Getting Started

First Name
Paul
Hi all, this is a first for me so please bare with it at the start and we will see how it goes. Hopefully in this section we can cover anything from a full sculpt of a figure, to converting OOB figures and also some painting techniques.

If anyone wants to have a go i will post a list of basic tools, some of which you may have, and different types of putty/clay that we can use. As it progresess we can have a group sculpt build, i am hoping that i can get a few more people interested in sculpting, its a great way to make your own figures at a fraction of the cost of buying kits, and also there are suppliers out there that need new figures to make into kits and are willing to pay for them so it also earns you a bit of dosh as well.

Please add your posts to this one for now so we dont end up with a large amount of different post, than as it progresses we can change that if needed

more to follow

Paul

First Name
Paul
I thought id put up a few pics of the type of tools that i use, these obviously are not exclusive and you may chose to use other items

First of all the clay. I use sculpey putty which is a polymer based clay that sets by heating in the oven, so can be re moulded and worked time and again until your happy with the result,. There are different types of sculpey but i use the super sculpey just out of preference

Then theres the tools, the first set i bought was a candle/clay carvers set. from evil bay about £6.00 so not expensive

These have a multitude of different ends and shapes

i also use this, again from ebay, dont worry no needles involved

this again has different heads and will produce a variety of shapes

These are just some other tools for clay working

and finally i have this, this is a liquid polymer clay which acts as a bonding agent for fixing new clay to clay that has been baked

You dont need all of these to get started but some clay would help

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great Idea Paul I will watch with interest and open ears