I'm looking forward to this :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Go mad with it Gern. You got the whole of 2014 to play with.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've thought about scratching some of the beach defenses - not the fortifications. Does anyone have any pics of these 'cos the ones I've found tend to focus on the people so details of the defences are unclear.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, when I did my Normandy G.B. diorama, I had a good look at Google Images before I had a bash at these obstacles for my model.

Plenty of beach defence pictures to look at.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'll have to have another look then Ron. As I said, the only ones I've found so far don't show enough detail.

I've checked out the figures here:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=937

There are some rather good looking set pieces here. Hope I can do them justice.

I've got some budgie grit which I've used on dios, but the particles are much too big to represent sand in 1/72 scale. Could I use something like baking powder as an additive to emulsion paint to get a sandy texture? (I know you can buy textured paint but pennies are very tight so I'd like to find a cheaper alternative).

Gern

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Dave in the us sectors Utah and Omaha most of the beach defenses were the cross iron gurder type and huge concrete block type I would say about five feet tall.

The cross gurder type reached a fair bit outto sea so at high tide they could damage landing craft

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was thinking of making some of the girder type from plastic strip but I could do with a picture. Am I right in thinking they were called hedgehogs?

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yep, hedgehog barriers, also slightly off shore Belgium gates-tetrahedron concrete structures topped with mines. On the beach don't forget to add shell holes from the rockets that landed to clear the obstacles, most fell short and many soldiers walked into them while getting off the landing craft and drowned. You also could add a few wooden posts, sticking at an angle pointing towards the land-like an angled letter A.

Si:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
You also could add a few wooden posts, sticking at an angle pointing towards the land-like an angled letter A.Si:smiling3:
Yes, I saw some of those in some of the images I found. Why were they pointing inland instead of seawards?

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks a lot for the pics Alan. It looks like just three I-beams welded together with a triangular reinforcement. Now I know what they looked like I may be able to scratch some.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Knowing they were called hedgehogs, I managed to find this. Could be useful to anyone else doing the D-day build.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Yes, I saw some of those in some of the images I found. Why were they pointing inland instead of seawards?Gern
The idea is that a tank or some other vehicle rolls up onto the obstacle and gets stuck there. If it pointed towards the sea it would not work. They are called Czech Hedgehogs.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I'll have to have another look then Ron. As I said, the only ones I've found so far don't show enough detail.I've checked out the figures here:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=937

There are some rather good looking set pieces here. Hope I can do them justice.

I've got some budgie grit which I've used on dios, but the particles are much too big to represent sand in 1/72 scale. Could I use something like baking powder as an additive to emulsion paint to get a sandy texture? (I know you can buy textured paint but pennies are very tight so I'd like to find a cheaper alternative).

Gern
Dave for the sand just use any emulsion paint and some flour. Just paint the base with the emulsion then while still wet sieve some flour over the top then when dry just paint it the sand colour you want.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yes, I saw some of those in some of the images I found. Why were they pointing inland instead of seawards?Gern
As Joe has said designed to cause problems, especially high-tide, to tanks, landing craft, to slow down vehicles or get them hung up so that two things happen: chaos from having vehicles and support fire trapped and struggling, landing craft with damaged drop-doors etc, also it means that a slow vehicle or stuck vehicle is an easier kill than one that can strole right up to your front door lol.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The idea is that a tank or some other vehicle rolls up onto the obstacle and gets stuck there. If it pointed towards the sea it would not work. They are called Czech Hedgehogs.
Thanks Joe. That makes sense. I found this picture which may also be useful for a D-day build.

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice picture, notice the mine on top to blow the bottom out of landing craft.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the flour tip Ian. Col (CDW) has also offered to send some of his reptile sand for me to try so I got no excuses for getting it wrong now.

Gern