Gern's 1/32 Trumpeter F-105G - A Sad End.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wouldn't worry about that Dave, some of us no nothing about these strange metal birds.

Those seats, I think the term is office look good so you appear to know a lot more than your letting on :nerd:

Not really John. Just copyin' what everyone else does.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent work there Dave, you know, this plane stuff is starting to wear off on me a bit.
I have always liked the look of the A10 Warthog and the Hawker Hurricane, bristling with all their weaponry.

Maybe one day I'll have ago at one of them.

Jim

Thanks Jim. You wouldn't have any problems building wingy thingies - but I'm not sure I'd recommend starting with the A-10. There's a fair few Hurricane kits around which would make a good starter though ....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave well whats happin on this build as im still waitin to see what your plan is ? as my spies have all met with failure an have paid the price of ultimate failure - lol
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HI Dave well whats happin on this build as im still waitin to see what your plan is ? as my spies have all met with failure an have paid the price of ultimate failure - lol
chris

Sorry for the delay Chris, I been working on other stuff (Just to tease you further, one of the things I'm on is a small dio called 'Rendezvous', the other is a moving object. Tee hee! I do love a good tease!). I've done a bit more on this though and will get pics up later today.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice start to the 'Thud' Dave. Looking forward to the update.
Cheers
P

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry for the delay Chris, I been working on other stuff (Just to tease you further, one of the things I'm on is a small dio called 'Rendezvous', the other is a moving object. Tee hee! I do love a good tease!). I've done a bit more on this though and will get pics up later today.

YOU ROTTER Dave this aint just a tease i need to know your plan an i will find out so get the pics up sharpish lol

• Haha
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL TODAY HAS COME AN GONE AN STILL NO PICS WHATS GOIN ON are you still on the tease as now im not the least bit instrested in your plan you can use your plan to your hearts content im not in the least intrested LOL :smiling4: :smiling::smiling::smiling:
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As promised, a bit more progress.

Anyone who's seen any of the Trumpeter 1/32 kits will know that many of them use PE brackets and steel pins to attach flaps, ailerons etc. This one is no exception.

IMGP3982.JPG

I have no intention of playing with this when it's built so I can fix all these parts with glue and ignore the PE stuff. I thought I'd be OK to fit the front wing flaps to each half of the wing and then just have maybe a tiny seam to fix at the front edge of the wing. Wrong!

IMGP3947.JPG

Bit blurry but as the gap is approximately half the width of the grand canyon you can see it OK. Fortunately, I tried the fit before the glue had totally set so I managed to adjust things to get a better fit. Still a bit of a gap, but now nothing a bit of Squadron Green won't fix. This is probably my fault for not following instructions and maybe they would fit OK if I used the hinges and pins.

IMGP3983.JPG

Talking of Squadron Green, how are you folks getting on with the new wishy-washy formulation? I think it's b****y awful so can anyone recommend a good alternative?

The rear flaps and ailerons (or whatever they're called) have gone together nicely and test fit shows no issues so hopefully I'll get those done with no problems.

Something I have absolutely no understanding of. In their infinite wisdom, Trumpeter decided to mould parts of the U/C bays to both halves of each wing and also have separate parts to be attached to the top half.

IMGP3980.JPG
IMGP3981.JPG

This has left some really awkward shapes to have to join. Not a major problem, but I wonder why they didn't mould the bays as separate boxes to be simply fitted to one half of the wing? I found one side of the bays, the squarish panel moulded to the top half of each wing, was badly bent on both sides which has needed a lot of fiddling around to get sorted - the bends in the plastic had distorted and stretched the plastic so I had sanding as well as straightening to do.

My pictures have shown up some paint errors which need to be fixed. Doh! Back to the A/B!

You can also see the gaps around the individual flaps on the trailing edge. I suppose it's nice of Trumpeter to give us the option of having these open, but it's made fitting them closed a bit of a pain.

When I fitted the cockpit, front wheelbay etc into one side of the fuselage, I taped the other side into place to hold everything square until the glue had set. No problems until I removed the side and added glue. Now for some reason I have a step in the fuselage join at the bottom.

IMGP3984.JPG

Again. not a problem as I think I'll be able to clamp it straight when glued. Meanwhile, I'm gluing the two fuselage halves together in sections to eliminate any other gaps/steps. I'll leave this bit until the rest of the join has fully set. That way, I hope my clamps won't disturb the fit elsewhere.

This is due to something I've done so I'm not blaming Trumpeter. Despite the issues I've mentioned, I really like this kit - and apparently so do my cats!

IMGP3985.JPG

That's it for now.

