Very nice one Gern ;)

PS: Thank you to join in :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent choice Dave , looks a nice kit too - good details without being overly complicated or thousands of parts. The grey/green British scheme is definitely the one I would have gone for too , with the CBI coloured one with the 2 colour blue roundels running it a close second! looking forward to seeing this one very much , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've never seen a P47 in this scale Dave, good find.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My old mate Nigel Julian built one of these when it was first released. There maybe a thread over on Aeroscale or the P-47 Heaven SIG he runs. It's a great kit.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. I would go for the British version as well. Though as Tony said, the Aussie one looks good as well.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Colin - the one I have was originally done by Vintage Fighter Series. They've finished now, but the moulds went to Kinetic who have released at least one version.

Steve - thanks for the link. I've picked up loads of useful stuff about the engine already!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well I didn't last long before running into a problem!

I want to add some wiring detail to the engine. I know each cylinder had two spark plugs and therefore two ignition wires. I've drilled out the holes for one plug on each cylinder:

View attachment 95655

Does anyone know where the second plug goes?

Wiring holes1.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some good info here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-11-aircraft-of-the-aces/47m-thunderbolt-lt-russ-kyler-aircraft-aces-gb-29937-2.html

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yep! Some good pics for general reference Ian thanks. Alas they all show the front of the engine - which is the bit I've already done. The wiring for the back of the cylinders doesn't show.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that the second plug is in the same place as the front one, just one the back.

From the quick look I had it actually looked like the wires were all in different places so its only a guess.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've seen them fixed in different places Ian. As you can only see them at the front when all the cowling is fixed, I think some modellers have just taken them back far enough to be out of sight and then fixed them anywhere it's convenient. Apologies to anyone who did fix them correctly - but could you post pictures showing where you did put them please?

Alternatively, there's a couple of resin versions of this engine which have PE ignition wiring. Would anyone have a copy of the instructions 'cos they should show where to fix them?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Yep! Some good pics for general reference Ian thanks. Alas they all show the front of the engine - which is the bit I've already done. The wiring for the back of the cylinders doesn't show.
Err well Dave, if you can't see them....................................nod's a good as a wink................

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm planning to leave off one side of the cowling which will leave the gap between the pistons showing so .......

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Still looking to see where the second spark plug leads go so I started on the 'pit.

View attachment 95954

Still to do the IP decals and add seatbelts. I'll be doing a little dry brushing and a light wash but not too much.

VFS provided a separate top for the fuselage at the rear of the cockpit - obviously with plans for a razorback version. My parts are just a tad warped so I've started to fix them in sections to hopefully minimise any filling and to try and straighten them.

View attachment 95955

View attachment 95956

Cockpit1.JPG

Fuse top1.JPG

Fuse top2.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Dave, the cockpit is looking very good indeed.

First Name
Dave
Nice work Dave.The warped parts are disappointing in an expensive kit like this.Hopefully you can fix them.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Dave - I don't think the warped parts will cause any serious problem but you're right - they shouldn't be there in a kit this pricy. Having said that, I had all of the old Airfix 1/24 'planes at one time and sold them on. Unlike you guys, I don't have the patience for all the mould marks and flash you're all seeing and having to deal with.