German Ingenuity 39(H) 10.5cm LeFH18(Sf) auf Geschutzwagen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Interesting guy. Thanks for the link.
Hi Richard
That certainly does have a lot of ejector marks to deal with.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Paul, Scottie, Jakko, Steve and Jim for the kind replies. The history lesson was a bonus Paul/Jakko.
Scottie...like minds think alike. :thumb2:
Steve, wires perhaps but as for the headphones not sure if the radio operator would be wearing it. The thing with super detailing is I will have to dig for references and this radio has the potential to go all the way which I don't have time for an eventual dio. I'll have to let this one go. :crying:
Jim, Trumpeter probably thought this would be a closed tank. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
nice to see this - I have the Trumpeter 7.5cm PAK version in the stash - same running gear, same blocky superstructure, but doesn't look quite as ugly, with the smaller gun!
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

As Dave said, it is good to see this built and I also have the PAK version with an etch set for it. You might find the tracks will be too long as they are on the PAK version. She is looking real fine so far!!!

Not to hijack your thread, but Baukommando Becker made quite a few conversions and some of the more obscure variants are available in resin and in plastic too. For instance, from Brach Model, Somua S307 w/81mm row mortars.
Or with 75mm PAK,
or with 150mm Howitzer auf Lorraine chassis. RPM make this in plastic too.
RPM and Panda models make a plastic kit of the 75mm PAK version auf Lorraine chassis. Also in resin is an oddity I will one day build from the stash. It's from DES in France and is finely cast. You gotta love the pig tail towing hooks up front,
It just doesn't come with any rockets so you have to source some from a Katyusha kit...

Sorry again Richard, but Baukommando Becker in Paris was a fascinating story with all the different vehicles he built from captured equipment and lots of steel plates...

Prost
Allen

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If he had been born, say, fifty years later, I suspect he would have been doing the same with model kits and plastic card :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fellas, David, Allen and Jakko...thanks.

Ok, not that ugly after Allens compilation of uglies

U18.jpg

Roughly slapping the armored sides together. I'm not gluing it for easy painting later.

U19.jpg

Did a little to the drivers vision port and stuck all the components on the side walls

U20.jpg

So far fit is not bad.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The interior was painted with the base colour of Tamiya Dessert Yellow and post shaded black with a drop of earth brown.

U21.jpg

Areas below the fighting compartment was painted in off white and given the post shading as the fighting compartment.

U22.jpg

U23.jpg

At the moment it is clean looking but soon will be weathered with washes and streaks and equipment detailed.

U24.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That is looking very good. That post shading is nice. Not sure I could do it - my airbrush skills are a bit clumsy. Just out of interest what AB do you use? What size nozzle?
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice shadow work Richard. Looking forward to seeing all the detail painting

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks gentlemen. On the subject of airbrushing...it is not always the size that matters but how you use it...sound familiar :smiling2: I've got a 0.3 needle but to get thet results you need to know the properties of liquid flow and the blowing of gases and the impact and distance of the surface. Let me explain...paint leaving the needle is at its sharpest at the point. The smoothest flow would be the thinnest of thinning you can get of the paint that still holds pigments of color. The right amount of air to push paint over the needle.
You can get a very thin line if your airflow is set to its minimum, paint thinned to its maximum and needle closest to the surface. I would often remove the crown to expose the needle...one to get close nearly touching the surface and two to lessen the turbulance caused by the blowback within the crown.

Oops continue later ...have to pick up the cat from the vet.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I'm back...

...two to lessen the turbulance caused by the blowback within the crown.
Cheers,
Richard
The crown on the nozzle tip protects the needle but because of its cone covering air hitting the surface gets blown back into the nozzle area causing paint to build up thus creating splatter or you get a messy line. That is why some fine airbrushes have a cone that has holes around it or it is shaped like an actual crown. This helps with any blowback.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the control of your finger button on the dual action trigger. If you're light with your touch you might be able to control the amount of air released but you'll get finger cramps in no time. Then of course the pull back to release the amount of paint wanted. It's always press then pull back...not pull back and press. To avoid accidental splatter clear the nozzle with a few spurts of air just before you point it at your kit or have a finger palette to test on before you move onto your kit.

You can get very thin lines by masking. Anything that comes between your nozzle and surface is a mask.
Practise spraying on an uneven surface...this helps with your hand coordination to automatically vary the distance of your nozzle to the surface.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
From airbrushing I move onto the hairy sticks...I picked out the radio in black...very basic here...

U25.jpg

After dry brushing the dials and picking out the shell casings with brass and other equipment I moved onto giving a light wash to the interior

U27.jpg

I teased the wash into corners and added rust stains..just a little.

U28.jpg

U29.jpg

At this point there is no chipping but a slow build up of the wash

U30.jpg

I dry brushed some steel to the edges. I haven't decided on how much dirt is carried into the compartment. Have to see what the crew has stepped on in the diorama.
This is where Trumpeter has failed, they should have left some shells off the rack instead of keeping it full.

U31.jpg

The compartment is still dry fitted and can be separated for easy adding more detail.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

Great color on the interior and it blends well. As far as the full ammo storage racks, you might want to consider the 39H being freshly unloaded from the railhead at the front. I mean fresh from Baukommando Becker's Paris workshop to the Normandie area and turned over to it's new owners. The new owners have filled the racks and stored their personell gear on board. Then it is off to join up with the rest of the arty battery…..

Just a thought my friend. You probably have a great plan for the dio anyway. You always do...………...….

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very nice Richard, that paintwork looks excellent :thumb2: