GB rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
in light of recent conversation regarding started kits in GBs (which I totally accept). I wonder if it might be worth starting each GB build with sprue shots with proof of date? In that way there's no started kits and no starting before the GB date either.

Sprue shots and a copy of today's paper. The GB would be exactly what it's supposed to be then.

Cheers
P

P

Polux

Of course we can....
But I’m worried about that question. You suspect some members doesn’t follow that simple rule?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I don’t suspect anyone but at the moment it is possible to either: Start early and place your first post when the GB starts, or (even worse) post a completed build which may have even featured on a different forum!

On reflection, I think that unstarted kits is what a GB is all about. A GB (to me at least) is best when you research, build and share in each other’s experiences, triumphs (and the occasional mishap). It sort of loses something if this is not in real time and seems to contradict the purpose of a ‘Group’ build.

It may be that this suggestion is unworkable and we just need to trust that everyone that enters the GB does so in the right spirit. Or maybe that’s not the point, maybe if you’re in the timeframe with the right subject with a complete build you can post it?

I’m not being churlish, the date rule would simply help define the GB a little more. Although in fairness it may be impractical.

Thanks
P

P

Polux

All the GBs are running now.
I will ask at the members, for that point, on the new 2018 GBs.
It’s ok? ;)

J

Jens Andrée

Only one issue with that and that's "today's paper". I can't even remember the last time I held a newspaper that was made out of paper. It's at least 10 years ago I think? ;)

Jokes aside, do we really need that? I mean aren't we doing this for the fun of it? I'm at least old enough to have stopped cheating whilst playing solitaire and I certainly wouldn't cheat doing my hobbies.
I will gladly provide adequate evidence that my kits aren't half-done when starting but I didn't think this was even an issue?

Whatever the rules are I will follow them but since we're only doing this for fun and not for competition, cheaters will only fool themselves.
This is however my first GB so I don't have all the background.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Problems with proof of date:
Not everyone gets a daily news paper. As Jens pointed out.
You can set a camera to embed the time and date onto the image... You can also set the time and date to what ever you want it to say.
If you are savvy you can do it in photoshop as well. You can even set the date on your computer to get around a screen shoot image....
In short if you are going to cheat, you will find a way.
I think that the most simple way is trust. I cant imagine that we are a forum full of cheats and sneaks.
The Idea with the box top and sprues in the first posts should be enough for the purpose.
If you can find a way around that; build when you have time and post when the build starts, we will never know and the only person you are cheating is yourself.
The GBs, be it the forum set or the members own suggestions are just a bit of fun and to share our experiences with building a subject together.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Like Polux, I too am worried by the initial thread content.

I hope this forum never goes down the road of having to have "A copy of today's paper." on a photograph as proof of start date! S.M. is, hopefully, above all that nonsense. What members of other forums get up to is up to them.

The rule is 'No building until the start date' - simple.....No exceptions.

Obviously, there is nothing to stop anyone breaking any rules, but on their conscience be it. They are the low life's, and may their balls go square and fester at the corners!

Now, how's about we get back to sticking plastic together? - and having fun!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cant remembér the last time i read a real newspaper. Must be years ago

It all comes down to trust....if you are cheating in some way its you that has to live with the dishonesty

To be honest does it really matter? We are a model forum not something of earth shattering importance, if you know what i mean

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To be honest does it really matter?

No offence intended Paul, but yes it does. Trust in someone's word or action, is paramount to me - up there with trusting a Politician!......:eek:

T

Tony

While i do not buy newspapers either but i would like to think i am honest enough not to start until the correct date is reached.

At the moment for my afv aa build i am still seeking out parts, looking for inspiration and deciding on how i might do a dispkay/diorama.

I will go along with whatever gets decided though - i guess i could pull up the latest copy of the swindon advertiser on my ipad and include that in any initial picture that might be required.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What's to be gained by starting a build early - you might finish early, then what ? Build something else. I don't think we need to prove a start date, I would actually have trouble doing that.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think the consensus is not to do this. I think it was worth raising but to be honest I thought it was unworkable anyway.
Cheers
P

P

Polux

Ok.
Seems the theme is solved....
Anyway is my work, as a GB moderator, to be attent for any incidence and help all the members on their questions or similar.

If I see, someday, some incorrect action by a member; I will send a PM trying to solve the situation.
Anyway, I’m sure, that will be not necessary ;)

Remember!! No building until the start date....and clean always your airbrush and tools :D :D :D

We can call this thread closed.
Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.