PS Chris. I know this hasn't satisfied your curiosity as to the eventual destination of this, but it's all you're getting for now! I have mentioned I also write crosswords as one of my other pastimes. You need the same sense of sadism to do those too!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
WELL TODAY HAS COME AN GONE AN STILL NO PICS WHATS GOIN ON are you still on the tease as now im not the least bit instrested in your plan you can use your plan to your hearts content im not in the least intrested LOL :smiling4: :smiling::smiling::smiling:
chris

Hey Chris, it might be tomorrow to you, but to me it's still today as I haven't been to bed yet! So when I promised pictures yesterday I've kept my word! I got to take my motor round to the garage in a bit and when I come back, I'll be off to beddy byes, so when I wake up later today, it'll be tomorrow for me as well as you. All clear now?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Certainly a very big hairyplane. Cockpit looks very nice. Got your work cut out with some fit issues. Got me wondering about this fiendish plan of yours. Nice of Trumpeter to make the box "cat bed" size although I'm sure Puss would prefer a bit of blanket to lay on rather than a load of uncomfortable sprues.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
PS Chris. I know this hasn't satisfied your curiosity as to the eventual destination of this, but it's all you're getting for now! I have mentioned I also write crosswords as one of my other pastimes. You need the same sense of sadism to do those too!
(GERN QUOTE)
WELL IM NOT THE LEAST BIT INTERSTED IN THIS PLAN LOL :smiling4: ;) but when will we find out lol:confounded: An i love bonnie an clyde an its clyde layin in your NO PLAN box isnt it AN WHATS HAPPENED TO YOUR LEFT THUMB ?
not in the least bit instrested lol
chris

Last edited:
  • Haha

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hey Chris, it might be tomorrow to you, but to me it's still today as I haven't been to bed yet! So when I promised pictures yesterday I've kept my word! I got to take my motor round to the garage in a bit and when I come back, I'll be off to beddy byes, so when I wake up later today, it'll be tomorrow for me as well as you. All clear now?

AS MUD LOL do you hang on the bed rail upside down as with all this bein up all night buisness LOL :astonished::astonished::confounded::confounded:an whats up with your motor ? MOT an service ? eh or a another prob ?

AN NOW YOUVE DONE IT Dave YOUVE GOT JIM WONDERING ABOUT THIS FIENDISH PLAN OF YOURS AS WELL LOL

Hi Dave
Certainly a very big hairyplane. Cockpit looks very nice. Got your work cut out with some fit issues. Got me wondering about this fiendish plan of yours. Nice of Trumpeter to make the box "cat bed" size although I'm sure Puss would prefer a bit of blanket to lay on rather than a load of uncomfortable sprues.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
(GERN QUOTE)
WELL IM NOT THE LEAST BIT INTERSTED IN THIS PLAN LOL :smiling4: ;) but when will we find out lol:confounded: An i love bonnie an clyde an its clyde layin in you NO PLAN box isnt it AN WHATS HAPPENED TO YOUR LEFT THUMB ?
not in the least bit instrested lol
chris

Well if you're not interested in my ultimate plan Chris, I can continue to provide my totally uninformative posts! :smiling:

As to my thumb. It was Clyde wot happened! Only a tiny hole but it was dripping blood everywhere. Didn't want to get it all over my desk so a plaster was needed. This was the smallest one I could find!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Dave
Jim

Not a fiendish plan Jim - just cunning!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Not a fiendish plan Jim - just cunning!
HE wont tell you Jim as he 's got you danglelin like i was but now i think Jim we will have to gang up on him an force the cunning plan out of him but im not in the least bit instrested of his cunning plan lol.But we have found out a bit there he has slipped up there by sayin its cunning plan but not a fiendish one so thats a step closer to the truth lol
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HE wont tell you Jim as he 's got you danglelin like i was but now i think Jim we will have to gang up on him an force the cunning plan out of him but im not in the least bit instrested of his cunning plan lol.But we have found out a bit there he has slipped up there by sayin its cunning plan but not a fiendish one so thats a step closer to the truth lol
chris

Oh poop! Looks like I've given away more than I intended!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
SEE WE WILL FIND OUT if not by hook or crook theres always the thumb screws to try on you lol
chris

Sorry Chris. I forgot to say I was taking my car in for its MOT. It's a Merc 180C which is only 15 yrs old so I wasn't expecting any issues. Lo and behold, all it needed was a couple of litres of oil - all passed and sorted.

That was Tuesday. Went out to a quiz last night and on the way back, my dashboard warning signs came on telling me my display was faulty, the ESP wasn't working, my brake pads were worn, the engine coolant was low, I had no fuel and the engine management warning was lit. Oh, and the speedo and rev counter needles were waving about like the arms of the T1000 Terminator in that molten metal. Ooops! Back to the garage.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry Chris. I forgot to say I was taking my car in for its MOT. It's a Merc 180C which is only 15 yrs old so I wasn't expecting any issues. Lo and behold, all it needed was a couple of litres of oil - all passed and sorted.

That was Tuesday. Went out to a quiz last night and on the way back, my dashboard warning signs came on telling me my display was faulty, the ESP wasn't working, my brake pads were worn, the engine coolant was low, I had no fuel and the engine management warning was lit. Oh, and the speedo and rev counter needles were waving about like the arms of the T1000 Terminator in that molten metal. Ooops! Back to the garage.

NO Dave surley you are jestin sayin all these thing go wrong at once no way josie this is a wind up as i know YOU
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
NO Dave surley you are jestin sayin all these thing go wrong at once no way josie this is a wind up as i know YOU
chris

It's no wind up Chris. All true. I suspect there's some damp got into the electronics somewhere but I've asked my garage to have a look.