Gern's Pegasus Mercury 9

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
'e's off again! Having done a wartime dio and a couple of civilian vehicles, I thought it was time for a change so I picked this.

IMGP3795.JPG

Like a numpty I forgot to get pictures of all the sprues etc before I started - my next post will include pics of these. The rocket comes with some sort of control building and assorted re-fuelling machinery which is all very basic and frugal with the details. Just as Pete - all hail the 'Dark Lord of the Toons!' - has done with his dockside buildings, I have decided to tart these up some.

Cut out the large viewing window. Before anyone asks, no, I'm not going to do all the little ones.
IMGP3790.JPG

Added doors and a skylight to the workshop areas
IMGP3791.JPG
IMGP3792.JPG

I've managed to find some machinery for the workshops and knocked up a dividing door

IMGP3793.JPG

I've got a floor for the admin building and I've started to put together control panels etc to give something to be seen through the large viewing window

IMGP3794.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As promised, the missing pics

IMGP3796.JPGIMGP3797.JPGIMGP3798.JPGIMGP3799.JPG

I'll also be putting the whole thing onto a base and I have a few ideas about that. Be warned though - it'll be Earth based so no moonscape full of craters and certainly no little green bug-eyed monsters from planet Zog!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great project and something I've never seen.

As an expert, can I just say that the control building looks a bit close to the launch pad!

Freundliche Grüße

Werner von Braun

You're right - much too close. I gotta take a leaf out of the railway modellers book here. They have stations just a few feet apart when in reality there should be hundreds of yards between them. Although the building and the rocket are supposed to be in scale, I'll have to put them too close else I'll be knockin' on your door asking for space to put my launch pad!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There's no scale given on the box or instructions but online sites quote it as 1/350. I hadn't planned on using that as a reference - after all, you have no idea how big it is! I've gone with the standard reference:
IMGP3800.JPG

The building is quite small (as you can see, I'm still adding details); but the rocket is quite large. I couldn't see this thing getting off the ground if it's really that large compared to what looks like a five-storey building
IMGP3801.JPG

That bit of the rocket is probably just about half of the total height. There's a large base, plus the fin extensions and there's a small detachable rocket pod that fits on top. Overall I'd say it's about 15" tall (375mm in new money).

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
There's no scale given on the box or instructions but online sites quote it as 1/350. I hadn't planned on using that as a reference - after all, you have no idea how big it is! I've gone with the standard reference:
View attachment 386463

The building is quite small (as you can see, I'm still adding details); but the rocket is quite large. I couldn't see this thing getting off the ground if it's really that large compared to what looks like a five-storey building
View attachment 386464

That bit of the rocket is probably just about half of the total height. There's a large base, plus the fin extensions and there's a small detachable rocket pod that fits on top. Overall I'd say it's about 15" tall (375mm in new money).
Maybe the building is in the distance..... :tears-of-joy:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. Here's the big question. Does anyone manufacture 1/350 civilian vehicles - other than Shapeways miniatures who make a selection I'd need a second mortgage to buy!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I couldn't see this thing getting off the ground if it's really that large compared to what looks like a five-storey building... Overall I'd say it's about 15" tall (375mm in new money).

375 mm at 1:350 would be over 420 feet high, which is a bloody big rocket! I googled the Saturn V and that was 'only' 363 feet tall.

It's still feasible, a mere 60 feet taller than the Americans best effort :smiling3:

Heil mein Fuhrer

Dr Strangelove

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well I've been faffing about with this build all day and most of the night with not much to show for it. Loads of searching through my spares box and head scratching (you've no idea how many splinters I got!) for potential ideas. Two full days work so far and the only four bits of the actual kit that I've glued together are the front and back halves of the building and the searchlight and it's tower!

The viewing balcony. I know it looks dangerous because the rocket is so close, but that's a bit of poetic license. In reality the rocket would be at least a couple of miles away, but Steve won't let me set up my launch site in his house, so I'm going to have to compress the scale a little.

IMGP3802.JPG

I did a little more for instrument panels etc in the control room - still need some bits of paint for the instruments, doors, worktops etc.

IMGP3804.JPG

... and these. Don't ask!

IMGP3803.JPG

Figures in blue are staff for the control room, the other two will go on the balcony. I have another dozen or so figures but you'll be lucky if you get to see more than maybe a couple in the car park!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nice one Dave great work so far. You have my full attention as I'm sure I have the exact same kit buried away somewhere in the stash.