Gern's FW 190 GB

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here's my next lot of pics. I've tidied up the control surfaces a little, but I'll leave them as they are now 'til I've got some paint on them and then see how they look.

Just a couple of minor niggles to sort. There are some gaps around the wing roots, and when the two wing halves are joined there's a step between the wing and the fuselage. I'll probably put a shim in the leading edge of the wing or just leave the gap and fill with putty rather than trying to hide the step. Whichever fix I use, I don't think it's a real problem. Then it's on to the painting.

Gern

View attachment 22895

View attachment 22896

View attachment 22897

View attachment 22898

View attachment 22899

View attachment 22900

View attachment 22901

Side view..jpg

Gap in wings..jpg

Fuel tank..jpg

Tail..jpg

Undercarriage..jpg

Gap in wing root..jpg

Top view..jpg

C

colprit

Dave its coming along nicely mate can't wait to see the finished product.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like your build so far Dave, nice work removing the fabric.

Sorry I didn't reply to your question earlier.

I have had a look at the U/C this morning but as Steve (Stona) points out, after 60 odd yrs. in the 'oggin they would be in a right mess, barnicles and all, so the rougher the better really!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm liking this a lot. There may be something wrong with me but I particularly like the skeletal pilot,a very nice touch.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nothin' wrong with skeletons Steve, there's a lot of 'em about. It's just that you don't see many in 1/48 scale!

Anyway, new pics after painting. I've not spent too much effort on this. Most will be hidden completely and I only need enough to give a hint of the colours.

Next step will be the markings. I'll be using a mixture of signs and numbers 'cos I'm not trying to represent a specific airplane. Those 'in the know' will be able to spot where the various bits and pieces come from no doubt, but I'm only after a sort of 'generic' look to the markings. My apologies if I offend anyone with some sort of impossible mixture!

Gern

View attachment 23011

View attachment 23012

View attachment 23013

Tail unit painte&#100.jpg

Port side painte&#10.jpg

Port wing painte&#10.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well I've got some markings, but the Gods alone know how!

Ron, if you read this before you put your markings on, try to find some others! The ones supplied with the kit are awful. I think I'd have been better off trying to fix them on with screws and Rawlplugs! There's a couple of coats of Klear holding them down (that's where the odd colour stains have come from) so I've got to wait and see if they settle without silvering.

Gern

View attachment 23014

View attachment 23015

Bottom markings..jpg

Side markings..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
99 times out of 100 those odd stains will go with time and/or another Klear coat. If not put it down to the ravages of a watery environment!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, you have probably seen the set of photos of your aircraft on Google images, did you see the close up of cross and lettering after it was raised from the 'oggin? You could hardly make anything out so I wouldn't be too worried about them. As Steve points out, the aircraft has been underwater for 60 odd years so everything will be covered with marine growth anyway....

Thanks for the warning..

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
coming on nicely dave, cant wait to see it get all muckied up! cheers tony

A

ajcmac

It is curious that on Saturday at the History Channel, I saw the recovery of an Fw 190 that was submerged about 20, 30 meters. Missing a propeller blade, had no glass cockpit and the rudders and drift were like your model. Y could see perfectly the German symbols and one identification number, 6. I could not see the other items of identification. From what I saw was not hit by projectiles. He had no marks at least visible.

Ah, had no pilot.

Good job.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thank you all very much for your support.

Now comes the best bit. I've ground up a load of pastels to create the silt which covers the 'plane. My thought is to use a basic adhesive spray and an old pepper pot to dust the pastels on. The horizontal surfaces will need several applications - pics later.

Keep your fingers crossed for me please!

Antonio, I don't watch TV so I missed this programme. I wish I had seen it though.

Ooops! I was just about to sign off when I realised I forgot summat! I've got to add some more bits of shrapnel damage first. Better do that before I put the pastels on!

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Good luck Dave, i can't wait to see this mate it's going to look great.

:grinball2: John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
It is curious that on Saturday at the History Channel, I saw the recovery of an Fw 190 that was submerged about 20, 30 meters. Missing a propeller blade, had no glass cockpit and the rudders and drift were like your model. Y could see perfectly the German symbols and one identification number, 6. I could not see the other items of identification. From what I saw was not hit by projectiles. He had no marks at least visible.Ah, had no pilot.

Good job.
Antonio, a bit of history of this aircraft......

It was an FW 190 A2 "Yellow 16" from 12/JG5 based in Norway nr. Bergen.

Shortly after take off it suffered mechanical problems and ditched in the sea. A local fisherman rescued the pilot.

The Luftwaffe offered a reward for saving the pilot but the fisherman refused, and instead asked that a friend of his be released from prison where he had been taken for listening to illegal radio transmissions from England.....The man was released.

Sorry Gern for 'lending' your thread post this bit of info.

Ron

A

ajcmac

Well, sorry but when I said "Ah, had no pilot" was not a critical nor a call for attention but because I saw, for the first time, a modeler to put a skeleton in the model, and well. I hope not to have passed to you this idea.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here we go again.

Antonio and Ron nudged the couple of brain cells I have into action! Thanks guys.

The 'real' rescued 'plane suffered with engine failure and I asked myself why MY airplane had crashed.

Unfortunately my 'plane was hit by flak which created a fire in the engine. The pilot was forced to ditch but passed out from loss of blood due to his injuries before he could get out.

NOW I think I'm ready to add the 'silt'!

Gern

View attachment 23032

View attachment 23033

View attachment 23034

Cause of death..jpg

Flak damage..jpg

Engine fire..jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
All 'silted' up. I don't think it looks too bad, but what do you guys reckon?

I've got to make some kind of frame to support it over my base and doubtless some of the 'silt' will be rubbed off while I'm setting that up. If I lose too much, I've got plenty left to re-coat it.

Does anyone know where I can find some narrow flat strips of material (like ribbon perhaps) at least 12 inches long, about 300 mm in new money, that I could use to make some lifting straps? To be in scale it would need to be 2 - 3 mm wide at most. I've got an idea about using cord (as scale rope) with protective padding but I'd rather use straps if possible.

Gern

View attachment 23035

View attachment 23036

Silted starboard..jpg

Silted port..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done on the silt,it looks most convincing. How about strips of doubled tape (back to back) for straps. It might give a bit of texture.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I love the effect you have got with the 'silt', very effective. Would it not seal with that artists sealant that they use to cover charcoal drawings? Or even flat acrylic varnish genty airbrushed from a distance at low pressure? Maybe not, I know nothing about these pigments and chalks, something I still have to have a go at.

Don't forget the good old standby for straps, masking tape. I would look at ordinary masking tape from a hardware store rather than Tamiya type as it has a bit of texture to it. Stick two pieces together, sticky to sticky, and then cut strips with a sharp knife and a steel rule.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Fair do's Gern that silt is spot on, no question!

I wouldn't touch one bit of it.

O.K., some will, not might have, rubbed off...Take a few ruffy tuffy divers putting the slings in place, they are cold, can't see much and want to be anywhere else but in the cold North Sea so they will be in a hurry and at that depth, not much time to complete the task.

You bet there will be growth rubbed off!!

I speak from experience many moons ago!!

Leave it alone Dave. LOL!

C

colprit

what about using a bandage for the straps maybe doubled up to the right thickness and some pva glue, not tried it myself but it might give you the webbing look for the straps.