Gern's Academy 1/35 STuG IV

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The skirts ...

IMGP1993.JPGIMGP1994.JPGIMGP1995.JPG

Like I said .... b****y awful! Still, from the pics that Paul put up on Rick's STuG build, they don't look any worse than the real thing so I'm happy with them. Now to get all dotty .....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
its amazing how color dose bring them to life,looks great Dave,,real do like your camo,pattern,

I do like the skirts,I paint them the same way,in most cases,as well,and real when you look at the pics,

you do see them not sitting right,I think it looks real good,very well done, :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some more done:

IMGP1996.JPGIMGP1997.JPGIMGP1998.JPGIMGP1999.JPGIMGP2000.JPG

I'm not sure if all the tools are in the right places (I know the cleaning rods should be on the side of the hull, not the top; but they're too long to fit between the rear of the 'turret' and the mounting bracket for the skirts). The diagrams given show them in different places and the holes in the hull didn't always match the locating pegs on the tools. Not to worry. Just about every picture of STuGs I've seen shows them to be different, so variations in the tool locations isn't going to worry me!

I didn't know whether to include this in here or on the recent post I saw about the stupid things we sometimes do. My stupid thing was to glue together all the wheel pairs before painting them! I painted the tyres black and used a drill gauge as a mask to paint the hubs and it worked beautifully. Only problem of course is that there's no way to get a mask for the inside of the tyres now they've been assembled! :sad:  

So that's 40 tyres to be painted by hand then ...... 

N

noble

Dave this is looking good so far, try a thinned down overspray of xf 60 dark yellow, I have also built this kit its in the completed armour section. Try cutting up the shurtzen and applying individual sections, paint looks good keep up the good work.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Scott. I've got some Vallejo Matt Varnish which I'll be spraying on when everything is done. I think I'll add just a couple of drops of a sandy yellow from Vallejo to blend the colours a little. I don't want to risk mixing Tamiya paint with Vallejo varnish!

I'm not sure what you mean by individual sections for the skirts? I've already cut them into the relevant sections - which is why they're all hanging lop-sided.

N

noble

Thanks Scott. I've got some Vallejo Matt Varnish which I'll be spraying on when everything is done. I think I'll add just a couple of drops of a sandy yellow from Vallejo to blend the colours a little. I don't want to risk mixing Tamiya paint with Vallejo varnish!

I'm not sure what you mean by individual sections for the skirts? I've already cut them into the relevant sections - which is why they're all hanging lop-sided.

Sorry mate as clear as mud too early, what I meant to say was take out a couple of skirt on each side so you leave gaps in the armour as if it has lost some of the skirt.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ah, right. I get you. I had thought of leaving one or two pieces off and shoving them on the back as if they're going to be repaired. I'll see what I feel like when I finally put it all together.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So, like Scott suggested, one of the panels is missing due to a broken bracket. The crew have kept it with the hope the bracket can be repaired.

Just waiting on the decals from Patrick, but it's getting there.

IMGP2002.JPGIMGP2003.JPGIMGP2004.JPGIMGP2005.JPGIMGP2006.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good with this one,the camo with the dots have turned out well,like your idea, :D

the the skirt,as well,and nice to see you tie it down,nice work,what are the decals your getting ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry Moni, I nearly forgot you asked me a question!

Patrick has offered a set of markings from a Tamiya PzKpfw II which will do for me. From the pictures I've seen, STuGs were not exactly covered in markings. Most just have a cross and number on each side and just a cross at the back, with maybe some sort of unit marking at the front - and that's about it!

Question though. If I put the side cross on the skirt, it wouldn't be seen if the skirt was removed or damaged. If I put the cross on the side of the hull, it wouldn't be seen if the skirt was in place! I've seen pictures with the cross in either place, but I've not seen anything with crosses on both skirt and hull. Hmmmmm!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

That's great progress on the Stug and a cracking build so far! This doesn't seem that far away from the finish line now.

Great job on the camo finish and damaged Schürzen.

In answer to your question, I'd be more inclined to apply the markings to the hull of the vehicle. The reason why so many pictures of the real vehicles show so few markings is that the schürzen generally covered them up. And I think, toward the end of the war, a cross outlined in white was regarded as something akin to crosshairs by the crews who were trying everything they could to camouflage their armour.

Looking good Dave

Cheers

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Paul. What you say about the markings makes sense, so I'll go for the crosses on the hull.

I guess the numbers I've seen above the cross on the skirt would be the individual tank number? So, no skirt, no number as it's hard to see where it could go?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Sorry Moni, I nearly forgot you asked me a question!

Patrick has offered a set of markings from a Tamiya PzKpfw II which will do for me. From the pictures I've seen, STuGs were not exactly covered in markings. Most just have a cross and number on each side and just a cross at the back, with maybe some sort of unit marking at the front - and that's about it!

Question though. If I put the side cross on the skirt, it wouldn't be seen if the skirt was removed or damaged. If I put the cross on the side of the hull, it wouldn't be seen if the skirt was in place! I've seen pictures with the cross in either place, but I've not seen anything with crosses on both skirt and hull. Hmmmmm!

oh nice will look forward to seeing what he dose give,as you said as what I,have seen not meany at all,and Patrick is the man who would know,as he

is always a big help that way, :D

D

dubster72

O.o The decals are on their way Dave! There was a slight delay due to my missus scatterbrain though

I've seen markings applied to both the hull & the schürzen. As far as I can tell, there's no definitive right way

6491_prof.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Decals arrived safe and sound this morning. Thanks Patrick - you're a star!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was going to make a base for this one, but summat else has dodged it's way to the top of the list so I'm calling it done.

IMGP2038.JPGIMGP2039.JPGIMGP2040.JPGIMGP2041.JPGIMGP2042.JPGIMGP2043.JPG

Paul: I cheated a bit and put the decals on the skirt 'cos it was easier!

Just had a closer look at the pics. I've got to play around some with the weathering. It looks too obvious it's just been splashed on with a brush!