Getting to the bottom of the pile, Tamiya StuG Ausf B

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Another one finished:upside:

However after doing a good modulation attempt i tried using VMS 2 in 1 decal solution for the first time, it went pear shaped:sad: i totally ignored that you apply the decals directly onto the paint without using gloss varnish first!!

I was left with a horrible tide mark after using varnish to seal which would involve stripping the paint to remove, so i thought bugger that, so reached for oils and pigments.

It has metal tracks

20210429_114609.jpg
20210429_114713.jpg
20210429_114701.jpg
20210429_114650.jpg
20210429_114503.jpg

Think i may have over cooked it folks!! I had not planned this StuG to look like this, bugger!!

Have since used the decal solution on a practice kit and it worked perfectly, so it sure pays to pay attension to the video on how to use!!

All feedback good or bad, appreciated.

Have the same problem on the Hummel but worse, ouch!!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great contrast with the pigments. Very impressed with the running gear and exhausts. I have always liked the L shaped markings on the fenders so that was nice to see. Despite all the issues Bob you have done a great job.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice one Bob :thumb2:
Thank you Steve
Great contrast with the pigments. Very impressed with the running gear and exhausts. I have always liked the L shaped markings on the fenders so that was nice to see. Despite all the issues Bob you have done a great job.
Many thanks Steve, well i hope!

Think i just about saved this one Steve, really like using pigments. On the superstucture they are not fixed just lightly brushed on.

The L.markings on the fender mudflaps were for following StuG's at night only on B i think
Next the Hummel

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great to me....like it’s gone through a hard Russian summer and is now in the even worse Russian autumn.....
I’ve had similar issues with Microsol in the past but a second coat of varnish over the decal cured the tidemar. Might be worth trying a spot of varnish on an inconspicuous place on the Hummel before repainting.....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks great to me....like it’s gone through a hard Russian summer and is now in the even worse Russian autumn.....
I’ve had similar issues with Microsol in the past but a second coat of varnish over the decal cured the tidemar. Might be worth trying a spot of varnish on an inconspicuous place on the Hummel before repainting.....
Much apprecated Tim, tried that no change

Might try using oils to fade the area, the Hummel has large side panels so it looks much worse

Ah well all my fault :angry:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob FOR the life of me i cant see any thing wrong on that stug in fact to me it all looks right as its had a hard time in russia so in my opinion its a bueatifull build an very realistic
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob FOR the life of me i cant see any thing wrong on that stug in fact to me it all looks right as its had a hard time in russia so in my opinion its a bueatifull build an very realistic
chris
Very kind of you, always worried about how my stuff turns out
Bob, I think the Stug looks mint and not even slightly "overcooked" .

Good save from my point of view.
Many thanks, much appreciated

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
Love the stug mate, very nicely done indeed. It's a bummer about the decal liquid but I'm sure a man of your skills will salvage it.
Thank you Paul

The decal issue is all my fault, have tried on another kit without varnish and on top of paint and perfect, so have to sort out my own mess :tired: