GWP Ruins dio constructed from home materials during lockdown.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
In the midst of constructing My Kure Harbour and ships I saw Scotties bridge done with compressed foam and decided to use that material and some Italeri church buildings left over in my stash. There was a ready base and with that I modified the construction of the kit buildings and mated it with a carving of polysterene arch. I will let you in on the story if this progresses further than it is now...

This didn't take long surprisingly as the bricks were glued over the rough carved arch. It would normally take me ages just to putty and sculpt but the arch was done in a couple of hours. The rest of the Italeri buildings were stacked, glued and the backs filled with polyfilla and one side of the base was supported with a styrene block and coated with plaster...

G3.jpg

The bricks were coated with diluted plaster once the glue cured... the sides will also be bricked up, I only plastered to get rigidity to the frame.

G1.jpg

The back too was carved and bricked. The black is card that I usually stick onto cut offs...

G2.jpg

Finally all the components are stuck, engraved and ready for primer. Whatever is not terracota in color are add ons or fabricated...

G4.jpg

With the white primer it roughly looks like one building. I'll be adding a water feature from Italeri in the corner and perhaps a Firefly parked just under the arch.

G5.jpg

Hope this progresses further...I have a bad habit of jumping from one build to another. If you wanna know what this is going to turn out, stick around, there's no place to go anyway with the lockdown. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys, really appreciate the response. The Firefly is a kit that I will take out of mothball. It is one of two that I built up ready for such dios. Heres a glimpse of it.

It's an old Verlinden hull which needed some modes and a new barrel from brass and putty.

ff1.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Looking very good indeed on the ruins.

Well done.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Simon, Neil and Andrew, yup , back to the good old 1/35 scale...even so I still got a cracking headache after priming. Must have been the constant and non-stop hours at the bench. I just couldn't stop...fun when you're on a roll...and suffer later.:smiling2:

Here are some more snippets of the Firefly... I lost the main hatch covers so scratched some and added grab handles and levers plus head padding.

ff2.jpg

I used some of the Verlinden etch and made my own periscope guards from fuse wire. The extra stowage from plastic card is attached to the armoured bussle.

ff3.jpg

I don't remember why I took the rest of the pictures for...perhaps to show how I made the periscope guard base. I'm sure by now many would have done a better job.

ff4.jpg

Close up of the extra stowage can...very basic. I don't think it was armoured so will make some dinks and damage with my motor tool.

ff5.jpg

Another shot...perhaps I am suppose to add periscopes to the holders...now I remember I stopped when I had to cut some strips to make them and got distracted as usual.

ff6.jpg

I don't know how accurate the Verlinden hull and turret are. The turret seems like the older version that will need the extra aplique armor to the right side. With all this lockdown time I may re-visit the Afrika Korp Dio. Ta for now.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That's some lovely detail Richard! :thumb2:
Looking very good
Steven

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, putting your time into a fantastic building, merges perfectly with the plastic one on the right. That stone work is top notch both is size and texture .:thumb2::nerd:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some excellent progress. Love the wire work. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Muchos gracias Steven, John R and Ralph,
I photographed the Fireflys before I mothballed them so have got them mixed up. The set of photos are actually both the Fireflys I built in tandem, one is the Verlinden hull and turret on Tamiya bogies and the other a Dragon kit which I'm not sure if it's the corrected version. I only noticed the difference in plastic and resin so the first is Verlinden, the second , third and fourth are Dragon and the last Verlinden. Much apologise. :flushed:

The one that I'll be using is the resin Verlinden kit.
As for the building I'm quite chuffed that the merger worked. I will be hiding the not so nice parts with parasitic plants usually found creeping on old buildings.

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Paul just got my post crossed with yours...thanks. Collecting different gauges of wires proved useful.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I mentioned earlier that I will be adding a water feature at the corner of the ruin, so I rummaged my stash for this...

G6.jpg

Then I mustered up as many figure boxes that featured civilians regardless if they were eastern European, German or French that I could easily tweek them to be Normandy French...

G7.jpg

I will pick mostly the women and children...ok ok I'm slowly revealing the scenario that I'm doing. Basically it will be a line of civilians waiting to fill their vessels with the water from the feature helped by the crew from the Firefly. It's a sad state that the tank crews will witness at every bombed village or town liberated apart from the celebrations. I got the idea while lining up at the grocers for lockdown necassiities.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
That is a great idea for a scene, I look forward to watching it come together.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard, looks like you knicked some of JR's figures...it's ok he probably won't miss them till you post your completed dio.:thumb2:
Rick H.

• Sad
Reactions: JR