Glow plug adaptor

B

bartley

Hi group, I'm currently completing a Nieuport 11 which I've had on the go for about 15 years. It's built from just a plan with virtually no instructions so is proving an 'interesting' challenge!

I'd like to know the best way to fit some sort of adaptor to the glow plug so I don't have to remove, and replace, the cowl when starting the engine as I also play the guitar and would like to keep my fingers!

Thanks,

Steve.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi group, I'm currently completing a Nieuport 11 which I've had on the go for about 15 years. It's built from just a plan with virtually no instructions so is proving an 'interesting' challenge!I'd like to know the best way to fit some sort of adaptor to the glow plug so I don't have to remove, and replace, the cowl when starting the engine as I also play the guitar and would like to keep my fingers!

Thanks,

Steve.
***Hello Steve,what you need is a remote glo plug lead set from your model shop,this consists basically of a simple harness,one of the wires goes under the lug of your engine and the other goes to the top electrode of the glo plug itself,these in turn go to a jack plug or similar which in turn is fixed to the cowl side so all you do is connect a jack plug to the socket on start up from your 2 volt battery.

You could make something similar yourself but frankly it is not really worth the hassle,as the set includes a nice insulated plug cap,that fits neatly over the glowplug itself and easily removed for glo-plug replacement by pulling against a spring within the cap.

Whatever you do make sure that you at least have some access to the plug to change it should it ever blow,which it will one day,and usually when you want to fly !

Best of luck and dont forget to take some pictures to show us your model when completed.

B

Bluewavestudios

Indeed as Barry says, these are very cheap to buy or even make up and prove to be very useful in the long run.

Flair make these...have a look at the pic to get an idea of what you are looking at....It is much smaller than it actually looks

You don't necessarily have to make the bracket as a suitable place on the Fuselage will do to mount this...maybe underneath so not to spoil the looks.

This one will be fitted into my Bell 230 Shortly.

Regards........Mark.

View attachment 7520

/monthly_2005_03/glowlead.jpg.47cb472ff85e2e9208dddcc1fa37bc5d.jpg

View attachment 12815

glowlead.jpg

Last edited: