German Third Reich Gold Bullion Loot found!!

C

CDW

I can understand what Richards saying, and quite agree it should have been left as a whole, they could have designed somewhere to show it off.

After all you don't cut a Ming vase into three so it can be shown at a few museums at the same time eh?

H

Harry Labanville

\ said:
I can understand what Richards saying, and quite agree it should have been left as a whole, they could have designed somewhere to show it off.After all you don't cut a Ming vase into three so it can be shown at a few museums at the same time eh?
A submarine and a vase is hardly a comparison in size.

You would cut it if it was a150 long and you only had a 100 foot to fit it in

http://www.visitliverpool.com/things-to-do/attractions/search/u-boat-story-p229341

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
spot on the story and the picture....biggest five i can find in my pocket goes to you

C

CDW

\ said:
A submarine and a vase is hardly a comparison in size.You would cut it if it was a150 long and you only had a 100 foot to fit it in
I was using it as an analogy, And I'm sure they could have found some where big enough if they looked hard enough, obviously it wasn't deemed historically relevant enough by the powers that be.

Sad really.

That's all I have to say really, just my opinion.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL.

I saw the "Headline" and thought bugger I'm going to have to move it. Then I saw that it was Capt. R Suppards...that was the instigator of this news....

Brilliantly done Ron and a Welcome grin.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
At least you can still see it. The Sub they had over here in Nakskove got cut up for scrap!!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to John and Ian for your comments. Thanks for your big 5 too John!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks David, I appreciate you taking the time to post your positive comments.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks like I'm privileged again!

Thanks for your post Joe.....glad you like it.....

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Looks like I'm privileged again!Thanks for your post Joe.....glad you like it.....

Ron
No Ron I moved the post.! you are still the same old Ron you have always been. :P

Ian M

H

Harry Labanville

Your submarine would look good in one of those boxes where you have to peek into.

And on display at Telford.

Although wouldnt the probe be modern and multi-coloured?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Your submarine would look good in one of those boxes where you have to peek into.And on display at Telford.

Although wouldnt the probe be modern and multi-coloured?
Thanks Harry,

The punters at Telford would probably think it was somewhere to dispose their empty beer cans and fag ash!

The probe is actually a vivid yellow, but two miles down the colour wouldn't show up too well. The R.V. took the picture without flash to get an illusion the 'probe' was all alone down there.....

As for it not looking modern, this is a highly secret submersible, specially designed to look dated to stop inquisitive eyes taking too much notice....It is in fact crammed full of the very latest in sonar detection and underwater surveillance equipment and other more sensitive stuff, which for obvious reasons can't be mentioned here.....

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Gregg
\ said:
Thanks Harry,The punters at Telford would probably think it was somewhere to dispose their empty beer cans and fag ash!

The probe is actually a vivid yellow, but two miles down the colour wouldn't show up too well. The R.V. took the picture without flash to get an illusion the 'probe' was all alone down there.....

As for it not looking modern, this is a highly secret submersible, specially designed to look dated to stop inquisitive eyes taking too much notice....It is in fact crammed full of the very latest in sonar detection and underwater surveillance equipment and other more sensitive stuff, which for obvious reasons can't be mentioned here.....

Cheers,

Ron
Does your imagination know no bounds! :smiling3:

Gregg

B

Bunkerbarge

Greg, with an imagination like yours you should write scripts!!

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the 534 brings to mind a few interesting discussions. The first is just who has ownership of historical artifacts? I think it would be difficult to justify agreeing that a council has the right to do what it wants with something of historical significance. Items such as that should surely be controlled at a national level by an organization along the lines of English Heritage or the National Trust, with no political or financial affiliations. Certainly some form of body tasked with the preservation of historical artifacts. I think that is something we don't do as we'll as we used to and too many things are being lost forever rather than being preserved.

The second interesting point is that I remember very well the uproar when the 534 was brought to Liverpool. All of a sudden everyone had an immediate affiliation with an "Uncle Albert", who had been torpedoed during the war and this hated symbolism of those times had no place in Liverpool etc. Now it is cut up, painted grey and looking more like a kiddies playground. I can't help but wonder whether the initial feelings had something to do with the eventual fate of the submarine!!

As for seeing it yes I have, and I think it has completely lost it's impact for being presented in this way. It was a far better exhibit when seen with HMS Onyx, HMS Bronnington and HMS Plymouth in Birkenhead which now, unfortunately have all been split up.

As has been mentioned on other threads I think the Germans do a better job of preserving history in a much better realistic way and avoid making it al look that bit more palatable. Their concentration camp museums reduce everyone to tears and have a far bigger impact, which will hopefully help us all to try to avoid a repetition. Is it interesting to think that although we quote regularly "Lest We Forget" it may be the Germans who are remembering far more accurately?

Just food for thought.