H.M.S. HOOD.... A 1/400 JSC Card Model

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ron an as Jim said its big but how big ? an beam ? as to me it looks about a metre long ? but you are doin a really nice job an you must have plenty of patience
as i would get the shakes doin that as the last card model i made was yrs ago an it turned out :poop: could not get to fold it on the lines needless to say model went in the bin but you have no fear of that beautifull work an i'll be followin this to completetion :thumb2: keep up the good work

chris

D

Deleted member 5496

A bizarre thought.

The Bismark actually sealed it's fate in sinking the Hood. The Hood was the pride of the RN

From the day that happened from Churchill (He had been First Sea Lord in WW1 & WW1) onwards every sea captain every Admiral at sea with those in the admiralty & every pilot of the Swordfishes had one goal. Absolute determination to get the Bismark & did they.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The issue with the loss of the Hood was that she had been built up in the public eye to be the poster girl Illustrating the might and invincibility of the RN. Her loss unavenged would therefore have impacted national morale.
Trouble was, in reality she was all fur coat and no knickers. The original design perpetrated the flaws inherent in British Battlecriuser design exposed at Jutland. Despite corrective work they were unable to be easily rectified. Earlier attempts had reduced her seaboard to the extent that the crew knew her as the Navy’s biggest submarine....she shipped water in all but the calmest seas. Great looking ship, but really out of her time by the battle of the Denmark Straight.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Chris - The pictures make it bigger than it actually is. She measures 660mm x 80mm.

Update pickies to follow soon.

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks boys.
Chris - The pictures make it bigger than it actually is. She measures 660mm x 80mm.

Update pickies to follow soon.

Ron
OK Ron many thanks for your reply an i look forward to the update pickies lovely
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the continued interest and a kindly reminder boys, but.....

Believe me chaps. when you build one of these things, that can only have been invented by the Devil himself, you need a break - a long break from a card kit!

From my past builds, I knew full well as my finger hovered over the 'Buy it Now', that I should have resisted. The HMS Hood is resting at the edge of my work area just daring me.....

I will return to the build, honest. But I need to build up the strength and willpower to tackle it first.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now then chaps, remember this?!

Chris. Anyone who has tackled one of these fiendish inventions knows to take a big, sometimes terminal break from making the the infernal things.

Progress thus far. Pick it up, do a bit, put it down.....

P1280509.JPG

P1280510.JPG

P1280511.JPG

P1280512.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 I missed this completely, so have read through from the start.
I did note that in your tool kit there was no mention or photo of the mallet, as an ex wood butcher I was concerned.
Like Chris I hope to see further instalments.

D

Deleted member 5496

Keep at it Ron. It was one of the most beautiful warships ever built. I suppose Victory comes first. Ha ha in many ways to wards completion.

The "Mighty" Hood took 2 years from laying down to launch. Are you on schedule Ron. ;)

Laurie