Gern's finished FW 190 GB

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well here it is folks.

I've put it on this thread 'cos I've done all I know how to at the moment. I would like to improve the look of the 'ropes' which stop the 'plane swinging around but I don't know how. They still look like string to me 'cos they don't have the natural 'droop' of rope. Any suggestions?

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their suggestions, help and friendly comments during my first GB. Can't wait for the next one!

Gern

View attachment 23778

View attachment 23779

View attachment 23780

View attachment 23781

Completed FW 190 4.jpg

Completed FW 190 1.jpg

Completed FW 190 2.jpg

Completed FW 190 3.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That Sir is a proper beauty!!!! You must be extremely pleased. I've seen the odd Norwegian fjord in my time and your water is stunning. It sets the silty aircraft off very well. I don't remember what you settled on for slings in the end but whatever you did they look great.

I see your point about the ropes but I'll leave the advice to those better qualified.

Top marks from me.

Cheers

Steve

R

Richy C

I echo what steve has said 1st class Dave , as for the ropes that your not happy with - take them off your dio tells a story on its own without or without them , Norwegian fjord no wind water very still who needs ropes - job done mate

fantastic work

Richy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gern

That is excellent. I especially like the missing fabric from the control surfaces. Top notch:terrific:

If you soak the strings in glue and weight them you could get the sag you're after.

terrific job on the scratch built crane.

Cheers

P

F

Fenlander

Nice one Dave. it was interesting discussing this build over a coffee at Hinckley but to see it at last is a real pleasure. A really imaginative dio for the group build. It would have been so simple for the group build to be a pile of FW190s but because of the imagination and creative ideas like this, it has just shown how diverse a single subject group build can be.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I saw the photos of the real one whilst looking for ideas for the GB. This build is pretty much like the photo.

Good work Dave.

I have some times used painted wire as rope. Some times it works others it dont.

Cutting all those control surfaces free deserves a medal in its self! Well done.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice one Dave. it was interesting discussing this build over a coffee at Hinckley but to see it at last is a real pleasure. A really imaginative dio for the group build. It would have been so simple for the group build to be a pile of FW190s but because of the imagination and creative ideas like this, it has just shown how diverse a single subject group build can be.
Hi Graham,

The only reason we were able to produce such a wide range of builds is 'cos the rules were left nice and open at the start. I'm sure you've seen group builds on other forums where you almost have to end up with a whole group of identical kits, due to the rules and regulations on the build.

As a personal opinion, I hope we can keep future group builds open enough to give us this sort of leeway. It's been a lot of fun and there's been loads of interesting stuff in terms of history and modelling techniques from the folks involved. Just what the doctor ordered!

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

I'll have to have a look at your suggestions for ropes. If I get something to work I'll let you know.

Gern

PS Steve - I used some 3mm wide decorative ribbon for the slings. In 1/48, that scales out to just under 6" wide which is just about right for heavy duty slings. Thinking about it, it would be ideal for loading straps on 1/24 trucks.

C

Caledonia

Wow thats a beauty. Like the oily swell in the water, and the seabed mud settled on the aircraft. Very artistic. ***** Cheers Derek

p.s. Can I see a current load test certificate for the Crane please, we can't have Forum Members breaking HSE Regs now can we.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Scott! I wasn't expecting any '5s' for this. Apart from a bit of scratch with the crane, I've been able to hide all my mistakes under a coating of silt!

Derek: I quite understand your concerns about H&S. However this is set in foreign climes and I'm not sure about the procedure in getting the relevant documentation! If it's any consolation, the main jib is of solid steel construction (welding rod) which scales up to about 6" diameter. That ought to satisfy even the most pessimistic of inspectors!

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Dave, i'm still trying to catch up after the bout of conjunctivitis and only just seen your completed 190 sorry matey. This is beautiful mate, you've made a cracking job of this kit.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Me catch up too.

Dave, this is genious in 1/48.

Simple, uncomplicated, just the ticket.

Re the guide ropes:- If you run them over a lump of beeswax they will stiffen up then you can bend/sag them to your desired shape.

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

Welcome back mate! It has been quieter than normal round here recently - no doubt that'll be changing now you're back!

Thanks for your comments - and young John of course. I hope I've done the idea some justice as you kindly changed your build so we didn't end up with two of these in the GB. Next time, I'll give you first choice!

I shall be trying that beeswax thing sometime in the future. I know it keeps down the 'fuzz' you get but hadn't thought about using it to help keep the right shape.

Gern

PS Hope your bouncy nurse kept you well oiled on the outside with Ambre Solaire! I have no doubts you managed to keep yourself well oiled on the inside without anyone's help! lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now I've seen your 190 Dave I'm glad you did the 'Coming out of the Ocean' instead of me 'cos most of mine is covered in dead leaves, but with yours.. you can see top and bottom, Fanny's me aunt, every bit is on show, hanging there for all the world to see!!!!!

My bouncy nurse did indeed put the Ambre on me and then rolled it in with an empty bottle of vino. Then she started to get me ready for a bit of sunbathing, she decided to join me. First she undid..................I need another drink!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know what all the dots stand for mate! You're slipping.

"First she undid .........

...... another bottle of vino!"

So I don't believe for one moment that you really need another drink. Want maybe - but need - NO!

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi dave. like john and ron ive been off planet a while so im just trying to catch up a bit and ive just seen this beauty. This is a brilliant piece of work dave, like all good dioramas it draws you in and forces you to imagine the event taking place , something i really like and not easy to achieve either. Another thing i love is that, as someone mentioned , its a simple but stunningly effective piece. Well done mate ,the big five from me too! cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony.

I wish this forum had been around when I did models as a kid - say 45 years ago! Maybe by now I'd be as good as I'd like to be if I'd had all this help and encouragement for all that time! lol

Really looking forward to the next one so I'm kind of just stalling on my building at the moment until I see what's coming.

Gern