Gern's FW 190 GB

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mornin' all.

Bear with me please folks - this is my first attempt at a build log so the posts may be a bit erratic; but please don't let that stop you commenting on my work (good or bad) - I need all the help and advice I can get!

Anyway, I made a start on the ailerons. The pics speak for themselves but I included a 20p piece in the 'before' to give the size for those who are not building in 1/48. I've not tried to tidy them up as they need to look a bit ragged.

Gern

View attachment 22643

View attachment 22644

Ailerons before..jpg

Ailerons after..jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ain't it nice bein' on holiday? You get lots of time for what you want to do.

This is the 'blu-tak' pilot in his 'office'. The detail's not brilliant but I think it will be OK when it's buttoned up in the fuselage and silted over.

What I'd like to know is how on Earth you folks cope with 1/72! I usually keep to 1/32 and 1/35 - I'm really struggling with this one at 1/48.

Gern

View attachment 22645

View attachment 22646

Original pilot..jpg

Finished pilot..jpg

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Gern's FW 190

Loveit! Just love it!

Great idea and if the rest of the execution is to this standard, here's one to watch.

Keep 'em coming.

Peter.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, nice to see our 'Blu-Tak' pilot in all his glory, quite good looking!!

Good luck with the dio.

Ron

B

Backbreaker

You're off to a great start Gern, you've got nowt ta worry about.

Joolz.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Loving the pilot, looks ace (now there's a word i havn't used in years). I'm going to keep a eye in this one.

Have fun, John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for your kind remarks guys. Much appreciated!

I'm gonna have a go at the other control surfaces next. Maybe some more pics tonight.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cool elevators! I know I'm a bit slow but if your diorama shows the aircraft being raised from the freezing Norwegian waters after 60 odd years where is the pilot going? I know you're keen not to have it taken too literally but in the real incident the pilot was rescued by some local Norwegians. They were eligible for a reward but instead negotiated the release of a fellow Norwegian who had been jailed for listening to the BBC.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Steve,

I KNEW someone would be able to fill in some of the history for me! Good man!

The real story has a less tragic ending than this one, 'cos unfortunately my pilot didn't survive and his body was recovered along with the 'plane when it was raised.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Excellent,nothing like the odd dead body in a diorama. Here is a potted history of the incident on which you are loosely basing your diorama (which I'm very much looking forward to,it's a great idea) lifted from the Norwegian site.

"December 15, 1943 Fw-190A2 'Yellow 16' took of from the airfield Herdla in Norway. Shortly after takeoff, the pilot experienced engine trouble and had to make a controlled emergency landing on the water near the village of Solsvika west of Bergen. Almost 63 years later, on November 1, 2006, the aircraft got air under its wing again, when it was raised from a depth of 60 meters after a 5 hour recovery operation.

"Local enthusiast knew about this aircraft but the Royal Norwegian Navy vessel KNM Tyr first plotted the exact location on May 11, 2005. The enthusiast formed the “Working Group Fw 190 A2 – Gelbe 16” and began preparations to raise the wreck from the water. Connections with local museums was established and the group gained a mandate from the Norwegian Defence Museum regarding handling and administration of the aircraft which would see it recovered and eventually displayed at its former airfield of Herdla in connection with Herdla Museum.The Working Group was formed by: Geir Tangen, Halvor Sperbund, Ole Sælensminde, Svein Ove Agdestein, Olav Helvik and Ivar Nordland.

"Between May 2005 and June 2006 units from Royal Norwegian Navy led by LtCdr Wiggo Korsvik (Mine & EOD Diving Command with assistance from Royal Norwegian Navy Diving School) conducted several diving expeditions to the aircraft to discern the condition of the wreck and the surrounds in preparation for the lifting of the aircraft. To prevent theft and to gain a picture of the quality of the wreck, the two MG17 guns, along with some cockpit equipment and hatches were recovered. Activity also included the mounting of lifting equipment on the aircraft. From June until September a civilian diving team led by Mr Didrik Venge completed the remainder of the work to rig the aircraft.

"Wednesday November 1, the aircraft was raised. The operation went exactly as planned. The aircraft was lifted onto the former ferry Flekkerøy and transported to the Naval Base Haakonsvern near Bergen. The Naval Base will be hosting the Working Group whilst cleaning and preservation is undertaken up until March 2007. The aircraft will be separated in 6 – 8 main components and place in containers with fresh water to prevent corrosion. When the aircraft parts are cleaned and preserved they will be transported to Herdla museum to make a static display as it is today. There is no plan at the moment to restore the aircraft.

