H&S Ultra

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about upgrading from my ancient Devilbiss Sprite A/B and have been looking at the H&S Ultra.

I've read a number of pro and con threads on this a/b and wanted to ask people who have them what they thought of them after having them for a while. I would probably get the 2 in 1 kit.

The alternative would be the Evolution 2 in 1, but at £50 extra I'm not sure if it's worth it for the relatively small amount of use it will get.

Help! :smiling3:

First Name
colin
Hi Bob I can't comment on the ultra but I bought an evolution from john in November and I think its the best airbrush I've ever used. If you can justify the price you won't be disappointed

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
If people have problems with the Ultra it's usually the seals, they don't come with them, I have spares that I give to customers if they have problems and that generally fixes any issues, all in all it's a good airbrush.

F

Fenlander

I totally agree with Colin. I got the Evolution 2 in 1 and it is superb. I have long been a champion of the budget airbrush and I still believe that if cannot afford a top end brush then go with what you can afford as you will still achieve good results and learn how to use one. I only bought the Evolution because I was in a situation where I could splash out on it.

Getting a higher end brush will not make you a better airbrusher (?) but it will give you ease of cleaning, consistency in how it works and tighter quality control which all adds up to giving you the chance to take your skill forward.

On tip I would say that if you get a H&S, whichever model, get yourself the cleaning and maintenance tool set. The reamer is designed to work with their nozzles and the special screwdriver makes changing the seals deep inside a lot, lot easier.

I had issues with the H&S budget brush, the Ultra, I still say it was the worst brush I have owned although I know people have used it to good effect and it was well reviewed in many sources but the Evolution has been an absolute dream to work with. Having the two needle sets, .2 and .4 and the two sizes of paint cup really add to the deal. The Ultra has a push in cup which dislodges easier than it should. The Evolution and above have screw in cups with proper seals.

I have never once regretted the Evolution and cleaning is so simple, it has become a pleasure rather than a chore.

D

dubster72

I have both the Ultra & the Infinity CR Plus. Both are excellent airbrushes. I also have & have been a long-term champion of budget airbrushes.

The Ultra 2 in 1 is a great upgrade from the cheap Chinese ABs. I would list the advantages as follows:

Overall engineering is excellent, you can feel the quality. Parts fit together in a way that cheap ABs just can't match.

The trigger is very good. Whilst any airbrush won't necessarily make you any better, you'll get much more control & therefore confidence in its use.

Cleaning is so much easier with an H&S. No mini spanners to fiddle with or worries about over-tightening the nozzle. Everything is really easy to access with no awkward nooks or crannies.

HTH

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the advice guys. Looking at the Evolution, the silverline model is about a fiver more. Is it worth it?

First Name
colin
That's the airbrush I use Bob its excellent As Patrick said easy to clean solvent resistant seals and you can set the distance the needle opens for paint control

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've just realised there's no Council Tax payment due next month,so things are looking good for an Evolution. :smiling3:

I'm not sure if I will need a new airline as I'm not sure what thread the line for my Sprite is. Something I read suggests that Devilbiss didn't use a standard 1/8 thread??

D

dubster72

I'd be surprised if any airbrush uses anything other than a 1/8 thread. That's been the standard since the 1920s I believe. But adapters are easy enough to find.

The Silverline has a paint control doodah... whatever that is! It's probably worth having for only £5 more, but I hardly ever use the fancy features on my Infinity.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks again for all the advice guys. It's pay day tomorrow and my minds made up. :D

Last edited:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks again for all the advice guys. It's pay day tomorrow and my minds made up. :D
Yep I have a evolution silver line, seems like you can't go wrong with a h&s to be fair.
One thing I would say is one of the guys on here pointed back to a Iwata hp-ch and let me tell you if you can stretch to one of those you will not be disappointed. Now owning both myself I can say that the iwata is on another level.

D

dubster72

Yep I have a evolution silver line, seems like you can't go wrong with a h&s to be fair.
One thing I would say is one of the guys on here pointed back to a Iwata hp-ch and let me tell you if you can stretch to one of those you will not be disappointed. Now owning both myself I can say that the iwata is on another level.

£70+ difference between the Iwata & an H&S Silverline 2 in 1 though Phil!

A

Awins

I also have a H&S Evolution 2in1. For me I cant find fault with it. It really is superb quality. As for cleaning, its very easy.
My AB before this was a Badger 105 which I now only use for primer and laquer.
Cheers Alan

S

steve5

just got my H&S evolution silver line , absolutely superb , fantastic airbrush , I'm like alan had an iawata neo , nice brush , but it only gets used for priming , dull coats

J

John Rixon

Just a word of warning, the Ultra is no De Vilbis. I'm sure the more expensive ones are great, but the Ultra is very much built to a price. It's ok, but no cigar. I have stopped using mine in favour of a single action one from John.
image.jpeg
I wrote a fairly comprehensive piece on it in "airbrushing" section. I've not looked back since getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I too would recommend the Evo. I actually have three airbrushes, an Evolution that I use with a 0.2 needle for detail using water based acrylics, an Evolution Silverline CRPlus with a 0.4 needle that I use for metalisers and other solvent based paint and an Infinity CRPlus with a 0.4 needle which is my workhorse that I do 80% plus of my painting with using acrylics.

I did not set out to buy three airbrushes, I just got them gradually over time starting with an Evo 2 in 1. I then decided to get a Silverline because the seals are more resistent to solvents and then, on a spur of a moment, treated myself to an Infinity. The set-up works for me but a single 2 in 1 would be enough for most people.

My next purchase; well I have been thinking of getting a 0.6 needle set for spraying larger areas on my 1/32 models. Who knows... maybe that will lead to a fourth airbrush..... The great thing about H&S is how the different needle sets and fittings are interchangeable.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well I pulled the trigger and went ahead and ordered the 2 in 1 Sivlerline. I couldn't justify spending any more. :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry guys, another question has occurred to me. I usually use meths, white spirit or Tamiya thinners to clean (depending on what paint I am spraying). Are these all OK to use or should I be looking for a "proper" airbrush cleaner?

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have two Iwata Hi Line HP CHs partly because Harder and Steenbeck is super pricey down here in AU, but I can assure you that the Iwata Hi Line HP CH is a really worth it tool. Control is unparalleled unless you compare it to the Iwata Custom Micron series. Many consider it better than the Infinity by H and S. It is used by famed pro Modellers such as Brett green. While certainly not cheap it offers amazing performance.
Cheers, John