Gecko 1/35 Supacat ATMP

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

After reasonable success with my last figures I though I'd try my hand at some more, with another quirky vehicle. The scene will be pretty much as shown on the box art, with an ATMP support vehicle and several troops attending to a casualty.

I've never built anything from Gecko, but I imagined that being a simple vehicle I'd have a straightforward build on my hands and could concentrate on painting the figures. That was until I opened the box! :smiling5:

28L2n6M.jpg

SMakAXC.jpg

Starting with the figures, there's lots in the box. Most of the sprues are accessories, equipment, body armour & weapons. There's also a small PE fret for various straps and an antenna

mNPOmbg.jpg

Some of the figures have optional heads. I'll be going for goggles & helmet wherever possible! :nerd:

NaEthVl.jpg

Then onto the ATMP. Again, a surprisingly large box, packed with goodies. A comprehensive PE fret, and 20 sprues if you count the individual ones for the wheels.

QzOsQmo.jpg

yMNl0E8.jpg

There's also a bonus weapon sprue with these and 6 pistols. The guys will be well armed as there's already 3 lots of weapons in the figure box! A bit of flash on these but nothing major

7K5PBAg.jpg

Looking through both kits I get the feeling that not everything was moulded in the same place. Some sprues are very clean & sharp, others seem a bit softer, with flash here & there, and some of the sprue gates are massive and numerous compared to the part itself. All that clean up should keep me busy!

D

Deleted member 7181

So on to the build itself. Step 1 has the PE fret out already, for the cooling grilles

4q5zt0k.jpg

I know the mesh looks wonky, but that's how it's cut. No need to worry though as it's hidden in step 2

S2umUmp.jpg

Plenty more etch already, with the rear light surrounds and mud flaps. They were pretty flat and boring so I bent a few curves into them to look like the box art. The instructions I'd say are quite basic, with positioning sometimes pretty vague, so I have to keep skipping to later images to see where parts should end up. Nothing quite lines up perfectly, but that could well be as much down to me as the kit.

8xnOdQm.jpg

Plenty of teeny tiny bits to clean up and keep me on my toes. Not the throw-together I was expecting :smiling5:

DI9jX8S.jpg

But I've now clamped the upper and lower sections together after a bit of persuasion and will leave it like that overnight

AymC4fi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
I look forward to this. There's certainly enough there to fill your time and test your skills and patience. I have every confidence you'll end up with a cracking dio.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If I’m honest, I kind of saw it coming: small, simple vehicle … I bet the kit isn’t like that :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

There's certainly a lot more to it than I was expecting, and plenty of etch, which has been a sticking point for me in the past. I just need to put into practice all those tips from everyone!

D

Deleted member 7181

I did some more on this one today. Again, mostly involving etch.

There is a handlebar kind of affair to fit into that slot, but I've left it off for now. If I use the driver figure it'll probably be easier to line the controls up with his hands than vice versa.

G4Nd4CY.jpg

From another angle, with a grille added to the front. There are a few gaps in the plastic parts but they've had a bit of Mr Dissolved Putty spooned in.

P7zZOvS.jpg

The kit grab handles that should have gone here are now in orbit so I made something representative out of wire

CKj6yaF.jpg

Then we came to the seat belts. They looked rather lovely on the fret, in 5 pieces each, but are now a horrible gluey mess lol. Simon tried to help me with my CA glue disability, but I clearly didn't pay enough attention!

J6eqc30.jpg

I've left it on the bench rather than my first instinct of stamping on it. I'll see if I can clean it up a bit in the morning. If not, it'll make my mind up about using the driver as hopefully he'll hide the worst of it.

Then I have this lot to look forward to. Not sure quite how I'm meant to paint the seats and "interior" once all that lot is fitted and in the way, but I've spent far too much time on previous models stressing about what to paint before assembly etc, so now I just bang everything together and hope for the best :smiling5:

THQpfIC.jpg

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking OK to me Andy, nothing a bit of tidying up wont fix. What type of CA are you using? When I was building RC aircraft I found that Slo-Zap was good, being thicker it did not run and gave you time to position stuff, I am just about to order some for myself as I am finding the cheap superglues are a pain in the butt.

Andy.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Umm... if you use the driver, wouldn't he be wearing the seat belts rather than hiding them? :tongue-out2:
They look OK to me though, I've done far worse.
Pete

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good so far Andy:thumb2::thumb2:, don't let the etch beastie get the better of you, like Peter says - I have also done far worse!! :flushed:

Paul.
:smiling2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again for the great comments chaps.

Andy, I've tried all sorts but most of them have either gone off in the heat of the shed, or sealed themselves solid like the fancy zap & flexi 5k ones. I've currently got some loctite precision, or good old screwfix no nonsense stuff if I want slow or thick. Both have metal pins in the lids so actually work more than a couple of times :smiling2:

Pete, yes, probably. But can you imagine the mess I'd have made trying to fit them after painting? :smiling5:

He already has Paul. I know I won't enjoy the build any more after such a failure, but I'll see it through and hopefully the figures will go better :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy, there is nothing wrong with the PE at all, a little clean up on the seat as Outrunner Andy says. As for the copper replacement, think it looks ok if not better than the kit one would have looked . Don't be so hard on your self.