Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Spent a very pleasant day with this:

View attachment 89592

View attachment 89594

This is my entry for the building GB - obviously!

Overall I'm impressed with this kit, although it's not without its faults. Every wall section has a mould seam going all round the edges which has led to a few gaps:

View attachment 89593

View attachment 89595

These will be easy to fill so not a major problem.

The other issue I have found is that the pieces for the base walls are all slightly warped:

View attachment 89596

Again, not a major problem. I've used the platform piece as a guide to get these corners square - once they've set I'll swap and do the other corners then I'll just need to tape the sides level when gluing them.

That's ALL the bad news. Everything else about this kit is excellent. Once the walls were cleaned up, everything fell into place nicely though you need to take care selecting the right parts.

All the doors and windows fit absolutely perfectly and will not require any filling or seam work whatsoever, and the seams on the roof parts may just disappear under the primer and paint - I may touch them up with putty though.

There are NO pin marks or sink holes on the outside and there is absolutely no flash anywhere.

So. I'll do what little filling is necessary tomorrow and start on the painting.

Box & sprues.JPG

Built walls.JPG

Instructions.JPG

Joints.JPG

Warped base.JPG

P

Polux

Nice entry Gern ;) looks a very interesting little building!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks nice Gern,, I think it will true out well, good luck with your GB :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I primed the windows and doors last night and got them painted this morning. No clear parts are supplied so I'll have to use some clear plastic cut from the various 'bubble' cartons I've been saving. Although there isn't any battle damage, I may very well use this in a wartime dio. Therefore the windows will be 'blacked out' - I'll use some paper painted with very thin paint. Hopefully the paper will crinkle up and look like dark curtain material. The added bonus of this is that I won't need to do anything with the interior!

View attachment 89597

I filled the gaps at the front and noticed that I could see daylight through a lot of the joins between the walls and pier sections. I filled these at the back with some styrene strips.

View attachment 89598

View attachment 89599

There are two ramps supplied - one for the loading door at one end and the other for the end of the loading platform.

View attachment 89600

They're both the same size so the one at the end of the platform is too wide. If I'd spotted this before I assembled them, I'd have cut it to the right width. I don't think I'd be able to hide the join if I did that now, so I've come up with another idea. More on that later.

My plan is to use red oxide primer on the walls as a base coat colour and add some lighter and darker shades on individual bricks. I thought of doing the same for the roof tiles but it wouldn't look right having bricks and tiles the same colour. I'm thinking I'll do the roof using Halfords grey primer as a base colour and then pick out individual tiles with other shades of grey - just like the walls. Would that work do you reckon?

Doors & windows.JPG

Filling.JPG

Piers.JPG

Ramps.JPG