Gern's 1/24 P47

Z

Ziper_it

Despite all the issues you are doing a great job. I wish I could do the same with mine.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've not been totally idle over the last couple of weeks. Got some more bits done:

View attachment 98010

The gun barrels supplied are just straight bits which I could have drilled out - but they're oval not round so I'm replacing them with some brass tube.

View attachment 98015

Got the fuselage interior sprayed - not too fussy as it will be very hard to see.

View attachment 98011

Main cylinder block. Sprayed with Vallejo Aluminium with a very light wash of AK Track wash.

View attachment 98012

Drilled holes under each stub on the ignition harness and fixed thin copper wire in each. The entire harness isn't fixed in place yet, I'm still trying to make sure I get the engine lined up correctly.

Ian - I think you were right when you said the ignition wires would lead to the same place front and back of the cylinders. That's the best guess I've been able to make from all the pictures I've seen so that's where they're going.

View attachment 98013

View attachment 98014

You can see from these pictures that the two parts of the intake ducts don't line up correctly. I don't think that's my fault as there are large locating pins and holes. I've had to cut out a section of the rear piece and remove quite a lot of plastic from the support rib as they were stopping the cylinder block lining up properly with the mounting points. I'm not at all sure why I've had to do this - there's no mention of it in the online builds I've looked at. Anyway, I think the cylinder block now locates properly on the mounting points so problem solved - I hope!

Barrels.JPG

Engine1.JPG

Ignition1.JPG

Intake1.JPG

Intake2.JPG

Interior.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I don't think that's my fault as there are large locating pins and holes. I've had to cut out a section of the rear piece and remove quite a lot of plastic from the support rib as they were stopping the cylinder block lining up properly with the mounting points.
Hmm odd. I think I would have tried removing the locating pins first and saw how things lined up...

Still, you got it sorted in the end.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I hadn't thought of removing the pins, but I've just checked and if I'd done that and moved the intake ducts downwards so the cylinder block fitted properly, then it would have stopped the bottom part of the cowling fitting.:cool:

One of the reviews I looked at said something about changes having to be made to the initial production kit - mainly instructions. I wonder if I've maybe got an early version. I don't know, and at this stage, I don't care. I'm just lurching from one problem to the next hoping I'll not find anything beyond my ability to cope.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
nice one Gern. Lokking forward to seeing how this looks when finished

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Dave

The Thunderbolt looks excellent so far, magnificent work on the cockpit.

Really looking forward to the rest of the build and seeing this large scale 'Jug' come to gather.

Cheers

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was hoping to be able to say 'onwards and upwards' with this but I'm still lurching from one problem to another.

I got the underwing stores ready to install (I need to check if there are any decals first)

View attachment 105318

The fuselage halves have gone together nicely but there are a few spots where I'll need some filler

View attachment 105316

... and the cockpit looks OK. I've still got to fit the gunsight but I didn't want to break it off while fitting the cockpit. I've got my patented LRPC ready to protect it when the fuselage glue has dried.

View attachment 105314

Whatever you do, don't follow the instructions for assembling the engine. They say you should fix these pipes to the manifold before attaching it to the engine - WRONG! If you do that, you'll never get them to fit at the cylinder end as there are no locating points on the manifold. I removed the locating lug on the manifold so I could rotate it relative to the cylinders to get them lined up correctly. Then I added the exhausts.

View attachment 105315

I fitted the gun bays to the wings a couple of weeks ago. I tacked the gun ports into the wings to check the gun alignment and it's a good job I did! If you line up the gun bays to fit the locating bars, they don't sit square or line up with the gun ports! I had to remove the bays and re-fit them so they lined up properly. Of course, with the gun ports in place, you can't fit the assembled guns as they won't tilt far enough to clear the gun bay walls. The guns themselves have just a single locating pin which fits in a hole in the gun bay. This means they are free to swivel from side to side and vertically. I'm going to have fun trying to get them all lined up when I re-fit the barrels!

View attachment 105317

Notice how the bay doesn't line up with the locating bar.

The wheels are decidedly odd. They have vinyl tyres which I like because they usually make painting so much simpler. However, these are moulded complete with the inner hub where it attaches to the axles! The outer hub is fitted inside the tyre as usual but the locating blocks are HUGE. I suspect I'll have to re-paint everything as the paint is likely to crack and be rubbed off while I try to get the hubs inside the tyres. I'll let you know. Consolation is of course, if they don't look good enough, I'll have to do it with the wheels closed up so I won't have to worry about fixing the u/c legs!

View attachment 105319

Cockpit1.JPG

Engine1.JPG

Fuselage1.JPG

Gun bay1.JPG

Stores.JPG

Wheels1.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its certainly giving you a workout Dave, Its not a shake and bake thats for sure!! The great thing is that youve done the right thing by test fitting and altering the sequences and methods of construction ,thus saving yourself any future grief. If you had just blindly followed the instructions you would be throwing it at the wall by now! Keep on fighting the good fight mate , I cant wait to see this one done . cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tony - I should have picked summat easier but brain surgery wasn't one of the GB options!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was right. I had to use one of my needle files as a tyre lever so all the paint got b******d up. There's also some damage to the wheel rim but I think I'll be able to get away with that. I'll see when they've been re-painted.

View attachment 105362

View attachment 105363

Tyres1.JPG

Tyres2.JPG