German Ingenuity 39(H) 10.5cm LeFH18(Sf) auf Geschutzwagen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I guess some of you might remember this and where I left off. So I'm giving this another go to finish it up for our D-Day display in Penang...

595669.jpg Started here with the box and ended below with the tracks primed in black...

600607.jpg

Should I continue where I left off or start from the very beginning and then finish it off? Perhaps from the beginning for the benefit of those that have fading memories like me.
Let me warn you that my style of AFV's are usually built to suite dioramas that I may have a plan for so there won't be much super detailing and hoping that painting and weathering will suffice a presentable kit.

The build started because a group of us wanted to do an ugly build and I thought this was the ugliest that I've seen even with German ingenuity involved. Just look at the profile...

595670.jpg
With a smile I got on with it and started assembling...

595302.jpg

The wheels and bogies were pretty straight forward no frills. I wasn't going to put this tank over undulating terrain...

595303.jpg

Didn't take much time to assemble all the running gear.

The front sprocket hub had a little gap. Didn't know if it was intentional and I don't have much reference on this tank. I presummed that mud and muck will cover it later.

595304.jpg

I assembled the interior parts. They look ok with very little flash but I still gave the edges a rub down with a file and sanding stick.

595305.jpg

All parts fitted as they were meant to be. I can't help but see three testicals in a row for bogies :tears-of-joy: (pardon my language)

595306.jpg

The gun will be up next...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Don't remember this at all. It is ugly that's for sure.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you back doing the armour again. I enjoyed this one so keen to see it finished. How big will the final display be and how many models will be involved??

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys for the comments.

Jim, wouldn't have thought you missed it. Well it's here warts and all.
Ralph, hope not to...ahem it.
Neil, the bogies sure make it toon like.
Steve, lately my dios tend to be smaller. Won't be surprised if its just this lone tank in a french garden vineyard.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Gun progress now... I broke the subassembly into four parts...

596682.jpg

The main body or cradle which attaches to the chassis. This has most of the elevating wheels and sights. The hydraulic cylinder has an ejection pin mark at a very visible point that will be filled in.

596683.jpg

The recuperators are covered in armor plating as it sits outside of the fighting compartment

596684.jpg

The muzzle brake halves assembled cleaned and muzzle rounded with a round file.

596685.jpg

I always use the barrel from the kit and just sanded the joints as curved as possible.

596681.jpg

All the parts cleaned up except the cylinder. Anything not visible I usually leave it alone. No point wasting time.

597287.jpg

This'll look good painted up

Cheers,
Richard

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Richard,
Taking a chair now, and paying attention.
Cheers, Mike.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: Jim...mines starting to go as well. I used to be able to build without the instruction sheets but now am lost with them.

Si and Mike...welcome guys...I'm surprised by you missing it the last time. Good thing I decided to start from the beginning.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
More of the innards...

597288.jpg

Basic cleaning up mold lines and attaching the respective components.

597604.jpg

The side armor platings for all sides was peppered with ejector pin sinkholes. Spent quite a while filling and sanding.

597605.jpg

The above would fit right into an Oxy-10 commercial.

597606.jpg

I'm keeping the radio as is. Most would have replaced with after market ones fitted onto a frame. I'm just going to paint it up. Perhaps it might be blocked by the crew standing...anything goes.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice job on this. I forget his name & rank but he was slightly famous for melding French vehicles with German armaments to fill in TO&E gaps. This one was not the ugliest IMHO. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be honest, I didn’t remember so much as recognise who you were talking about, but couldn’t recall his name either. I then looked up the Hotchkiss H35 on Wikipedia, scrolled down to the bit where it talks about German modifications, and found a link to the page about the man :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Interesting update Richard. I see you are keeping the radio. Will you be adding wires and headphones??

Great history lesson Paul /Jakko. Very interesting read