German tank accessories

P

Piotrekbdg1987

Hello modellers, it is my first post so it is an invitation too

I have a question regarding accessories painting on german ww2 tank. I saw a lot of tutorials regarding sherman stowage but not so many for panzers. I have some confusions how to paint canisters and other staff like on black dog sets for panzer 3 ausf n for example. It is totally random or there are some specific paints to be used? Canisters CBA be painted panzer grau or it needs to be different grey tone? Thank you in advance.

https://goo.gl/images/t8ADUC

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
colin
Hi piotr, welcome to the forum it all depends on what colour your painting your model if it is early war panzer grey would be fine if it was desert the fuel cans would probably be painted in a sand colour I usually paint German metal boxes either German grey or field green. As for tarps I usually search the internet or books for pictures and find a close match.

P

Piotrekbdg1987

Thanks for answer. I was thinking about early war tanks so mostly painted in german grey. What kind of books do you use as reference? I have some but without pictures of accessories in colour.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
From doing a little research, I get the impression that early cans (with a cross stamped in the sides) should be field grey in colour, but could have been repainted in panzer grey. The later jerrycans (with the square in the middle of the cross) appear to have been panzer grey, dark yellow, or dark blue, and were sometimes repainted in the vehicle colour — probably when they were left on a vehicle when that was being sprayed.

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Don't forget that jerrycan ''wasser'' containers if painted in the german grey / sand colour had a white cross added to them in + not x formation to differentiate water containers from fuel containers.
They didn't want to poison their troops

P

Piotrekbdg1987

This fact was familiar to me, bigger problem was related to major coat;)