H.M.S Warspite.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Can anyone tell me anything about H.M.S Warspite ? the reason that I ask is because a member of my family served on her and I am considering making a model of this warship.

Anything would be of interest and in particular any pictures or drawings from which I could base my model.

Thank you in advance.

G

George

If you are thinking about building a model of HMS Warspite then the best thing you can do is get hold of the book Anatomy of the Ship. this is an excelent reference guide. There are also lots of other books both in and out of print which covers the subject

George

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for the info George,I will get hold of a copy of that book and study it.

U

Uncivil Serpent

Hi,

A set of Norman A Ough plans for the Warspite at 1/192 scale were available from David MacGregor Plans, 12 Upper Oldfield Park, Bath, BA2 3JZ. However, Mr Macgregor died last year but I think his family have carried on selling the range. If you can get or see a copy of the latest Marine Modelling, they may be advertising in there. Sorry, I don't receive that publication but maybe George can help.

There is also the following model hull available from Fleetscale :

H.M.S. Warspite 1/128th Queen Elizabeth Class WW2 Hull + Drawing L 60" W 10" £117.50 .

Try the following link and click on products to take you to the page

http://www.fleetscale.co.uk/system/index.html

Good luck

Chris

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thank you kindly Chris,I will check out that link.

G

George

Barry,

Reference the drawings Chris mentioned I have a set of them here by Norman A Ough. They are looking for a good home. I will be at Ellesmere Port on the Sunday if you can make it and I can bring them with me.

George

U

Uncivil Serpent

Thanks for that George.

Can you confirm that MacGregor's are still advertising in MM, or do you not get that mag either.

Chris

G

George

Mc Gregor Drawings

Chris,

There is no advert in the current MM but that does not mean a thing as companies do not advertise every issue. I have a feeling that Dave Sambrooke does them now.

George :velho:

U

Uncivil Serpent

Thanks George

Have you got Dave Sambrook's web address?

You could send it by private email if you wish.

Chris

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thank you George,I would be pleased to buy them from you and pay you any postal costs etc to get them to me,I have never built a warship before but this subject is special to me and will get built.

Thankyou,Barry.

G

George

HMS Warspite Drawings

Barry,

Can you be at Ellesmere Port on Sunday and I will bring the drawings down with me! Save on postage when I am comming down anyway :music_too

M

maninthestreet

H.M.S Warspite

Assuming you are referring to the Queen Elizabeth Class Battleship, there is a wealth of knowledge available about H.M.S Warspite, both on the internet and in printed form. Try searching for 'Warspite' on google, but one link is:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/warspite.htm

One of the best books available on H.M.S Warspite is 'The Battleship Warpsite', by Ross Watton, which includes a fold out scale plan of the ship. This available from www.navybooks.com.

There are also a numner of semi-kits available for H.M.S Warspite, from fleetscale, metcalf mouldings, etc.

Hope this helps.

MITS

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Noobie,that is the one,I am still keen to build a model of this warship with my family connections.

Obviously a wealth of material out there for building purposes.

G

George

HMS Warspite

Barry,

I will be comming down to Warwick for the model boat show in November. I will bring the drawings down with me.

I will be on the SWA stand, models on display HMS St Brides Bay. HMS Gray Goose and 1/72 Puffer Anzac,

See you there

:hoover:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Great George,look forward to meeting you at the Exhibition centre,do you happen to have the date handy for my diary ?

Barry.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Warspite-Another story

*** Kenneth,this is a really wonderful heartwarming story and thank you for letting me know about your dad,it is true that we had such wonderful machinery and other famous things in the past but the real stories lie with the people who operated and maintained them,sometimes placed in circumstances that they could not comprehend.

Placed in a similar situation to yourself one day I sat down and recorded my fathers wartime career in the R.A.F and glad that I did,history is too easily forgotton and it is up to people like us to never let this happen by recording events like this,I wish you well for the future and above all you can be rest assured that your father was playing his part in an important time in our history,and by knowing about it you are also part of that history !

Hi Barry,

My name is Kenneth Cree 62 yrs. and I live in Rossville, Indiana. I was surfing the web and came upon your site. I don't have much information on the Warspite, but I have a story to tell you.

My father Virgil A. Cree passed away Nov. 24, 2004 and I'm setting here crying (4:00 A.M) thinking of the stories he told me. My dad was a wounderful man and a the best dad a boy could ever hope for. He was almost 93 when he died.

My Mom and Dad lived in Bremerton, Washington during the war. Dad worked in the Bremerton, Navy Yard as a heavy rigger. He told me about the WARSPITE. He said it came in for repairs. He said it had guards all around the ship. One story he told was about the time he was down in the ship and had do walk across a certain area and was stopped by a British sailor on guard.

He said the Saylor said. You will not go any past this area of Her Majesties ship. I guess they got in a little argument and to make a long store short, since they were repairing the ship they did get to move around on the ship.

Dad said he met a sailor that was very lonely and home sick. He invited the boy to come home with him to have super. Mom and dad didn't have much, they live in a little trailer, and got by during the war. Dad said it was the hardest he ever worked in his life and the longest was 70 hrs. straight. He said they were working night and day to get the ships back on the water after Pearl Harbor. Anyway Dad took him home and Mom fixed beans and cornbread. Dad said he really loved the meal and was so grateful to just be around a home for a change. When he took him back as they said good by and Dad wished him luck, he gave dad a hat band to remember him by and it had WARSPITE on it. I remember seeing it from time to time. I recall it was black with lettering on it. When dad died I looked for it, but never could find it. He told me this story again about a month before he pass away. I thought you would like to listen to it.

At the time it was just another thing dad was remembering about when he was young and strong. Now that he was gone I wish I would have paid more attention, because he did tell me the boys name that he took home for supper.