General Ruoff`s Personal Ride.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Mesh looks fine. The Steyr Police will let you off with a warning. Seats look really nice. Coming together nicely.
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy, and it's a lot less fugly in the flesh.

Far be it from me as a devout Tamiya fan to disrespect the brand but some of their box art is a little slack in certain areas now and then.

Generally brilliant but occasionally a bit of rushing or lack of an eye for the subject creeps in maybe ?
Cheers Dan!
Yes,it`s a fact about somethings being missed from time to time.... but,hey..... it`s so easily done,in general they do a superb job i reckon!:cool:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Mesh looks fine. The Steyr Police will let you off with a warning. Seats look really nice. Coming together nicely.
Jim
Cheers Jim!
If they`re anything like the Rural lot around here,then they`ll be all nice to my face......... and then send me a fine in the post!!;):tears-of-joy:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And, more importantly, does it mean that pre-built working tracks will finally become available to purchase?
HA!!.... Now wouldn`t THAT be a bonus..... especially for trackaphobes like me!!:nerd::tears-of-joy:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Guys,
So we are now at a stage where it`s actually looking like a car!!.......
IMG20211024183645.jpg
IMG20211024185917.jpg
IMG20211024183826.jpg
Still working on the doors and some supplied equipment for the back seat area.
Now this is where my lack of experience regarding building up cars goes....... when it comes to weathering i`m in two minds......(Unusual for me as i normally have trouble operating within the one mind!!:flushed:)
a) It`s a General`s Car,so would it be kept immaculate by his personal driver/Batman,.........OR......
b) It`s a practical vehicle used in a theatre of War,so would it be just as susceptible to wear`n tear and grime as any other AFV..... OR.....
c) Somewhere between the two?!!:thinking: .....
Any thoughts,hints or general abuse welcomed as always:thumb2: ,
Andy

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Depends on the unit & general. Some German generals seemed much more hands on in getting terrain feel and observing morale so moved about more, and some units were pushed about a lot so HQ was constantly on the move. Either would leave little time to police up the car more than necessary maint. Others were content to push pins on a map at a distance from the conflict.

Reactions: JR

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Andy, I think that a good Flag Officer's driver/batman would do always his best to offer a proper car to his General, even in the worst conditions, so I would suggest solution c), unless you decide to depict the car at the end of a frontline tour.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Depends on the unit & general. Some German generals seemed much more hands on in getting terrain feel and observing morale so moved about more
German doctrine (at all levels) was to lead from the front much more than the Allies did, even at the level of generals. Think, for one of the more extreme examples, of Rommel’s crossing of the Maas (Meuse) in 1940.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andy. Paint coverage is a good smooth basis for further finishing work. Still a pug ugly brute of a car though :tongue-out3:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
From my limited personal observations General and Staff Officers suffer from the same tendencies as many other lower grade officers - some encompass the 'lead from the front' ethos whilst others tend towards 'It's much more comfortable in the rear areas' syndrome (The epithet 'REMF' applies to the latter cohort) (Rear Echelon Mother F-----s)) :blow-kiss:
Steve

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Staff was very important to General officers in that some were able politically to gather their best choices and thus let staff handle many tasks freeing them to lead & guide their field officers to best effect. This can be seen in the many times large units were able to somehow escape kessels on both fronts as if by magic.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
C would be my choice for what it matters Mr Smith.
Even though it was in the midst of battle he appears to have been always well turned out, so can only assume that his car would have been the same.