'Gardening' question

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I am not a gardener, so here's a (model related)question for those who are.
I have this tree/bush in my garden that has seed-heads(or whatever) that would make good trees
IMG_20200711_131338737.jpg
I have just trimmed it but I have saved about 10 of these
IMG_20200711_131419217.jpg
My question is, can I just dry them out and use them, or should I use the John Race glycerine method? And if so, what is the benefit?
Many thanks in advance to all you horticulturalists :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neal its Cotinus 'Royal Purple.' Mr Race is your man.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Neil.
Thanks for the link, yes they need to be done. 2.1 mix with warm water. Soak completely for at least 5 days. The time really depends on how thick that main stem is. Remove , rinse and hang up to dry.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
John, these 'trees' are quite bulky.
Do I have to maintain their shape in the glycerin bath,which means I can only do 2 or 3 at a time, or can I flatten them a bit and reshape afterwards, so I can fit more in?

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Please keep the thread going. Really interested to see how this works out. I have found a few plants over the years which I thought would be useful in a dio so picking up tips, successes and cock-ups will be useful :thumb2:
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
Please keep the thread going. Really interested to see how this works out. I have found a few plants over the years which I thought would be useful in a dio so picking up tips, successes and cock-ups will be useful :thumb2:
Jim
there'll be plenty of the latter if I'm involved, Jim!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Do I have to maintain their shape in the glycerin bath,which means I can only do 2 or 3 at a time, or can I flatten them a bit and reshape afterwards, so I can fit more in?
My wife dabbled in dried flower arranging a few years ago. One of the techniques was to stand the subjects upright in glycerine, which should be absorbed into the plant cells. I can't remember if it worked though.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes Neil, you would want them to retain their shape, when I did the Ferns there was no need as they are flat anyway, hence the books on top. I don't think they would fully retain their shape if flattened, you could try one or two.
When the are removed from the container make sure they don't drip anywhere in the house or you might suffer. I bring the Seafoam into the kitchen with full permission , rinse then take to the green house the hang up and dry. Again the drying can take time depending on the heat and moisture in the plant and air.

My wife dabbled in dried flower arranging a few years ago. One of the techniques was to stand the subjects upright in glycerine, which should be absorbed into the plant cells. I can't remember if it worked though.
Pete
An equally good method Peter, might take a little longer but is good.
Any method that enables the glycerine to be absorbed.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have another question for the experts;
Does it matter if the plants dry out before I get them in the glycerin?
I can really only do one at a time with the quantity of glycerin I have.
I am trying Peter's capillary action process first as it will use less liquid.
Also- can I re-use the stuff?
cheers
Neil

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
They need to not dry out Neil. If the plant's cells have collapsed they wont absorb any liquid.
I think. :thinking:
Pete

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
ok thanks
let's hope it's not too late, I cut about 10 on Saturday
maybe I'll have to soak them

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A smoke bush makes good trees who knew!
I would just cut the bottom of the stem and put them in a jar just like a bunch of flowers and let them soak the glycerine up.
Whilst on the subject butterfly bush flowers make pretty good 'pine trees' and beech hedge can give some good clippings that can be