Gecko paint

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Has anyone built a Gecko kit before. As the instructions don't say as to what paint manufacturer they use. They give a paint colour and a number I.e. khaki green No. 3(basic colour)(G3). The khaki green I have the VJ paint. It also calls for Dark Green No.4.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Has anyone built a Gecko kit before. As the instructions don't say as to what paint manufacturer they use. They give a paint colour and a number I.e. khaki green No. 3(basic colour)(G3). The khaki green I have the VJ paint. It also calls for Dark Green No.4.
Paul,
try this: https://www.mafva.org/british-vehicle-camouflage-1939-45/?v=79cba1185463
It's a bit long winded, but towards the bottom, you'll see mixes for the appropriate colours. Then again, Vallejo, Hataka & AK have dedicated sets for British Army WWII Vehicles.................
Dave

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Sounds like they're just using their own numbers? I'd just put the paint colour here and use the closest. I usually start with AK and then get the closest VJ shade. Hope it helps mate.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys that really helps I will have a look at the VJ alternative. At least I know know for future reference.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Sounds like they're just using their own numbers?
No, they’re using the official names and numbers, not any model manufacturer’s, by the look of it. That “(G3)” is part of the British Army colour designation.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I built the Gecko Bedford water tanker that the Paintguy sent me and just used the Tamiya dark green I had in stock, not sure if it is right or not but it looked OK to me but I am no expert on wartime colours as I am not really in to military stuff.

Andy.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I built the Gecko Bedford water tanker that the Paintguy sent me and just used the Tamiya dark green I had in stock, not sure if it is right or not but it looked OK to me but I am no expert on wartime colours as I am not really in to military stuff.

Andy.
Andy, I'm the Same as long as I get close to the colour. It was more out of interest given there was no name to the paint.