Graeme's Tamiya Stug III Ausf G

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Here's my entry for the Stug GB, as the title says a Tamiya Stug III ausf G, with metal barrel, photo etch parts & schurtzen.
DSC00240 (1024x680).jpg
DSC00241 (1024x680).jpg
The idea is to build it as an abandoned one, like the one pictured below (photo for discussion purposes only), which was, I believe in Italy being looked over by a British or Commonwealth tanker.
e5c4656130bccdf6aad6872c68737c06.jpg

J

James Robert Noble

The hardest part done Graeme!
I'm in mate! Looking forward to this! :nerd:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Gramae. Built this many times and have another in the stash, lovely build although not accurate it sure looks like a StuG!!

Quick progress sir!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Graeme,
Looks like your well on the way :thumb2:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Bob, Si, thanks for the support, this one has been in the stash for a few years now (too many!) The aftermarket bits should help make it a little more accurate, I've found a set of turned brass & etch smoke dischargers which will look quite good. There's gaps under the superstructure sides, above the tracks that need blanking off with plastic sheet and probably a couple of other things that you guys can advise me of.
Happy New Year!:smiling2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Graeme - I have had one of these for years as well, in fact I see it in a pile of kits every morning when I wake up

Very nearly went with this but chose the IIIB in the end so haven't checked it against references

From your pictures above it doesn't look like the old motorised hull which is a good thing

Maybe Bob could provide a list of things which need fixing?

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning chaps and a happy New year to you all, Stug fans!!

Right the Tammy StuG

Its listed as a early one, wrong. The first G's were made in December 1942 on a F8 hull, these still had the drivers side vision port.
The kit shows a Stug made by Miag, they only started Stug production in Feb 43 and only built G's, so did not build the early types, you can tell a Miag StuG by the way the fire extinguishers head is pointing away from the engine deck a Alkett one points in, odd i know!

The gun compartment roof is totally wrong. it had three pilze for mounting a crane on the roof, Miag fitted these from May to October 1944
The roof has raised bolts heads, the real roof had countersunk screws

The rear wall above the exhausts has four rows of 3 bolts head ok for Alkett but Miag used them from Feb 43 so no good for a early one!

I have not gone into a lot of detail

I know that CMK make parts to remedy a lot of the problem but its a lovely kits to make to be fair!

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Si, the lower hull doesn't have any holes for the motor or batteries, always a plus!
Thanks for the heads up Bob, a few mods are on the cards.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Good to have you along Steve, progress may be a bit slow, I'm trying to get the Panther for the animal antics GB done at the same time.
A little progress, the bits round the rear hull have had a bit of work, the hull rear is on. The PE set has the exhaust guards & deflector, which were a bit fiddly, A bit of a trim for the side guards to fit round the exhaust pipes, supports for the deflector glued to them with CA & the deflector rolled to the curved shape, then CA'd in place.
DSC00392 (1024x680).jpg
A correct fighting compartment roof has been found, courtesy of a Dragon Stug III late having the necessary as a spare part. The hull upper & fighting compartment roof are only dry fitted, the gaps under the fighting compartment sides have still to be filled by plastic card.DSC00391 (1024x680).jpg
DSC00393 (1024x680).jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Did you have to graft the roof on, or did it just fit right in? I really can’t tell from the photos :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good so far.

ATB

Andrew

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Bob, Andrew, Jakko, Steve, thanks guys, the roof is only dry fitted for now, but it fits quite well, it may need a bit of thin styrene to shim it level with the fighting compartment walls. Watch this space to see how it goes.:thinking:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Back with a bit more progress, the upper & lower hull are together, with the infill pieces for the fighting compartment made & fitted. The infills took two attempts, they weren't wide enough first time! It's going together as you expect for a Tamiya kit, but I'm sure the add on bits will bite me on the behind after saying that.
DSC00395 (1024x680).jpg
DSC00396 (1024x680).jpg
DSC00397 (1024x680).jpg

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Thanks Steve, it's plodding along more like! Still got to finish the Panther......