Green or green?

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi guys am I correct in thinking that American stuff given to the Russians stayed us olive drab ,got a little build bubbling away might just restore some enthusiasm. Dave

• Love
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In the Second World War, you mean? Since the Soviets didn’t even bother removing or overpainting shipping stencils a lot of the time, it’s a safe bet American equipment in Red Army service was olive drab in colour, yes.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi David

According to memoirs of eyewitnesses, early US vehicles were supplied to Soviets with sand-green colours; some time later the vehicles were supplied with khaki or olive drab colours. The exception was - the International trucks and Bantam jeeps for Russia which were sometimes painted in dark green colour by US manufacturers. No camouflage scheme were painted - only one colour on vehicle overall (except tyres). But tanks sometimes were painted really OVERALL - together with tracks and resin bandages on wheels. As Jakko says, the majority went straight from the embarkation ports and straight onto the frontline as is.

From a modelling point of view there are plenty of exceptions to the rule so you can have what ever you want (In reason of course LOL). If a LL vehicle lasted a while then it could have been repainted in Russian colours. Also terrain would encourage the Russians to paint on a camouflage pattern. Then of course we have many examples of winter white wash paintwork

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In the Second World War, you mean? Since the Soviets didn’t even bother removing or overpainting shipping stencils a lot of the time, it’s a safe bet American equipment in Red Army service was olive drab in colour, yes.
Hi David

According to memoirs of eyewitnesses, early US vehicles were supplied to Soviets with sand-green colours; some time later the vehicles were supplied with khaki or olive drab colours. The exception was - the International trucks and Bantam jeeps for Russia which were sometimes painted in dark green colour by US manufacturers. No camouflage scheme were painted - only one colour on vehicle overall (except tyres). But tanks sometimes were painted really OVERALL - together with tracks and resin bandages on wheels. As Jakko says, the majority went straight from the embarkation ports and straight onto the frontline as is.

From a modelling point of view there are plenty of exceptions to the rule so you can have what ever you want (In reason of course LOL). If a LL vehicle lasted a while then it could have been repainted in Russian colours. Also terrain would encourage the Russians to paint on a camouflage pattern. Then of course we have many examples of winter white wash paintwork

Thanks chaps seems a bit if it fits wear it ill try and post up pic of the kit box art just so you can see where I'm leaning . Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just paint it a very burnt/charred green. That's my favourite colour of Russian tanks
Alan i know that comes with a nod and a wink i think most of us can agree ,but somewhat of a touchy subject ,I know the war in Ukraine has made a few on here change subject away from their usual intrest but for me as much as I find the war totally horrific a terrible crime against mankind this is just my view , me making a russian vehicle will have no outcome on what is happening ,one man has brought misery to his own people as well ,even more so now its not the fault of Mrs miscovitch packing kits in the zvesda factory struggling to feed her family , most of my stash are kits produced in the Ukraine 98% are Russian subjects (some of these companies are still releasing new models even now)as I said me making subjectsof my intrest have no impact on the outcome of this war so I will continue to build whatever flicks my switch.
As stated chaps this is only my thoughts and views as I re read above I hope not political this isn't the place for that only my view to modeling during this time.
I dont know still doesn't read like what I'm trying to say but we can all only hope for a end to all this peacefully ASAP. Dave