German Third Reich Gold Bullion Loot found!!

H

Harry Labanville

I have no dog in this fight, Im just a tourist.

but

http://www.irishseashipping.com/viewpoint/u534/u534.htm

B

Bunkerbarge

I just think it is interesting to share views. Good link, many thanks

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The second interesting point is that I remember very well the uproar when the 534 was brought to Liverpool. All of a sudden everyone had an immediate affiliation with an "Uncle Albert", who had been torpedoed during the war and this hated symbolism of those times had no place in Liverpool etc. Now it is cut up, painted grey and looking more like a kiddies playground. I can't help but wonder whether the initial feelings had something to do with the eventual fate of the submarine!!
Interesting that when a historic wartime German aircraft is resurrected there aren't queues of people with tales of Uncles and Grandfathers being strafed or sunk by them. I think that also says a lot about the fear that the U-Boats held, the 'unseen enemy', much like a sniper of the sea.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's worthwhile remembering that whilst the German U Boats were vilified for being 'Sneaky and not the way to conduct a war,' there were plenty of British subs doing precisely the same thing, obviously not on as big a scale, but that was 'Jolly good, and well done chaps!'

H

Harry Labanville

\ said:
It's worthwhile remembering that whilst the German U Boats were vilified for being 'Sneaky and not the way to conduct a war,' there were plenty of British subs doing precisely the same thing, obviously not on as big a scale, but that was 'Jolly good, and well done chaps!'
HMS Conquerer.... General Belgrano..1982