Gern's Pegasus Mercury 9

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good Dave.....with respect to your problem, could you just put glue in the slot? Should be easier to fit without getting glue everywhere then....

Definitely a senior moment from me Tim! Simple answer and I never even gave it a thought! Senility seems to have finally set in with a vengeance!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Building up the tab seems a logical approach to me Dave, as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the assembly. Great progress on this now and you seem a little more relaxed about the build. One step at a time Sir. :thumb2:
Rick H

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Rick. I think I've got the kit sorted. One or two thinks still needed for the base but they're more a matter of asthetics rather than build. Hopefully, I'll be starting that this weekend.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mind your eyes folks! I know I said I wasn't going for the all silver Buck Rogers look but:

IMGP3844.JPGIMGP3845.JPGIMGP3846.JPG

The building looks a bit small:

IMGP3847.JPG

My bits of angle strip have arrived so I can carry on with the crane, but I've had a thought. Why would the landing field have a separate crane to lift the pod on to a tractor? Wouldn't they use the same vehicle to both pick it up and transport it? Gotta work on that.

PS It'sgood job I won't be posing the model with the pod on top of the booster. Pegasus have struck again at the last hurdle - it don't fit!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Aaaarrrggghhh!!! It's happened again! Why has my PC suddenly decided to overwrite characters instead of inserting them? It means I can't edit anything unless I add it at the very end. Help please!

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Aaaarrrggghhh!!! It's happened again! Why has my PC suddenly decided to overwrite characters instead of inserting them? It means I can't edit anything unless I add it at the very end. Help please!

your keyboard ( assuming pc , not apple ) has a "insert" button next to home, above delete on a full size keyboard.
It may be a function and a button on a laptop etc
click it once , try typing , if that causes over write , click again.

when you press it , you should notice the on screen cursor on the webboard change

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave are you on windows 10 ? as it might be that bloomin cortana as some times it take over my pc an deletes things that I did not instruct the pc to do aaaahhhhh
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry Gary. Can't see that on my keyboard.

IMGP3850.JPG

I think you're right though. My curser does change when I move it over text I have already written. Which button am I looking for?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HI Dave are you on windows 10 ? as it might be that bloomin cortana as some times it take over my pc an deletes things that I did not instruct the pc to do aaaahhhhh
chris

Cortana doesn't live here Chris. I won't allow the scheming witch in the house!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As Gary says, it's the 'ins' (insert) and 'prt sc' (print screen) key.

Cheers

Bill Gates

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yaaayyy! Sorted! Pressed the Insert key you pointed out and I'm back in business! You may regret that considering the amount of waffle I do and the questions I keep asking, but thanks guys!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
....and this from the man who can smell Eccles Cakes for 100yds. (Cosford joke)

Promise me you'll buck up, Dave!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. Having 'bucked' up somewhat, I had a thunk about cranes and tractors. I wasn't happy about the clunky appearance of my tower crane and the idea that there would be multiple vehicles at the landing field. I've changed things around and come up with this:

A tractor crane and trailer:

IMGP3853.JPG

Not many parts actually assembled yet, but I think this looks better. I'm going to add some weight at the back of the tractor to stop it tipping and there's still an issue with the height of the crane, but I think I've got that sorted with my ideas for the base:

IMGP3854.JPG

Onwards and upwards!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Finally! I think I've finished with the rocket part of this build.

The trailer (it does actually hook up to the tractor but the coupling is a bit delicate so they will stay separated 'til it's time to fix them to the base:

IMGP3855.JPGIMGP3856.JPG

The pod looks a bit lopsided here, but that's just the camera angle. It is upright and level:

IMGP3857.JPG

I'm quite pleased how my crane turned out. Much better than my first attempt (Speaking of which, I'll have to have a go at finding a suitable opportunity to use the first crane base I made):

IMGP3858.JPG

A three-way thingie for lifting the pod - there are three connector whatsits that the crew of the pod release from the hull and hook up to these (notice how much clearer the explanations are using the correct technical terms instead of trying to use basic English?):

IMGP3859.JPG

Closer views of the crane body:

IMGP3860.JPGIMGP3861.JPG

And of course, no self-respecting crane would be without stabiliser arms:

IMGP3862.JPGIMGP3863.JPG

Only on one side but for a simple job, a simple solution!

A good blast of primer next then paint which will hide LOTS of niggly bits, then I can make a start on the base.

Just as a side note, it took me an hour to fix the three bits of EZ line I used for the rigging. I hope the Gods are feeling generous with their help as I've just ordered a 1/700 sailing ship!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's what you get for playing at being a crane "Rigger". Nothing like a 1/700 string tying nightmare. Cheers, Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

First off, an apology to Pegasus! The rocket pod does sit quite nicely on top of the booster. I don't know why it didn't fit when I first tried it, but it's OK now.

On to the base. You know I said my new crane isn't quite tall enough? I was right - it isn't quite tall enough by about 100mm!! So a massive re-think was needed on the base. Sorted though. I'm gonna have my rocket sat in a silo! I got an old biscuit tin which is about 220mm diameter, the base of the rocket is roughly 170mm so it's a reasonable fit. Don't forget, the pilot has to line up his fins with those tiny clamps, so he's got plenty of clearance! Think of Alan Tracy guiding Thunderbird 3 down through the observation walkway, back under the swimming pool!

I'm making a 'wall' around my MDF base from insulation foam which is 80mm high. That plus two flat layers of 20mm thick board gives me the 100mm I need. Does anyone know where I can get that pink foam the Americans use? That comes in much thicker sheets. The only thicker sheets than 20mm I've found so far are unbelieveably expensive!

The height of the tin is only about 60mm, so my plan is to line it with some thin card 100mm high to match the surround. I'm almost forced to line the inside anyway as I don't want to leave it bare, smooth metal. It will be easier to add a few details if I'm fixing them to plastic rather than metal. Don't get carried away folks, the details will only be some reinforcing ribs - absolutely nothing like the tunnels under Tracy Island! I'll have to use three sheets anyway, so there will be three joins I'll need to hide with some thin strips. That and a few horizontal strips will be about it!

I bought some foam sheets a few years back which are really soft. They're about 2mm thick so if I can cut them straight enough, they will be perfect, although I'm going to check they'll stick using ordinary glue. I don't want to be messing around with PVA!

I blame Ron for all this! He introduced me to the fun of dioramerering, now it seems I can't do even a simple build without doing something to it!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH DAVE youre getting mixed up with:thinking: Thinkin of Alan Tracy guiding Thunderbird 3 down through the observation walkway, back under the swimming pool! THAT'S SCOTT in thunderbird 1 lol :rolling: :smiling:
CHRIS