H&S Ultra vs Evolution

K

karoliens

Hi,

I am planing to buy a new airbrush. Until now I was using Chinese which was included when I bought compressor.
Can not decide if I should buy Ultra or Evolution. I already know all the differences and assume that the brushing quality is the same. I actually think that plug type cup on Ultra is better than screw type cup on Evolution. On the other hand Evolution is easier to clean and has more needle size options?
It will be my second airbrush and I am a beginner. I will be spraying vallejo model air acrylics and enamels.
Should I buy Ultra or is it worth to take Evolution instead?

J

Jens Andrée

I bought an Ultra in the beginning of the summer and my only regret is that I didn't buy an Infinity instead.
Don't get me wrong, the Ultra is a very good "basic" airbrush, but it's a Volvo. It gets you from A to B, but via C can be troublesome...
The Evolution is a step up in quality for sure, but you only have to add a bit more and you've got the Infinity.

If you're doing a lot of painting with detail then buy the Evolution or the Infinity instead of the Ultra and then getting a new airbrush - again - in six months ;)

That's my opinion as an Ultra owner who's just about to buy an Infinity...

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I would say go and get yourself an Infinity or even better, an Iwata High Performance+, or the Iwata Hi Line HP CH

P

phikoleoputra

Hei Karolis,

I bought the Evolution Silverline 2 in 1 few years back, nice airbrush. But then My workhorse Olympos airbrush HP-100C Is still much better IMHO, then I bought their MP-200C and it’s an amazing piece of airbrush. Now I use the H&S mainly fo priming because you can change the nozzle to 0.4mm

J

Jens Andrée

I looked at Olympos when I was going to buy my first airbrush but since everything available is old stock (the company went bust quite some time ago and was bought up by a Japanese artist, who's now selling the old stock) and most of the airbrushes are without packaging. This in itself isn't a problem but you just don't know what you get, and then there's the spares issue. Some claim Iwata parts fit Olympos because Iwata bought the rights from them a long time ago, but I'm not convinced. A MP-200C (one hole) can now be picked up at £180 plus import duty at the cheapest. If you want extra nozzles etc you're looking at £300-ish.
I'm just worried that all these unsold airbrushes without packaging are returns or items that hasn't passed QA and now are sold off "cheaply".

I'm going to play safe and buy H&S but I do agree that the Olympos MP-200C looks like a really nice airbrush! Why they went bust I haven't got a clue.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Both are excellent airbrushes but if you can affod it go for the Evolution. As others have said it is a step up.

K

karoliens

I was choosing between Ultra and Evo and I doubt I could justify Infinity at the moment. Does it really worth pay extra for the Infinity over Evo? At the moment I am leaning toward the Evo 2 in 1 over Ultra Solo. It costs twice as much but i guess I am getting twice the features (two cups, two needles). If I am to compare Evo 2 in 1 vs Ultra 2 in 1 I suppose difference is not so noticeable. Need to check that. :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I went for the Evolution 2 in 1 as I didn't want to buy a mid-range AB and have to upgrade again later. So far, I'm not disappointed.

Pete

Edit: Sorry, I meant Infinity, not Evolution!

Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I asked the same question on here several months ago, and following the advice went for the Evo over the Ultra. I've never regretted the decision.

I did consider the Infinity, but to be honest I didn't feel I would need/use the extras that it offered over the Evo.

A

Awins

I have an Evolution CR plus 2in1 and simply cant fault it. It's a quality AB and very precise in use. Another benefit is that it is so easy to clean.
Dont think you will go far wrong with an Evolution.