Gern's ZSU-23-4M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks. Here's my entry for this GB:

IMGP2125.JPG IMGP2126.JPG IMGP2127.JPG IMGP2128.JPG IMGP2129.JPG
Seems to be nicely moulded with lots of detail. There is some flash in places, but it doesn't look like that will cause any problems.

I'd like to do the figures as well - their camo scheme looks like a nice challenge - but that means they've got to have somewhere to stand, which means a dio. I'll see how it goes.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one Dave, looks a good kit from the photos . I assume all those little bits on the first sprue are individual track links? and whats the bag with what looks like fishing line in it for? I reckon the figures will just round the build off nicely coupled with a simple grass base (or snow?) cheers tony

D

dubster72

Nice choice Dave, the ZSU has always been a mean weapons platform.

F

Fenlander

I like to see something a bit different being built. Nice one Dave.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Bob - It is nicely detailed without having a zillion parts which is good. One drawback is sometimes the detail is not the best. For example on this one, the wood saw which all Russian vehicles seem to carry is moulded onto the hull. At the very least that's going to make it tricky to paint.

Tony - Yes, they are individual track links. I'm not a fan of these as they can be time consuming, and if you're going to muddy them up on a dio, the extra detail they give compared to 'rubber-band' tracks is usually hidden. These don't look too bad, but there's a pin mark on every link that I'll have to deal with. That's something to look forward to!

The string is used to make a towing cable. As an aircraft guy, I'd guess you haven't seen many of those as very few aircraft seem to carry one:D

I agree that a few figures and a simple base can add a lot to a build, but that's what I thought with my 'LOTR' figures - and that turned into months of work while I worked out how to build the caves of Moria!!

Graham - Like you, I like things that are a little different and that's what drew me to this kit.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
a nice looking kit,Dave,should be a good build,real like,the added figures,;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent kit Dave, always wanted to build one of those;)...........Jim:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So.... You found the glue yet?

Yeah! I've got it all built except the guns and tracks. I found a bit of work so I've not had chance to post pics but I'll get some done this weekend.

First Name
Gregg
Looking forward to an update on this one.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK folks. Finally managed to get some pics.

IMGP2130.JPG IMGP2131.JPG IMGP2132.JPG IMGP2133.JPG

I know it says Dragon on the box, but I'm not desperately impressed with this one. I only mention that as a couple of you voted Dragon as perhaps the best maker of armour kits at the moment in a recent thread. No major issues (certainly nothing that anyone here couldn't cope with), but there was more clean up of flash and seam lines than I expected. I also needed some filler here and there and some of the instructions could have been better. Not the kind of things I'd expect to have to deal with from the best kits around.

Mind you, it is pretty old, so if mine is a late casting from a mould which is starting to wear and show it's age, that could explain some of the problems - and I reckon it'll look pretty good if I do a half decent job with the painting. You shouldn't be put off buying one if you want something a little cheaper than the Meng version.

There is a storage box which is supposed to fit on the right of the turret top (looking forward from the rear). I have no idea how this is supposed to fit as there is a step and a line of rivets where it is supposed to go. Any ideas anyone? I've seen some pictures of the real thing which don't have this box, so I think I can get away with leaving it off. (I've just seen a gap that needs to be filled in that area. I'll do that if I leave the storage box off).

PS The radar unit and breech cover aren't fixed yet. I'll fix them after painting.

D

dubster72

At last, pictures! :p

Starting to look the part Dave :smiling3: as for the name on the box, Cyberhobby often release older Dragon kits that aren't quite up to their Smart Kit standards.

Wait till you see my King Tiger - then you'll know where the extra money is spent ;)