Graeme's Panzer IV, Simon's memorial build.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Posed like that to see if making it a wreck is feasible, or are you actually going to make it into a wreck? If the latter, I’d advise cutting the engine deck (with its sides) loose from the rest of the superstructure, and fitting it normally. The forward superstructure came loose from the engine deck relatively easily on Panzer IVs, I think — well, after the tank being hit and exploding, anyway :smiling3:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
A bit more done, adding hatches to the turret & some etch parts. I wanted to have the commanders hatch open, but Italeri moulded the hinges on the hatch halves, so a little bit of cutting with a sharp scalpel removed the hinge part & glued to the cupola. Open commanders hatch!
DSC02815 (1024x680).jpg
Jakko, it did cross my mind as it would make an impressive model, but there's no interior. That said a slightly less damaged vehicle abandoned & captured maybe? Plenty of inspiration in Panzerwrecks 22 ;Desert & your pictures have got me thinking.:thinking:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Coming on very well Graemae!

Waiting for the lads who published the StuG book ( my best book ) to finally release there two vol set on the Pz IV

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Thanks Bob, you're buying a book that isn't about Stugs? What ever next, you'll be building a British tank.......

Done a bit more, the turret is pretty much done, with a couple of etch bits to do.
Onto the hull, the mud guards needed a bit trimming off as the etch set has some, those & the upper assembled to the lower hull.
DSC02816 (1024x680).jpg
DSC02817 (1024x680).jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Bob, you're buying a book that isn't about Stugs? What ever next, you'll be building a British tank.......

Done a bit more, the turret is pretty much done, with a couple of etch bits to do.
Onto the hull, the mud guards needed a bit trimming off as the etch set has some, those & the upper assembled to the lower hull.
View attachment 404524
View attachment 404525
Cheeky, not all StuG's! There's Cardiff City, sausages, Alfa Romeo!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it did cross my mind as it would make an impressive model, but there's no interior. That said a slightly less damaged vehicle abandoned & captured maybe?
To be honest, I would advice against extensive damage, based on my experience building interiors etc. in recent years :smiling3: Something like a damaged mudguard or similar, though, is pretty easy and adds interest.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Jakko, I think you're right about the damage, something that illustrates the harsh environment & fighting in the desert.
Thanks Steve, plenty still to do.
The exhausts needed a bit of work, trimming off the moulded retaining straps for etch replacements & a monumental sink mark in the auxiliary engine silencer. Filler & sanding sticks out again!:rolling:
DSC02819 (1024x680).jpg
Etch bits added to hull include the spare track retainers on the glacis & some on the engine compartment sides, pictures show progress better.
DSC02847 (1024x680).jpg
DSC02820 (1024x680).jpg
DSC02848 (1024x680).jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko, I think you're right about the damage, something that illustrates the harsh environment & fighting in the desert.
So … shiny tracks and a hull floor with no paint left on it? :smiling3:

a monumental sink mark in the auxiliary engine silencer.
I don’t think I’ve seen an Italeri Panzer IV that didn’t have that. Must be a poorly designed mould or something.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
That sounds about it for the look, filling, filing & sanding seem to be par for the course with this kit Jakko!
Not much done, been busy with other things, hope to get a bit more done in the next few days.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Finally got around to doing a bit more, folding & fitting the mud guards front & rear, as well as adding some of the various small parts to the hull.
DSC02895 (1024x680).jpg
DSC02896 (1024x680).jpg
Had to fill the two small holes in the drivers front plate for the periscopes, as they were off to one side of the drivers visor, they should be central.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
looks Like this old girl is keeping you busy! Nice work with the etch bits, a definite improvement :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a full read through on this Graeme, You have made some great progress on this and I suspect you still have other tricks up your sleeve. Looking forward to what comes next. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great stuff Graeme,
Italeri can be a little challenging with all the little issues but you're handling well. I used to hate filling all these sink marks and Italeri had a habit of having hinges and small bits separate so cleaning them from the sprue wasn't my favourite part of the build. Now we do this willingly and replace with PE or resin. How things have changed.

Progress is looking good. Looking forward to seeing what else you're going to do with it. Good of Jakko to furnish references.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice build, esp with the mud guard additions Graeme.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Coming on very well Graeme
Waiting for the lads who published the StuG book ( my best book ) to finally release there two vol set on the Pz IV

Nice work on this old kit Graeme

More books due out on the Pz IV?

That great news for my 3rd favourite panzer, Bob.

Have fun with your labour of love Graeme, it is definitely coming together nicely

Regards

Steve H

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Graeme
Certainly not an easy kit to deal with but you're most definitely getting there.
Jim