H&S Ultra

D

dubster72

Sorry guys, another question has occurred to me. I usually use meths, white spirit or Tamiya thinners to clean (depending on what paint I am spraying). Are these all OK to use or should I be looking for a "proper" airbrush cleaner?

Well Bob, as in how your simple question about one particular airbrush has morphed into a host of suggestions, no doubt this one will do the same! ;)

IMHO the simple answer is, enamels can be cleaned effectively with white spirit. I occasionally use half a cup of cellulose thinners to deep clean my AB.

For acrylics, there are many options; proprietary cleaners, screenwash, Mr Muscle window cleaner, IPA... the list goes on!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most people blame their airbrush for spraying problems, when really it's the paint that's causing the problem.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Patrick, I'm mostly spraying Tamiya acrylics and currently using their thinners to clean but I am looking for a cheaper option. Might try the screenwash or window cleaner. :smiling3:

First Name
colin
Bob I use 30% Mr muscle multi surface glass cleaner mixed with 70% homemade distilled water it cleans the acrylic paints out no problem then I flush it with distilled water.

HTH

A

Awins

Sorry guys, another question has occurred to me. I usually use meths, white spirit or Tamiya thinners to clean (depending on what paint I am spraying). Are these all OK to use or should I be looking for a "proper" airbrush cleaner?
Im not sure about the H&S Silverline but my Evolution has PTFE seals so will withstand most solvents a model maker is likely to use.
Check the specification for the type of seals. It will more than likely be ok as its the cheaper end ABs that use rubber type seals which some solvents will attack .

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks gents, I will try Colin's Mr Muscle homebew and see how I get on. :D

A

Aurora

Hi Bob,

as Patrick mentioned your simple question turn into suggestion wall as a iwata hp-cp user i can suggest iwata :smiling3: :smiling3: upgrading from a replica to H&S Ultra will be huge step. differance will be like day&night. if your budget is tight and you can afford ultra from highend league than it is ok. btw, all of the replicas are copy of iwata airbrushes.

if you will buy ultra "single" you will get 2ml cup, it might be small if you paint 1/48 armor and 1/72 aircraft (and bigger scales) 2ml cup might be small. just consider buying 5ml cup additionally. or directly buy 2in1 edition, you will get 5 ml cup + 0.4mm nozzle/needle/cap set additionally.

cheers!
Safak

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Safak,

Thanks for your post mate, I've actually gone ahead and ordered the H&S Evolution 2 in 1. Hopefully it should arrive tomorrow. :smiling3:

B

F

Fenlander

I flush through with undiluted blue screen wash, don't use the 'flavoured' ones as they appear to contain some sort of citrus oil which I found to affect paints.

Once flushed through, I remove the back handle, sclacken off the needle nut and just back the needle out 1/4 inch. I then remove the nozzle holder at the front and then push the needle forward and extract it from the front. This prevents paint being drawn back into the rear of the brush.

The needle is then cleaned and put to one side. I get some kitchen towel and twist one corner to form a thin spike of paper which I insert into the back of the nozzle to clean it.

The nozzle and holder re fitted to the front and the needle re inserted from the back and tightened up. I then flush through again with screen cleaner. Repeat the above if you are not happy you have all the paint out but it usually works ok.

Lastly I add some thinners, normally Tamiya, just a little, to flush through again. If I know I am going to use a specific paint next I will use the thinners appropriate to the paint I am going to use next in that last step.

If I have used lacquer or enamel paint I do the whole flushing process with cellulose thinners, be sure to be well vented if doing this. I will also use the cellulose thinners if I have had issues cleaning acrylic paint.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, when you can, invest in the H&S cleaning kit. The reamer alone is worth the price especially if you get gummed up with varnish or such.

Took me longer to type that than it does to thoroughly clean my airbrush.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for that Graham, I actually ordered the H&S cleaning kit with the A/B based on your earlier advice. ;)

Strangely, I was only in Halfords a week or so ago to buy screenwash, but all they seem to sell now is flavoured stuff?? Any idea where to get the blue kind?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks for that Graham, I actually ordered the H&S cleaning kit with the A/B based on your earlier advice. ;)

Strangely, I was only in Halfords a week or so ago to buy screenwash, but all they seem to sell now is flavoured stuff?? Any idea where to get the blue kind?
I use international scale modeller airbrush cleaner, ok it isn't the cheapest but it works well with my tamiya and Mr hobby paints. When cleaning vallejo model air I use vallejo airbrush cleaner diluted 50/50 with deionised water that way I get twice as much for my money and they do last me ages.
I have found some screenwash by carplan (think it was from wilkinsons) for about £3.50 for a decent amount, it smells just like the international scale modeller stuff so may be worth a try. Hope this helps.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for that. There's a Wilko's near my work so I will pop in and have a look.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Patrick, not sure where my nearest Morrisons is but I will ask the missus.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
As you said it depends on what you are spraying with.
I use a mix of 50% window cleaner with 50% water for cleaning water based acylics but then always finish off with a cup of either Vallejo or Ultimate cleaner.
For solvent based paint I use Mr ColourThinner, followed by i.p.a. I have some of the powerful Mr Tool Cleaner as well.
Some cleaners, I think the Tamiya is one, can react with some water based paints to create a thick blob of paint.

F

Fenlander

Yep, supermarkets are the way to go now. Make sure you get concentrate though and use it neat. Also, in a previous discussion on this, someone mentioned Pound Shop bike cleaning fluid, cheap version of the very expensive 'Muck Off'.

Sorry whoever told me but my memory is going...... I did know where it was going but I have forgotten........ what are we talking about?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well it's arrived, but unfortunately the wrong hose was sent. :sad:

I've emailed John and I'm confident we can get it sorted out quickly.

Edited to add: John has already emailed me and is sending me the correct hose. This is my first shopping experience with ScaleModelShop and I have to say it definitely wont be my last. :smiling3:

John's customer service is awesome. :smiling3:

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Well it's arrived, but unfortunately the wrong hose was sent. :sad:

I've emailed John and I'm confident we can get it sorted out quickly.

Edited to add: John has already emailed me and is sending me the correct hose. This is my first shopping experience with ScaleModelShop and I have to say it definitely wont be my last. :smiling3:

John's customer service is awesome. :smiling3:

John takes customer service very seriously Bob, he won't let you down.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Its already gone out today, it's not the first time I've sent the wrong hose out, I should change the picture on my system to the correct colour

F

Fenlander

Its already gone out today, it's not the first time I've sent the wrong hose out, I should change the picture on my system to the correct colour

Yet you told me off for ordering the wrong one lol :D