You can also paint half of it and leave the other half clear to show them off.

There are others, depending on what scale you are looking to do. I haven't seen any 1/48 kits in clear plastic to show off the interior, but there may be some out there. Trumpeter makes some nice 1/32 kits with lots of interior details, but you have to butcher, slice and dice them to open up the areas to show those details. There are also larger scale kits in 1/24 and even in 1/18 with good details too.

I would say it comes down to how much you want to invest in a kit without having to sell a kidney or a lung to buy it. There are also lots of after market accessories in resin to super detail them too. Maybe Barry, Steve or Vaughn will see this and help out more on wing thingies.

A few quick pics of the clear shell parts of my Ho-229 kit,

View attachment 425080
View attachment 425081
View attachment 425082

You can check out the instructions on Scalemates too. HTHs a little.......

Prost
Allen
Wow,

This bad boy?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-170258_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-170258_Samsung Internet.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 12

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yes Sir, that's the one.....I bought mine to build after I retire on 1 August. It will probably be at least a year before I start it though. Their Heinkel He-219 is also a fantastic kit, but doesn't have the clear parts to show off the goodies inside......

On another note, there are some models of submarines that have interiors. The Trumpeter U-boat, in 1/48 comes to mind as well as 1/72 scale ones from Revell....More food for thought Del........

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Thanks very much Allen,

I just love building these only to cover them up..

Del

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Del,
the simplest is the 1/72 Tamiya Bell X-1 - you get a choice of clear plastic for the fuselage, or standard grey,, with complete internals & a steel ball bearing ( which hides in a fuel tank ) to prevent tail-sitting............
Dave
edit: Tamiya also did a clear fuselage version of their lovely 1/48 Fairey Swordfish!
edit edit AFV Club did a 1/35 T34/76 with a clear hull & turret

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Several (many?) Tamiya racing bikes in 1:12 scale have transparent cowlings, so you can see the engine and things that are normally almost completely hidden.