Gern's 1/32 Trumpeter F-105G - A Sad End.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm back with my next build by popular demand - well one person anyway!

I have already made a start on this and I'll have some more progress pics soon (no sprue pics as I forgot to take them!), but here's a few to be going on with:

IMGP3959.JPG

This is a big hairyplane - length 637mm and wingspan 333mm according to the box - and at the moment I have no idea where I'm going to put it when it's done except to say it will be on a simple base.

Trumpeter - bless 'em! - provide a HUGE amount of extras:

IMGP3960.JPGIMGP3961.JPGIMGP3962.JPGIMGP3963.JPG

There's a total of 8 sprues of thingies to fix on the whatsits under the wings (technical terms there specifically for young Ron who understands such things), bombs, fuel tanks,rockets, ECM pods and pylons to the rest of us.

IMGP3964.JPGIMGP3965.JPG

You can see that there's LOTS of work involved with these. According to my calculations allowing for finding the parts, cutting them from the sprue, attachment point cleaning, assembly, filling and sanding seams, painting, varnishing, decalling, varnishing and weathering, there's about 47 zillion things to do. I've saved myself all of that 'cos I got a plan - I won't be using any of them!

I bought this second hand and it came with metal undercarriage parts. As I won't be using all the extras and won't need nose weights, I think I'll be able to use the plastic parts supplied.

Anyway, as I won't be using the extras, I'm offering them for sale. I'll put up a detailed post in the appropriate forum.

So far I've only done the cockpit and there's a couple of bits left to finish:

IMGP3966.JPG
IMGP3967.JPG
IMGP3968.JPG

I just noticed I've got to paint the edges of the IPs. Then there's just the seat cushions and a few control levers to add.

Some reviews I've seen say the IPs are too high and should be adjusted. Beyond my limited skills I'm afraid so I'm building what's in the box.

More soon.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
There's a total of 8 sprues of thingies to fix on the whatsits under the wings (technical terms there specifically for young Ron who understands such things), bombs, fuel tanks,rockets, ECM pods and pylons to the rest of us.

Oh Dave,

We love it when you talk dirty to us!!! Nice office work too..........

Prost
Allen

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love this dave , the thud is a huge beast of an aircraft isnt it ? The largest ,heaviest single engined, single seat fighter ever i think .( although this version is a twin seater )

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can I join in please Dave. Not that I'm normally a wingy fan, but I need to brush up before Dude 1 starts his, so where better to learn.:thumb2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Love this dave , the thud is a huge beast of an aircraft isnt it ? The largest ,heaviest single engined, single seat fighter ever i think .( although this version is a twin seater )

You know me and my big boxes Tony! You'll know this one. Didn't the F-4 Phantom hold the record for biggest and heaviest before this came along?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Can I join in please Dave. Not that I'm normally a wingy fan, but I need to brush up before Dude 1 starts his, so where better to learn.:thumb2:

You're welcome John. There are better builders than me to learn from out there, but I thank you for your kind words.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wingy thing...my arch enemy but, I love looking at others building them and this looks a superb model Dave, like the office detail too. Cracking work mate so far!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
You know me and my big boxes Tony! You'll know this one. Didn't the F-4 Phantom hold the record for biggest and heaviest before this came along?
The phantom was very similar in size / weight but two engines / two pilots and came into service a few years after the thud .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Little more progress on this. I got the cockpit finished and installed on one side of the fuselage. Also fitted are the front wheelbay, bomb bay and engine. I've not fitted either the nicely detailed cannon or in-flight refuelling probe as neither of these will be seen. In the final version of what I'm trying to build, I don't think the cannon would be there at all. Although closed, I've fitted the bomb bay to provide support for the fuselage. This is a BIG kit and I don't want it falling apart.

IMGP3978.JPGIMGP3969.JPGIMGP3970.JPGIMGP3971.JPGIMGP3972.JPG

There are absolutely no fit issues with any of this lot. I wish I could say the same for the wings though. More on that soon.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Like it dave , the pit looks great , i bet its a big old beast now its coming together.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Forgot to mention. The seatbelts are moulded on to the seat cushions. With my shaky hands I didn't fancy trying to paint them even if I masked them off. Instead, I cut a long length of 1mm masking tape and stuck it down on a glass plate. Then I painted it dark grey, cut pieces to the right length and stuck them over the raised belts in the kit. Not perfect but good enough for me - vision through the canopy won't be perfect so it should hide the imperfections.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave lookin forward to this build but whats the plan ? can you give us a clue ?
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Shows how much I don't know!
I wouldn't worry about that Dave, some of us no nothing about these strange metal birds.

Those seats, I think the term is office look good so you appear to know a lot more than your letting on :nerd:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent work there Dave, you know, this plane stuff is starting to wear off on me a bit.
I have always liked the look of the A10 Warthog and the Hawker Hurricane, bristling with all their weaponry.

Maybe one day I'll have ago at one of them.

Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HI Dave lookin forward to this build but whats the plan ? can you give us a clue ?
chris

Wot! And give away all my secrets! You'll just have to wait and see like everyone else Chris.:smiling: