H& S infinity problems help

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Hi guys I bought a infinity air brush about four months ago and got overspray all the time ( some of you may remember ).DSCN6933.JPGDSCN6934.JPG I put it down to getting used to it but am still having problems so I thought it must be the compressor as it is old and gauge don't work very well so I bought a A S 186 on a few recommendations ( and thanks for all the input on that is is great) but I am still having problems see photos . I have used different settings and paint thinning but cant get a clean spray, any help would be great.

the 15 ,21, 32 is p s i . and 50 50 is thinners to paint on 1st pic. 2 paint to 1 thinners on second pic.

bazers

First Name
Wouter
normally overspray has nothing to do with the compressor. In general it means that there's still some mess in your airbrush from previous sessions, probably in the nozzle which clogs the paint and makes that it sprays like that. Thinning it heavier might help as well. But I'd suggest you give the airbrush a thorough cleaning and preferable put it even in an ultrasonic cleaner (these aren't too expensive these days, mine cost 25€)

Cheers

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Barry, it might be a silly reply but have you ever checked for water inside the compressor-tank? (condensation)
If it's an old one and you never got the water out there might be coming to much additional water with your airflow.

Just a thought, it's probably not it...

edit: You would get the opposite of overspray I guess :thinking:

Goodluck
Steven

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Barry
Steven has made a good call there, worth checking if you haven’t....it’s worth draining moisture after every use, especially in the damp seasons such as autumn...

First Name
Wouter
I've had moisture in the past and for years now I use a moisture trap between the ab and the airhose. Works out well. But as Steven states, that doesn't cause overspray ^^

Cheers

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Wouter, might not cause overspray, but it could cause sputtering, which gives similar symptoms....

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Thanks for comments guys I never checked for water but would I get it in a brand new compressor? .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Barry
You’ll get it every time you compress, then decompress, air. The compression increases the concentration of moisture present and the release of air cools the compressed gas, causing condensation to form....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Barry.
I use the same AB.
If after trying Tim and Wouters suggestionsre the condensation, and still have problems (My AS186 had a moisture trap with it ) have you ever considered Vallejo improver ? I had problems with paint flow, thought it was caused as Wouter mentioned, it was , that small piece of hard paint stuck inside the tip ,even after a clean through.

To counteract that I bought a bottle of the flow improver. Added as suggested and with a little thinner as well I find it sprays well. This is supposed to reduce the occurance of paint drying on and in the tip.

I had excatly the same problems with spray, some times it was good some times poor , now mostly good ! Bought an ultrasonic cleaner , helps get into those tight spots, also use an Iwata lube , keeps the trigger and other moving parts smooth in use .
John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Barry,

You may have a crack or split at the tip of your nozzle. Air instead of flowing through the conical aperture over the needle traps paint in the crack and splatters the paint. This is more apparent at lower PSI's. You will need to unscrew the tip and replace it.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Barry,

You may have a crack or split at the tip of your nozzle. Air instead of flowing through the conical aperture over the needle traps paint in the crack and splatters the paint. This is more apparent at lower PSI's. You will need to unscrew the tip and replace it.

Cheers,
Richard
Good point Richard, I had a nozzle I'd damaged when trying to clean forgot all about that. (To shameful to admit :sad-face: )
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
From what you describe and your photos I would say you have either a damaged needle or nozzle.
Take out the needle, lay it on a flat surface and gently roll it from side to side. Watch the tip. You should be able to notice any irregularities. Check the point under magnification. Visually check the nozzle for any faults - a crack or a burr. Replace the needle, push it fully forward into the nozzle but don't tighten the lock. Turn the needle with your fingers while maintaining gentle pressure into the nozzle. It should feel absolutely smooth.
I am sure you have already tried all the above. It sounds as if the fault is small and so very hard to see. I don't know if you are a member of a club or attend model shows but it may be worth taking the airbrush to let someone else try it.
Jim

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Thanks for suggestions guys will wòrk my way through them .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for suggestions guys will wòrk my way through them .
Barry .
It would be good to read the out come, might be helpful to someone else.

Good luck .
John .

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Hi Barry
From what you describe and your photos I would say you have either a damaged needle or nozzle.
Take out the needle, lay it on a flat surface and gently roll it from side to side. Watch the tip. You should be able to notice any irregularities. Check the point under magnification. Visually check the nozzle for any faults - a crack or a burr. Replace the needle, push it fully forward into the nozzle but don't tighten the lock. Turn the needle with your fingers while maintaining gentle pressure into the nozzle. It should feel absolutely smooth.
I am sure you have already tried all the above. It sounds as if the fault is small and so very hard to see. I don't know if you are a member of a club or attend model shows but it may be worth taking the airbrush to let someone else try it.
Jim

Thanks Jim ,I have just stripped airbrush down and checked nozzle and it looks ok but will check your other ideas with needle eta, no clubs near me .
Just thinking back I was getting the same problems with my iawata neo that's why I bought the infinity,!!!.

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Thanks Jim ,I have just stripped airbrush down and checked nozzle and it looks ok but will check your other ideas with needle eta, no clubs near me .
Just thinking back I was getting the same problems with my iawata neo that's why I bought the infinity,!!!.

Hi again Jim have tried all your ideas everything looks and feels ok ,checked this morning when we had bright sun and large magnifier the only thing i spotted was a slight ring around needle were it would sit in nozzel but it is not a groove .

First Name
Wouter
Have you cleaned it completely yet (complete deconstruction of the ab) and tried spraying some thinner through it? I'm curious wether these helped or not. And maybe a question because I noticed you didn't mention it I think: which paints do you use through the ab?

Hope one of these work out because in general H&S ab's are among the best out there

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
If you have done the checks then the needle/nozzle are unlikely to be the problem. Sorry but I am right out of suggestions. It must be so very frustrating. I hope the problem is sorted soon.
Jim

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Have you cleaned it completely yet (complete deconstruction of the ab) and tried spraying some thinner through it? I'm curious wether these helped or not. And maybe a question because I noticed you didn't mention it I think: which paints do you use through the ab?

Hope one of these work out because in general H&S ab's are among the best out there

Cheers

Cheers
Hi Wouter sorry thought I unanswered your post, yes completely stripped it down and blasted some thinners through ,the paints I use are Tamia thinned at 50 50 also ,tried 2 paints to 1 thinners results as in photos but I did notice the higher pressure ie 32 p s i produced better results see photo's don't know if there's a clue there.

First Name
Wouter
mmm...that's strange, and Tamiya paints are normally quite forgiving. What thinner do you use? You probably already know but to be sure there are two good thinners in my honest opinion: Tamiya Lacquer Thinner and Mr. Levelling thinner. The latter gives superior results (I usually thin 60-40 or more). Tamiya Lacquer Thinner I use to clean the airbrush with these days. Do you have a second nozzle and needle (my H&S Evolution 2 in 1 came with two different sizes of needle and nozzle)? If so, try out the other set and see if you have the same result or not. You might have tried it already, I'm not sure but I'm trying to think of a solution. Hope it can help, because a 4 months old airbrush shouldn't give you overspray like this :/.

Cheers