"Fw190 A-2 werk.nr.5425, ‘Yellow 16’ served with 12./JG.5. The pilot was rescued by local fisherman and handed over to German authorities, which in turn released a prisoner held for illegal use of a radio. Several Werk nr have been found on the parts recovered so the actual Werk nr is still open for question. It also have had several tactical markings like, two times Black 6 and one white number before servicing as Gelbe 16, indicating an old war horse that had served with several units. One of the black 6 numbers may be from its time from 11./JG 5 at Sola where it had a accident and had to go through extensive repair. The pilot’s name is at the moment not known but several sources indicate that Kurt Kundrus of 12./JG 5 was the pilot of Gelbe 16 that day. He was later killed while flying with JG 3. The group is looking for information and history regarding 12./JG in Norway, and any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Olve Dybvig odybvig@online.no"

Incidentally the reason the recovered machine has no hood is because the pilot jettisoned it before ditching,which I gather is normal routine.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks great to me dave, the elevators are excellent.Loving the skeleton pilot too!! keep up the good work , cheers tony

A

ajcmac

A macabre work. But there is no doubt that the pilot is amazing. Keep up the good work.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
More hacking and gouging

As promised, I managed to get the rest of the control surfaces hacked out. It took me about 5 hours. In the process I raised 3 blisters, broke 2 micro drills, caused 1 bit of 'flak damage' - which I will be adding to later - and about 300 swear words!

I've just got to thin them down now.

's a good job most of this will be covered up with paint and silt etc. 'cos it looks b****y awful from close up!

Gern

View attachment 22688

View attachment 22689

View attachment 22690

Tail fin..jpg

Port wing..jpg

Starboard wing..jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So I take it you are glad it was only the control surfaces that were fabric covered?

Looks like you are over the worst of it. Looking forwards to the next installment.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You're right there Ian! If the whole thing had been fabric I would have never even contemplated building it. I'm doing some detail painting tonight so maybe some pics later.

Ron - have you looked at the u/c doors on your kit yet?

I don't know if you planned to have them closed or not. If you did, you're gonna have to reshape them 'cos they're so bad they're not even within shouting distance of being a correct fit - even if you used a megaphone to do the shouting!

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Help please!

Having found the u/c doors don't get within a mile of fitting, I'd like to show them sort of half open - as if the hydraulics have leaked or some locking mechanism has failed. (The pilot wouldn't have landed on water with them down.)

There's a folding strut attached to each leg (not the support for the shock absorbers) which connects to the u/c bay. Does anyone know which way it folds? I reckon I could cut it in half by the pivot and 'fold' it to suit.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Gern. First who's to say what would have happened after 60 something years underwater. The strut is called a radius strut and as you have spotted hinges about 2/3 of the way along (making it technically a composite of two struts I suppose). It was attached to a drive unit at the rear of the wheel well. This was powered by an electric motor which was mounted in the main wing spar,there were no hydraulics involved. If you have the main gear in a slightly lowered position it may be useful to know that the inner gear door was closed by the tyre hitting a striker plate on that doors strut lifting the door with the gear. If the gear is slightly down the inner door would be too.

You can see how the rotation of the drive unit both lifted the gear and hinged the strut in this piccy:

And here you can see the little black plate which the tyre hit as it raised the inner door:

Sorry about the crap scans,I might need to check some settings!

Cheers

Steve

Edit. I found the diagram,cunningly hidden in a Bf109 folder!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK, I can see what's happening. Thanks for your help Steve. I gotta tell you I'm now worried about the inner doors on this kit. There aren't any! Did all FW 190s have them, 'cos I might be able to cobble some together.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Did all FW 190s have them, Gern
No they didn't,I forgot what model you're basing this on. As a matter of interest to anyone doing something Ost Front they sometimes removed the main gear doors. Slush and mud would build up and freeze causing problems raising and lowering the undercarriage which,I imagine,could seriously ruin your day!

The shape of the bottom of the main gear door varied quite a bit from dash type to dash type for reasons of ground clearance and also depending on whether inner doors were fitted or not.l

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Steve. One less bit of 'scratching' to do.

Gern