GWH P61A Black Widow - 1/48

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I’m not really into dios Chris. Besides it is already broken up and sitting at the bottom of a bin….
OH Barry if it was me id have just made the uncart stronger or turned it into a flyin one how many now have you binned ?
chrisb mtb

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Chris. I build a model for the enjoyment of the build and I am not bothered about keeping the kits for display. Or selling them.

Currently I have three 1/48’s on display and 9 1/32 kits.

I have regularly thinned out my completed kits on display, binning the older ones or those I am less pleased with.

I have completed 70-80 builds in all,
a dozen or so of these are in a museum. I keep the photos on my p.c. of all the completed builds.

So the answer is that I have binned around 50 completed models but I still have the photos. Sadly the P61 is the only completed build I don’t have photos of, and it’s that lack of photos that annoys. I could have propped it up while photographing but I am a bit of a perfectionist and do not want that among my photos.

On top of those, incidentally, I have had 9/10 models that I did not complete, a couple where I cocked up, a few where I lost interest due to poor fit or engineering, one where I dropped it onto a concrete floor, one where major parts were missing and I could not get spares leaving it unfinished. Again I don’t keep a shelf of doom as I don’t want clutter and know I won’t return to a stalled build so these get dumped.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris. I build a model for the enjoyment of the build and I am not bothered about keeping the kits for display. Or selling them.

Currently I have three 1/48’s on display and 9 1/32 kits.

I have regularly thinned out my completed kits on display, binning the older ones or those I am less pleased with.

I have completed 70-80 builds in all,
a dozen or so of these are in a museum. I keep the photos on my p.c. of all the completed builds.

So the answer is that I have binned around 50 completed models but I still have the photos. Sadly the P61 is the only completed build I don’t have photos of, and it’s that lack of photos that annoys. I could have propped it up while photographing but I am a bit of a perfectionist and do not want that among my photos.

On top of those, incidentally, I have had 9/10 models that I did not complete, a couple where I cocked up, a few where I lost interest due to poor fit or engineering, one where I dropped it onto a concrete floor, one where major parts were missing and I could not get spares leaving it unfinished. Again I don’t keep a shelf of doom as I don’t want clutter and know I won’t return to a stalled build so these get dumped.
WOW Barry many thanks for your exsplanation an yes i to build cos i enjoy it too like you but as i can use my model an due to their size they will get used for about 4 yrs or so then sold so no binning for me but when i was a whole lot younger used to shoot them planes or ships or up with an airgun or bangers so i suppose its a way of binnin them an yes i do now understand what you are sayin AN OK HAPPY BUILDING SIR
chrisb mtb

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Always a shame to see such excellent work being scrapped! I do see the points you make about keeping kits though. After all, unless you're going to spend a fortune on display cases, all they will do is gather dust on a shelf somewhere and end up looking awful.

What's next on your agenda - assuming you haven't been overtaken by the urge to start your Lanc?!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Barry. The internals look excellent. The shading, pin-washing etc all exemplary.

Looking forward to the progress
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Beautiful work Barry. The internals look excellent. The shading, pin-washing etc all exemplary.

Looking forward to the progress
Paul
HI Paul this model is now binned due to poor strucal strenght
chrisb mtb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Again Barry when you do start on the lanc will you be fiittin in all that A/M STUFF like the eletrics an motors an such ? as i think it will look fantastic
chrisb mtb

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks everyone

I am not starting the Lanc for a while yet, probably not for a year or so. I will decide on what aftermarket to use during the course of the year as I see what comes onto the market and looks worthwhile. I doubt that I will fit a lighting set though.

As for next…. I am not doing a full build but will show a completed thread. It is the Trumpeter 1/48 Vickers Wellington III.

I am going to post a couple of questions on this build though on a thread of its own. I could do with a little bit of input.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Barry
I’m really sorry to hear about the undercarriage issue. That is a crying shame. This really was a beautiful build, are you sure there’s no way to save it? I For one hope there is. Perhaps a little time away from this might rekindle the love for this terrific model.
All the best
P

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I don’t think that would be practical Andy. No, I have already broken it apart and binned it. Onwards and upwards….
Oh Barry, what a pain in the arse, sorry to hear this had to be binned. I think sometimes you can just about go as far as your patience takes you then move on, I did it with a old monogram panther. The decals were horrible and the plastic was so think and horrible, I just fell out of live with the kit, weren't enjoying it and sacked it off in the end

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HI BARRY what happening to your builds havnt seen you on here for a while
chrisb
If I recall correctly he posted a while ago to say he was only going to post completed builds..... And possibly only a selection at that....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI BARRY what happening to your builds havnt seen you on here for a while
chrisb
I mentioned that I will be posting only complete builds for a while. But, for any kits that are of particular interest I will post a full build. An example will be the Border Lanc that I will do as a full build. Right now I am concentrating on getting through this series of 1/48’s

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry well im missing seeing your builds on here an hope you relent an start showing your builds again as you are one of the main builders on here an the other day i kept thinking when on the forum there is something missing an to me it your builds Barry an you are a main stay on here
ATB to you sir
chrisb

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry well im missing seeing your builds on here an hope you relent an start showing your builds again as you are one of the main builders on here an the other day i kept thinking when on the forum there is something missing an to me it your builds Barry an you are a main stay on here
ATB to you sir
chrisb
By Christmas I should be starting the HKM 1/48 B17 and I will show that one.