Gloss Acrylic Varnish?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been using Vallejo Premium Gloss Varnish, applied by airbrush on my Bugatti ( waiting for sixth coat to dry! ). Does anybody have a favourite water based gloss varnish? I say water based, because I seem to have become ultra sensitive to odours. I used white spirit to clean brushes last week, and the smell seemed to linger for days. I wonder if any of the newer products show improvement over older?
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I use 'AMMO MIG 2053 - Glossy lucky varnish (60ml)',
it works good but you should not 'flood' the surface, so it should be applied in thin coats, about 5 minutes between each coat.

D

Deleted member 7181

Alclad Aqua Gloss for me.

I use it to give a glossy surface for washes, or seal decals and protect them from the following lacquer varnish, but it leaves a respectable and durable gloss finish by itself.

Straight from the bottle, but is very susceptible to surface contamination (finger prints etc) so I find it best to use a couple of light coats before giving it a decent one (or two)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I hear very positive results for VMS varnish which I think may be water based?
Don’t quote me on it though !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not that it helps but I've got a bottle of mig lucky satin varnish I'm going to use on current build if people are intrested ill show the results Dave
David.
I don't have any satin varnish! - I just mix matt & gloss to 50/50..................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Humbrol clear works well, as does Johnson Klear (or whatever it’s called now). Galleria Matt is excellent so the gloss will be just as good in all probability. As with all gloss finishes the secret is in the preparation. Another worthwhile trick is to leave the gloss paint/varnish whatever, to gas off for about a week, then polish it with fine polishing compound. This gives it a beautiful glow.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i really like Mr Hobby Aquaeous...........just make sure you use their thinner (which is water with 'stuff' in it lol)......i get nice results with matt or gloss

its in the shop on here

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's a bit of a surprise - I thought one brand would show above the others! Nearly everyone has their 'own brand' favourite!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It’s probably because gloss varnish is usually quite reliable. Matt varnish, on the other hand can be right cantankerous stuff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have used the Vallejo varnishes with good results. They all bennefit from a dang good shake and stir. Especially the matt as it can give white spot if not mixed 200%.
The gloss builds up to a good finish with several coats.
I did get a super glossy finish once from Humbrol. Just a pity that it should have been matt. And was on a tank!

D

Deleted member 5496

Alclad 11 Laquer Aqua Gloss Clear Dave.

Then robust, very, very forgiving if you over load thins as it dries not had any tears. Dries in 30 mins for next coat. Thin & does not clog detail. Used to use Vallejo until 3 years ago but find this stuff the bees knees.

Best matt I found Vallejo Polyurethene/Acrylic superb very very matt finish . Also very forgiving.

Laurie

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dave

As Si has said, I too have heard very good things about VMS. Night Shift races about it on his YouTube channel. Apparently and unusually, rather than light coats as is usual, you almost have to flood the model.

I had been using Vallejo VJ70510 Model Color 17ml Glossy Varnish without issue for a few years but since October I've using the latest incarnation Future/Klear, called Pledge 11182 Revive It Floor Gloss, 27 Ounce.

I've used it several times now. Sprays beautifully straight from the bottle (0.4mm needle), nice and glossy, very hard given it's a floor varnish, dries in 30 minutes and easy to clean. Price wise it's a no brainer - 1.9 pence per ml vs 14.5 per ml for Vallejo's VJ70510 17ml Glossy Varnish.

Hope that helps.

Yours

Andrew

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000A...abc_HXDHFDPZ5N5DK63AKMMW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I hear very positive results for VMS varnish which I think may be water based?
Don’t quote me on it though !
I used VMS varnishes, they purport to be used straight from the bottle into the airbrush.
Well, they don't, it clogs up very quickly.

Even when thinned it's not very airbrush friendly and as already mentioned you have to put it on very thick, overall quite a messy affair which is unusual for VMS as Thier products are usually excellent.

I'm now using Vallejo Mecha which IS bottle to airbrush friendly and gives a lovely finish (as long as you shake it really well!!!)

Del

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've got some MiG Lucky Gloss Varnish on order - all these gloss finish cars I've been making has meant that my gloss varnish bottle has emptied very quickly!
Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Where to start ,I've only ever used floor polish as a varnish coat and even then only if I thought about it,always put filters and then washes etc just over the bare acrylic always wondering why the varnish coat ,apart from a bit of decal silver its worked without for me ,have started to muck about a bit with oils so began to think that perhaps a coat of something might help so as mentioned earlier I'd a un used bottle of mig lucky satin varnish and would give my findings?
So? Bottle says no need to thin? Gives a recommended psi apply in light passes allowing five minuets between coats. Not trusting I made a few passes on the under side , it all pooled into little blobs , rude words followed but pushed it about with just air through the brush this smoothed it out , so next dropped the pressure still got the beading but nowhere near as bad ,mmmm show it the bin ? Na dropped the pressure again put seven drops in the cup and a couple of brush loads of water and mixed it up and went again almost there , found the further out you spray from ,passing not quickly but not hanging about I got a very gentle coat laid down , by my reckoning you'd need to build up five or six coats ,not fun and could be time better spent still got some on . I'm not giving up perhaps next time I'll use a little bit of self l leveling thinner, if it thins acrylic paint why not acrylic varnish,I cant recomend it but won't condem it just yet. Dave
20210404_114416.jpg
20210404_114501.jpg
You can see the end of the barrel is flat ,that's where it was held whilst applying varnish.

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi David. I use Vallejo satin polyurethene/acrylic.

Very forgiving self levelling if you over do it a bit. Just one coat. 20PSI & keep the brush moving.

I start one side with a lightish coat then the other then first with a full coat. Finished in one.

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Like Del, been using VMS varnish but with no problems, very good shake, no thinning, no problems with airbrushing.

Really like the products