Gloss Paint Finish

B

BCALMAN

Hi, I'm quite new to model making and I'm having problems with the finish of gloss paint. After the paint is applied, whether dried or not, There are loads of tiny 'bits', almost like dust particles which is spoiling the finish. I've tried thinning the paint with thinners using various amounts of thinner and I've tried being very sparing when applying the paint to the surface. However many parts of thinner to paint I prepare, it makes no difference. It also makes no difference if I wash the model with soapy water. I've even changed my brushes. Just to add, the paint is properly stirred.
This problem does not happen with Matt paint.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks,

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Could you give us some more information of the type/brand you are using?

Or maybe a picture of your model if possible

B

BCALMAN

Hi, thanks for responding, I'm currently using Humbrol Gloss 19 (red).

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Does this happen with any of your other tins of gloss paint? Or only with that particular tin of paint?
If it is only with that one tin I can think of two possible explanations -

A few years ago Humbrol transferred or contracted out their manufacture to foreign parts, and after complaints even they agreed that the quality had gone down. Now production has been brought back to Britain and the quality is back to a high standard
You might just have an older, duff batch of paint

It could literally be dust - perhaps plastic dust from storing your paints close to the bench where you work on your models. The dust will collect in the recessed rim of the tin, and can be transferred to the paint as you open & stir it. The answer is to religiously blow out the rim, or dust it with a cheapish soft brush every time you use it

The problem might happen with matt paint, but you wouldn't notice it

The answer in each case is to cut your losses and buy a new tin
You could also ask Humbrol for their advice - they might just send you another tin

B

BCALMAN

Hi, thank you for responding. Yes, it does happen to other gloss paints all of which have been humbrol. They are new tins. If it is dust, I'm not sure how to resolve this, as the brushes are cleaned before use and the tins are away from the model until needed.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Colin.
You mention dust like particles, I think zuludog is correct. If you catch the light right in any room you can see those minute dust particles. In the air . A Pity after you have achieved a finish.
John.

Last edited:

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Ask Humbrol, they may have encountered this before. Even if they haven't they will probably be able to give you some advice, or ask for a tin so they can examine it

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The answer is to religiously blow out the rim, or dust it with a cheapish soft brush every time you use it
Never blow dust! It'll float around in the air until it finds a nice freshly-painted surface to land on. A slightly damp brush is better.
Are you painting in a dusty (=normal) room? Do the specks appear straight away, or not until the paint has dried? How bad is the problem? Can you sand them off with very fine abrasive paper then polish the paint? Someone I read about keeps a large plastic container with a lid on, and straight after painting a model he takes the lid off the container and inverts it over the model, to keep stray dust particles from settling.

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m with Pete on this one. I think what you have here is dust landing on the surface after painting. If the finish is intended to be gloss, or I am using slow drying paint such as humbrol or oil paints, I use plastic containers to cover models while they dry. Another trick is to make sure the area where you paint is as dust free as possible so you can minimise the potential for dust to fall on the model....
Cheers
Tim

First Name
Adrian
I've heard of people placing freshly painted models under cake boxes so nothing settles on there work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
When ever I have painted with gloss paint, I always leave it directly under my extractor and leave it running for a few hours.... A damp cloth to wipe up the dust in the immediate area also helps.
Adrians tip about an upturned cake box also works well. Remember to have it resting on a couple of blocks so the paint can dry though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ian
I might be misunderstanding you, but wouldn’t the extractor pull air over the model, so increasing the chance of dust impacts? The cake box minimises settling and airflow, so reducing the chance of dust impacts....that’s why it works...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I might be misunderstanding you, but wouldn’t the extractor pull air over the model,
Maybe it does that is why I also dust the area with a damp cloth to remove any standing dust. I should point out that my extractor is attached to an adjustable desk lamp so I can have it any place I need it.
Also if the painted item is on a base of some form, be it a bord, plate or turntable the air will normally go past rather than around.
It normally works for me. Maybe the lack of soft furnishings and the such helps. (And the room is a cat free zone!)

B

BCALMAN

Thanks for all your responses, very helpful and appreciated. I'm finding these tiny particles appear immediately upon painting. I've cleaned the model, stirred the paint intensively, used new brushes, washed brushes but am struggling to beat the problem.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just a thought because I really can't add to the posts so far. If the problem is evenly spread over all surfaces I would suspect the paint or the painting process. Dust settling on or being blown onto the wet paint would be more apparent on the horizontal surfaces or on one side.
Like others I cover just painted models especially if using enamels.
I hope you sort out the problem as it must be very frustrating.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good point Jim,
Calman, how exactly do you clean and store your brushes? Last thing, do you wash the model as well? Could be something on the model surface rather than the paint you are putting on, or is it perhaps micro air bubbles in the paint rather than dust?