FW190 - a plane paper plane

G

gerard1938

Taking the liberty to intrude in your community of realistic shiny models I'll try to 'sell' an old-fashioned but very cheap modelling type, the cardboard model.

Very accidentaly I met with Fenlander's group-chat message on the net and switched my intention building a Spit to the FW190 being the group-build subject as per 1st of April.

I'm not very certain to be able to get the 1:50 bird ready within 3 moths, but we'll give it a try. 90% of the drawing work is done and in this thread I will try to show a bit readable sequence:

View attachment 14556 STEP 1: A 3d-view of the model can be found on the I-net and inserted into an empty AutoCad drawing. I have the opportunity to use this software but one can use any drawing-pack (preferrably vectorized) as long as the measurements are clearly and accurately presented.

View attachment 14557STEP 2: Browse the net on the measurements of the type you intend to build.

View attachment 14559 STEP 3: Measure the sizes of the inserted picture

View attachment 14558 STEP 4: Calculate the percentages and the deviations(!) from reality/drawing. If there is an error in comparing length/span/height then you'll have to reconsider your computation, the sketch or your measured values. The height of a plane is very often an arbitrary factor !

View attachment 14560 STEP 5: Decide the scale (your mm : real mm) you want to build, scale the inserted picture to the size of your model and check the measurements of length, span and height.

View attachment 14561STEP 6: Copy (draw) the picture in a new layer, add centerlines and check wether the model is positioned rectangularly to the grid of the drawing you're working on. If not you'll have to rotate the copied figure adequately.

View attachment 14562STEP 7: Look for straight elements in the model's fuselage and cut it into as few as possible cylindric or cone elements. I used a FW190 type D as a basis since this was a picture with the fuselage-sections in it that you have to fiddle out by yourself from top and side view only. (I shifted a copy of my FW190 A over the new inserted type D picture).

View attachment 14564STEP 8: Adapting the 'D-sections' to my A-type by slightly resizing the heights and widths of it.

View attachment 14565STEP 9: Is the most difficult step in the entire drawing procedure. The construction of the (mathematical) development of the sections. There are many ways to achieve this result and in fact it is a seperate chapter. I finally wrote an Excel-programme based on the (dxf) co-ordinates from the drawing.

View attachment 14568STEP 10: In order to make 'gluable' sections of the ribs they are copied to a seperate part of the drawing.

View attachment 14569 STEP 11: Each rib is reduced slightly in order to fit it inside the fuselage elements. Taking in account the paper's thickness of 0.2mm.

View attachment 14570STEP 11a: Offsetting the original shape and deleting it.

View attachment 14571STEPS 12: All ribs are provided with 'slabs' that are to be glued inside both ends of the fuselage elements.

And since I am out of screendumps this is for the time being the temporary end of the story. To be continued...

View attachment 23039

View attachment 23040

View attachment 23041

View attachment 23042

View attachment 23043

View attachment 23044

View attachment 23045

View attachment 23047

View attachment 23048

View attachment 23049

View attachment 23050

View attachment 23051

View attachment 23052

View attachment 23053

View attachment 23054

stap1-insert maat.jpg

stap2-insert mat&#101.jpg

stap4-checkmaten &.jpg

stap3-tekeningma&#11.jpg

stap5-veschaald..jpg

stap6-teken en r&#111.jpg

stap7-rompsectie&#11.jpg

stap8-aanpassen r&.jpg

stap9-uitslagen &#109.jpg

stap10-maatschets&.jpg

stap10-maatschets&.jpg

stap11-spanten1..jpg

stap12-spanten2..jpg

stap13-spanten3.jpg

stap15-spantenkla.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi gerard, youre not intruding at all, we welcome any type of scale model ,whatever its made out of. I have seen some outstanding card models, and having had a go at one (and failed!!!) i can appreciate the skill involved in making them (not to mention doing the plans too like yourself!) so please join in the group build, myself and all the other members would really like to see your model. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I second what Tony says,welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle this. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Cheers

Steve

G

gerard1938

Thanks for your warm reception. Meanwhile the drawing has passed many steps of minor importance and is very close to the stage of colouring. You have a huge range of paints at your disposal and you know how to use them as well ! I even have the impression that most of you prefer this stage of modelling. My Acad-pack however is primarily a technical piece of software and although you're able to create shiny and diffuse objects - using 3D technique - I prefer to use Paintshop for colouring.

I will jump from the ribs straight away to this item.

View attachment 14573 STEPS 12b,c,d,e a.s.o. = building up the A4 (page1) with ribs, wing-girders and...

View attachment 14574... colourless fuselage-sections....

to be cont.d

View attachment 23056

View attachment 23057

stap16-spanten af&.jpg

stap17-en romp ve.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is going to be great Gerard, i for one can't wait to see the build up of this 190. Good luck.

:grinball2: John

G

gerard1938

Don't overestimate the result John; particularly you shouldn't... Having a glance at the magnificent stuff you have created. Even the close-ups are astonishing realistic. The mud on the tracks a.s.o. a.s.o. Fortunately I realise that using paper/carton one never will reach such results and certainly no diorama's.

For instance fiddling around with a bunch of sketches and photo's, downloaded from the I-net I just used the whole morning driving in all the wing rivets and even only the upper wing part. Even not convinced wether they are the correct number on the correct spot.

Anyhow, it will resemble a 190 when it's ready.

View attachment 14601

I hope.

View attachment 23084

stap18 bekleding .jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Don't leave yourself short Gerard, we kit builders just stick pre-molded plastic together. You are building this from scratch, and using the computer too. I've only just found out what the interweb was let alone using CAD software (i like to give it a go though sometime). I do envy you though, if i make a mistake it's a repaint, you can just hit undo lol.

:grinball2: John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The ability to take a plain white sheet of card and turn it into anything other than a birthday card or a box amazes me to no end. I've even studied net development once and it still amazes me!

I am looking forwards to the resulting aircraft!

Ian M

G

gerard1938

\ said:
>>> if i make a mistake it's a repaint, you can just hit undo lol.<<<:grinball2: John
On the comp. yes, you're right, but once paper is glued to paper and the parts are eroneously of a different length.... then it means a redraw, a replot, e recut and a reglue. Building a prototype this is not an exceptional event View attachment 14605

View attachment 23088

th_itching..gif

F

Fenlander

Come on guys, this is amazing. Prior to the FW190 GB, Gerard did not have a model of the FW190. As part of the GB he designed and made this amazing Card FW190. No Tamiya engineers and research dept, he did this by designing and creating the drawings, converting it into 3D projections and then printed, cut out and glued together a masterpiece. Congratulations Gerard, you are the master of Card models :no1b::respect1:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Truly stunning.

Thank you for sharing your amazing skills with us.

It has been a pleasure to see this superb model come to fruition from, in essence, a couple of pieces of paper.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is really great! Puts a lot of us kit bashers to shame!!!

Whats next on the drawing board?

Ian M

G

gerard1938

such an honour...

O.k. guys, that's enough... thank you. If you want to get really astonished about idiots like me fiddling around with their pc's, printer cartridges,carton sheets a.s.o. I like to refer to this site .

Unfortunately it's in German only and you'll have to browse around a bit, but do not forget it's paper... only paper.

Luckily I managed to put the pdf's over here, so I would say take a look.

page 0

page 1

page 2

It's good to have some mutual respect for what we are creating in our hide-aways.

It's not only flattering but gives a feeling of be a part of the a select :smiling: group.

Do not think I've never built plastic models but never that perfect as Fernlander's scenenery as I dropped there .

Looking at it you expect the guys starting to move any moment.

It's a nice mini-world we're living in.

O yes Ian, being inspired by Serge Stone I'm on a Whirlwind now.

Enjoy,

Gerard

Last edited:
N

noble

Hi i've just found this and all i can say is it is a masterpiece truely a masterpiece.

scott

G

gerard1938

\ said:
That is really great! Puts a lot of us kit bashers to shame!!!Whats next on the drawing board?

Ian M
Thaks again you mini-fingers! This is too much ...

Can't recall wether I submitted this beauty or not, but better once too often than not at all.

page 1

page 2

page 3

As I said before, I am on a Westland Whirlwind now, but in between was my son's birthday where I gave him a flight as a present. Of course he pushed me into a cockpit as well after which I could not stand it just to draw this beautiful ASK21 before continuing on my windy piece of carton. Hope you like her.

If so, then lock the kit, fill up the printer, sharpen your blades and spoil the glue :smiling:.

View attachment 18171

hugs and kisses View attachment 18172Gerard

View attachment 25884

View attachment 25885

hoezo lol.jpg

th_itching.gif