SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks.

I posted pics of this in an earlier thread but here's what I'm doing:

View attachment 74047

View attachment 74048

View attachment 74049

I felt sorry for the guy who was supposed to load this thing! The gun shield is so close to the end of the barrel that it would have to be raised for him to do his job - and therefore he'd be standing in plain sight of the enemy! I decided to extend the original base and add some green stuff. Got it finished and just need to touch up the figures and accessories. The ropes will be threaded through the hands of the guys controlling the gate.

View attachment 74050

View attachment 74051

View attachment 74052

The pics have shown up a couple of places where some touch-ups need to be done.

Gern

PS Ian. I'm guessing that this sort of build wouldn't count towards the "What's not in the box" GB as it's basically the dio equivalent of adding resin/PE aftermarket stuff?

Box.JPG

Parts1.JPG

Parts2.JPG

Base1.JPG

Base2.JPG

Base3.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Holy crap thats a big untethered cannon!!! This is brilliant to see dave , something really different. That cannon looks lethal for both the operators and the recipients!! The other thing that struck me was the codpiece on the guy with the job of lighting the touchpaper! I think hes keeping some spare (cannon) balls down there ! tony

C

CDW

And this week's understatement of the year award goes to Tony with.....

\ said:
Holy crap thats a big untethered cannon!!!
This looks like a great kit to play around with Dave, looking forward to what you make of it

Are you adding any little extras?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wow, superb board Dave, that is one nasty looking beasty, not only for the enemy but for the crew as well!

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

Lovely work Gern!

It's a very interesting kit, excellent choice!

Polux

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Tony, methinks codpieces were the medieval equivalent of driving a 1.1 Metro with a body kit, or carrying a Desert Eagle as a sidearm!

They're supposed to say: "I've got a great big tonker!" But what they actually say is: "I AM a great big tonker!":D

Col, I don't think I'll be bothering too much about extras except what's in the box. Hardly seems worthwhile in 1/72 - what d'you reckon?

Gern

PS I found 'tonker' in Terry Pratchett. Check it out 'cos he does use some good words!

P

Polux

The next time you have to build one of her castles..... are funny!

I do one time ago, quikly, just for play a RPG one evening with the friends.....remember the old times,,,,, :smiling3:

Cheers

Polux

C

CDW

Yeah go for it Dave, try and add as much as you can..... Put the gern twist on it :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Polux - I have one of the Zvezda castles. It's rather badly made but I'm hoping to be able to use parts of it in a dio. This cannon will be included along with some of their seige machines and some figures. Sadly, the only figures I have are fighting types and it would be nice to include some operating the machines - have to see what I can find.

OK Col. You talked me into it!

Gern

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave. Don't stand behind the cannon though!

First Name
Andy
Hi Gern,

This is looking great Sir, now looking forward to seeing what else your now going to add... ;)

I think the loader would be protected by the firing door, as they have it on the box picture, they would only open it just enough for him to be able to pop some powder and a ball into the cannon...o_O

What gets me though, I wonder what the ones they where attacking where thinking about whilst the enemy where doing all this work in front, digging big holes for the cannon, popping up a fence with tilting doors etc...:confused:

Andy...

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi Gern,This is looking great Sir, now looking forward to seeing what else your now going to add... ;)

I think the loader would be protected by the firing door, as they have it on the box picture, they would only open it just enough for him to be able to pop some powder and a ball into the cannon...o_O

What gets me though, I wonder what the ones they where attacking where thinking about whilst the enemy where doing all this work in front, digging big holes for the cannon, popping up a fence with tilting doors etc...:confused:

Andy...
Thanks Andy, but less of the 'Sir' please! :smiling3: .

I don't think the loading process was that simple or quick. After each firing, the barrel would have to be sponged out with water to make sure there are no embers to set off the new gunpowder charge. Then the powder is added, which for a thing this size might mean more than one of those scoops. Then the wadding to compress the powder into a single mass, and finally the shot itself. That's four or five times that poor guy has to shove something down the barrel; and with those long poles to make sure everything reaches the far end, I'm not sure he'd be able to get them in there unless there's a good gap under the shield. I tried with the ramrod in the kit and couldn't get it into the barrel until the door was half open, so I figured I'd add a bit more room between them .......

I've also wondered what the defenders were doing while all these earthworks were built. Unless they were kept under fire by the rest of the attacking force - or maybe they had more portable fences to hide behind while digging.

Gern