Hachette/Thunder Tiger 1:10 RC Nitro Monster Truck

C

Charles H

Hi everyone - As directed by Ian M, I'm now posting this here, in the correct forum. After a ridiculous delay of something like 8 years{!), I've resumed my construction of the above RC model, and I'm hoping some of the folks who helped me out all those years ago about this model, which was issued in 87 installments in 2006 or so, are still here. I've already found Chris (Adzam) and Steve (Dynamite25) on the list of members - both of you were incredibly helpful, way back then, thanks!.

Anyway, I'm retired now (so have spare time) and incredibly belatedly have dusted off my truck, which is still only assembled up to issue 67. I've pulled a lot of it apart again, cleaned it, etc, and am ready to try to fix the problems I know it has. I have all 87 issues (68-87 are still sealed in their bags). I of course know issues 71-87 were "re-issues" and have not even considered them yet!

First question is - one of the many black plastic turnbuckle ends is cracked. I don't know if I can glue it effectively. Are the turnbuckle ends parts that are unique to this model, or would replacements be available in general, at model shops? If they are unique to this Thunder Tiger model, where could I buy them, and/or other parts, when I need them in future?

How are people's trucks going? Do you still use them, and have there been any major issues? I'm in Adelaide, South Australia. Anyone else from nearby on this forum? As suggested by Ian M, I'll post photos soon, of issues I have, and explain more. However, I simply cannot explain why I've let the model gather dust, unfinished, for so long!

Thanks very much!

Charles

C

Charles H

Must add - I've never fired the engine up, but when I pull the cord it seems to have excellent compression. In a nutshell, the problems I know it has are:

1) Suspension is soggy, I was told, by a local shop which no longer trades.

2) The accelerator/brake actuator needs adjustments, but I'll have to wait until I've rebuilt to that stage, to remember the precise problems!

3) Front wheels were poorly aligned, and probably problems with insufficient precision on my part elsewhere, too. I've now got digital vernier calipers, so I don't have to rely on a simple ruler any more.

4) I recall clutch problems, but again, have to re-investigate this.

Cheers,

Charles

C

Charles H

I've rebuilt my truck and taken it to a large local RC hobby shop. They examined it and said all now seems OK, EXCEPT the rear differential is "tight" and I have to troubleshoot it. It is "notchy" and "clacky" and the wheel movement is not as smooth as the front differential. Rear wheels don't smoothly contra-rotate when I turn one of them manually, and if I turn either front wheel alone, the rear wheels scarcely move. They said I would probably not even be able to start the engine, presumably because all the resistance would make it seem like the clutch was applied (I suppose like starting a manual real car without pressing the clutch pedal down)?

Please, when I pull the rear differential apart, is there anything I should maybe looking for, ie anything obvious? I'm not looking forward to this - it is my very first RC model. I belatedly realise I should have probably bought my first RC vehicle "out of the box"/ready to go, and probably electric rather than nitro, for ease of use. However, all those years ago, I got seduced by the display at the local newsagent!

Any advice much appreciated, but I can't really post meaningful photos, since it's of course all internal, until I pull it apart. BTW, the diffs are packed with molybdenum grease, which I was told at the time is excellent for this purpose. They have not been touched since I originally built them, back in 2006. The engine has never been started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I could be something as simple as to much grease. Or there is something rattling around in the case.Good luck

C

Charles H

Ian, thank you - I recall I packed the diffs TOTALLY full to the absolute brim with molybdenum grease. I applied it from a syringe with a miniature nozzle attached, so like it was a mini caulking-gun. Do you know how much you're supposed to apply - I suppose as % "free" space in the diff(?) Currently, it would be nearly 100%! Even if embarrassing, I'd be stoked if this was my only newbie construction mistake here.

Last edited by a moderator: