FW190 D-9, 1:48 Tamiya - Centurion3RTR

R

Richy C

Great job John , the mottle looks fantastic - did you do it free hand or with a stencil , gotta say thats the bit thats scaring the life out of me

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW!! Thanks everyone for the kind words, another one? Hang on! I'm havin' too much fun on this one lol.

Ian M i painted the canopy separate mate, just masked it up on both sides. The blue tac trick? Never thought of doing it that way, i'll give it a go next time. (Sorry Ian, it take me all time to write mate and not to call you uncle as i have a uncle who lives in Nykøbing named Ian too lol).

Richy the mottle was all free hand bud, i painted the camo first then i airbrushed the Pale Greyblue. The mottle is sprayed very lightly and in a random squiggley pattern, the more you go to the underside the more the paint goe's on.

Next will be the decals, oh happy days. Have fun, John

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I like the mottling effect that's the bit that I'm worried I won't do right

N

noble

Hi John just catching up with everyones progress and this is looking very nice the motteling is well coolvery nice work.

scott

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is how i airbrushed the mottling on my D-9.

Camo first.

The random squiggley pattern in Pale Greyblue

Built up more Pale Greyblue the further down the fuselage.

It was that simple as you're using the camo for the mottling effect and you don't need to mix up the paint for the mottling. I like cheating lol.

Have fun, John

R

Richy C

John - you are a diamond pal , thankyou for sharing this , I did not have a clue where to start with the mottle , thats what I love about this forum and gb everyone helping each other , already I`ve learnt about pre-shading ie- black lines etc and now mottling etc , then again putting it into practice is a completely different ball game ,

Cheers John

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
No problem Richy, glad i can help. It may not work for everyone (as they have there own way of doing it) but, if it work's for us "Tankies" then i'm all for it lol.

Well, i made a start on putting the decals on yesterday, made a right ash of it so left it alone. Today is no better but i did rectify the yesterdays problem, the Defense of the Reich band wouldn't do as it was told so i painted it on.

Have fun, John

View attachment 22906

DSCF5642..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, thought i'd give the decals another go today and they're still not playing ball. The smaller stencels are ok, it's the bigger ones i'm having problems with. The last one on the underside of the wing would not go down right so it split, had to mask it up and paint it in the end.

It's not finished as yet, the canopy is not glued on because it still needs some small stancels and a matt varnish. Then it's dio time lol, the ICM figures i orderd are nice but i've seen some better ones to go with the Opel Blitz, they are still ICM but in different poses.

Have fun, John

View attachment 22924

View attachment 22925

View attachment 22926

View attachment 22927

View attachment 22928

DSCF5645..jpg

DSCF5647..jpg

DSCF5643..jpg

DSCF5648..jpg

DSCF5646..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks great. Interesting technique on the mottling,it certainly works. Just goes to show that there are many ways of skinning a cat.

Cheers

Steve

R

Richy C

Looks great john , very nice work with the masking for the decal you would never know it was even painted , after seeing your problems with the big decals I`ve taken the easy option by doing Teo Nibel`s 190 as it does not use them,

Smashing work pal

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks fellas, i was just lucky the decals was straight lol. Well i've made a start on the Blitz, the interior just needs weathering now. On the truck bed i didn't know how i wanted it, canvas top up or down so i went for both. Going to have milliput on the top of the canvas top at i've cut so it look like it's folded over the top, the frame is some metal i found in the spares box (from the wifes plastic flowers i think!). I forgot, the Opel Blitz is the new Italeri one with the metal chassis (No.6606).

Have fun, John

View attachment 14539View attachment 14541View attachment 14540View attachment 14542View attachment 14543

View attachment 23022

View attachment 23023

View attachment 23024

View attachment 23025

View attachment 23026

DSCF5650..jpg

DSCF5651..jpg

DSCF5649..jpg

DSCF5656..jpg

DSCF5655..jpg

F

Fenlander

I seem to have missed the updates on this one, sorry John. The 190 looks superb, really nice paint job. The Opel will help show it off nicely. Which figures did you go for in the end? Were you not getting the same set as me?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is looking great John. Like the dapple technic.

Lots of good useable tips comming out of this GB

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Graham they are still ICM but it's the one where the pilot is having help with his shute, just been up to the web site i now get my stuff from and they're not showing up. Will post a pic when i get them. (Why i underlined "now" is because i'm still waiting on the RAF figures for my Bf109 build)

Ian i keep on look through all the 190 threads getting useable tips, all the work i've done on this is because of you lot so, thanks to everyone who builds things with wings.

Have fun, John

F

Fenlander

I know the set John, I was wondering which to get when I saw them in the model shop in Wales. In the end I thought I should get them both then I saw the look on SWMBO's face as she was holding the boxes I had picked up so far so I decided on just the one. I may get the others for another build though, the pilot hunkering on the 'chute looks really well animated.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well Graham, i was thinking (me thinking is trouble) of having the Blitz with the tail board down with the kneeling figure in the back after the 190 as been refitted for another sortie. Should look good me thinks, and trust me to spell "chute" wrong lol.

Have fun, John

View attachment 23031

ICM48082_01..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Sounds good to me. My extra bits arrived today so I am on for an interesting scene if I can get it right....

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John