Not open for further replies.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So I find myself pushed into a Russian front in the snow type dilemma and need a push in the right direction.
My 'paint guide' calls for a washable white over dark grey. By this I guess they are referring to the whitewash that was used over the German/Panzer grey.
Which greys are suitable as Panzer grey and what to use for the whitewash.
What is the best method to age the whitewash.
Other things I should know....weathering tips and the such.

Would prefer Vallejo but AK and mig can also come to the party. (if they have to).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ian,
I use Vallejo 995 German Grey for any tanks. The whitewash is much more problematical - I've run into the same problem, with whitewashed Russian aircraft. First a gloss varnish coat, so things can be wiped off. I've used a white ( any will do ) with a touch of grey ( just to take the brightness off ), well diluted, not only with water, but with varnish, to try and keep the viscosity up you can airbrush this, but you have to do it in thin layers. It's very difficult to judge when to stop!. It may be easier to brush paint a tank - with aircraft the streaks run along the surfaces, tanks they go with gravity. I found it difficult to visualise the final result, never having seen anything in this form of whitewash, in person, or good contemporary colour photos! Most of these whitewashes were applied in the field, so it would depend on what brushes were available ( if any ), how much time they had, and the whims of the commander!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ian .
As Dave says most were applied in the field no doubt most by hand .
I've used Precision Ice and Snow white camo
with reasonable results,but any water washable white would do .
I think the thing to remember this was substance that could and did get washed and removed by contact , so the coverage is not to any standard

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Ian, I can only subscribe what has been said above.
I've used artist water based acrylic paint splashed merciless with an old flat brush over a base of Tamiya acrylics (it was dunkelgelb for a 1/76 resin Panther and Mr. Race favourite shade of green for a 1/72 T34).
Then I lightly rubbed and weathered the white coat to bring back details and to reproduce the wearing down of the whitewash on the field.

Andrea

• Haha
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mops, brooms & rags have all been used to apply as durabiity was not an issue and removal in the spring wanted to be easy.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, I use Vallejo Air Aged white 71132.

After reading your reply below, I've removed all the dross about how to paint it on......;)

Last edited:
  • Haha

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the feedback .
I know how to paint it, just not what to paint it with.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I would just use white paint and apply it sloppily much like a real crew would. Yes, you could do it the artistic way so that you will replicate a slapdash finish with great care, but I don’t have the patience for that ;) Best guide is to find a decent photo of a real vehicle that has been whitewashed, and paint what you see there — and the parts you can’t in a similar style, of course.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ian,

AK 11372 is called Washable White Paint, in their 3rd Gen acrylic series. I haven't tried it yet but imagine it would do the trick for you. Thin it with water or use it straight out of the bottle for your whitewash. Just a thought...

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If you are looking for a worn effect Ian, you want some of the wash to stay on the vehicle....gloss coat will not give you the transitional tones required to make it look effectively worn. I went over my pz. grey base with the Vallejo foundation white. I let it set a few minutes then started scrubbing it off with a stiff brush and water. It's ok to thin your white but not too runny. As always, practice on a scrap model etc. before attempting on the actual vehicle. Remember the most coverage will remain in the most protected areas, just like the real thing. here is an example of what I'm referring to.P1011038.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ammo washable white....Paint on let dry wash off....just. if scrub at it or use a jet washer.... but I got there in the end.

Having a look around the net and found this by 'Martin Kovac..aka Night Shift', it's well worth a watch..

Know Martin and his site. watch it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.