Gern's bug

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Now for the other half of my dio.

I'm building this with just one of the figures to go with my bug. Before the purists start commenting on the different scales - trust me. I got a story to go along with it.

View attachment 71120

View attachment 71121

View attachment 71122

View attachment 71123

View attachment 71124

View attachment 71125

As you can see from the sprue shots, this is nicely detailed and well made. There is very little flash and just a few mould lines to be cleaned up. They even drilled out the M/G barrel and front lenses of the binoculars!

The only fly in the ointment is that the instructions are all in Japanese. Fortunately, the diagrams look well detailed so construction shouldn't be a problem. There are colour pictures for the paint schemes but I'll be choosing my own.

Gern

Scout box.JPG

Sprue1.JPG

Sprue2.JPG

Sprue3.JPG

Sprue4.JPG

Sprue5.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks a good...insane model your building Gern. This is gonna be a real mix-match awesome build when done.

Si:smiling3:

C

CDW

They look different scales Dave .... Hope you've got a good story to go along with it. .....

...... Sorry couldn't resist that :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

This looks very very interesting ..... Set to it young man.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
They look different scales Dave .... Hope you've got a good story to go along with it. ........... Sorry couldn't resist that :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

This looks very very interesting ..... Set to it young man.
I surely got a story, but you guys will have to judge whether it's any good!

Made a start on construction. The fit isn't quite as good as it might be but I got the body of the scout ship dry fit together and there are no serious problems. I'm thinking about a colour scheme before I add all the extra bits - they might need painting separately.

Having to do a bit of fiddling around with the figures. I need to swap the arms, which fit into the shoulder piece, from the seated figure to the standing one and naturally the shoulder pieces are designed to fit only one of the bodies! And the head from the standing body doesn't fit the seated figure's shoulder piece either. Oh poo!

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
And the head from the standing body doesn't fit the seated figure's shoulder piece either. Oh poo!
Nothing in modelling goes smoothly, scratch built, or, and you think you maybe safe here, OOB...one day there will be a model kit that just goes together seamlessly and with no fuss.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got the scout vehicle assembled and started on the figure. I said I'd got to play around with the kit figure. My dio calls for an 'all action' shot which the kit figure wouldn't be suitable for so I've had to find some hands from elsewhere (you are so right about things going smoothly Si!).

I've done some thinking about the bug and I reckon I can do better - so now it's 'pimp my bug' time!

I put some paint on the figure and I think the scheme I've chosen will be OK. I've also bought something else from ebay to add if I can get it right.

View attachment 71634

View attachment 71635

View attachment 71636

Now the comparison shots.

View attachment 71637

View attachment 71638

Gern

Scout1.JPG

Scout2.JPG

Scout3.JPG

All together now1.JPG

All together now2.JPG

K

Kressy_13

This is looking great mate. Love the look of the bug. Top stuff on the paint.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Bob Heinlein made reference to a race known as 'The skinnies' in his Starship Troopers. They are described as humanoid and 9ft tall.

A six foot figure in 1/24 scale is roughly 3" tall. But 3" in 1/35 scale is roughly 9 feet. Anyway, I spotted these on ebay:

View attachment 71768

They're 1/24 vinyl figures made, I believe, by a company called Wave and they're from their Sakura Wars range. That's all I know except they're alien, thin and the tallest comes out at around 9ft tall when compared to a 1/35 figure .....

Meet the skinnies:

View attachment 71765

View attachment 71766

View attachment 71767

Just some bits of touch-up to do, decals and a base left now so making progress.

Gern

Skinnies1.JPG

Skinnies2.JPG

Skinnies3.JPG

Wave Sakura Wars.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave this has really got me smiling...and I mean that in a most sincere way......It's brilliant, your imagination knows no bounds. Great colours too.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ron. If only my talent matched my imagination!

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I love this, totally original and something different on the concept of Starship Troopers. Top work, really enjoying this build come together.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Now this is taking shape I can comment as I can see where your going with this and I think it's looking great , your arachnid is looking so cool well painted and regenerated.

The vehicle is looking great and your figures are coming along realy well I can't wait to see the final dio you've got a great imagination :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all the nice comments folks! (I know I've asked for a 'Groan' clicky button thingy, but a 'Thanks' would be really nice).

Alan - I'm hoping to prove something we all know but haven't had definitive proof of until now!

Gern

C

CDW

I think I'm about in the ball park with whats happening ... Could be way off though so I'll wait till its finished

Apart from that ... All looking good Dave!