Hairspray Technique / Chipping Advice Please

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am having a total mare trying to do this dark arts thing called hairspray chipping. I've applied the base colour. Sealed with varnish. Applied hairspray and then painted over with upper colour.
When i try to 'chip' the paint, 99% of the time it rubs all the way through t the plastic below. I'm not even rubbing hard. I'm using a soft brush.

My question is why is it doing this Could it be because i am using a can of Asda Smart Price hairspray? Does it have to be a particular brand? All other advice greatly welcomed too.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Al,
The only thing I do differently is I don't seal the base colour I just let it dry thoroughly then cover with hair spray leave to dry for a while then spray the top colour. Then just use a fine brush and a needle dipped in water and gently working on an area. take your time and don't press to hard let the water help lift the paint you can also use the needle to leave little scratches

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Base colour was left 24 hours. Hairspray left 1 hour minimum.Upper paint left 24 hours too. Wasn't pressing hard. Infact any lighter and the brush wouldn't be touching it.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Base colour was left 24 hours. Hairspray left 1 hour minimum.Upper paint left 24 hours too. Wasn't pressing hard. Infact any lighter and the brush wouldn't be touching it.
Then I'm not sure mate. Hopefully one of the other guys will have an insight. Once you get it you will love the technique.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
What was the paint and varnish?
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Paint was Tamiya and varnish (first time) Hannants satin, (second try) Vallejo flat. Upper paint Tamiya

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've not had much luck with hairspray chipping either, but I would have left the base coat for a few days, then if you add a varnish coat another few days, so it's really hard, before the hairspray.
Pete

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
I have tried using hairspray a few times and had no success. I found the process difficult to control and the results were inconsistent and unpredictable. Either paint came off in great chunks or seemed welded on :confused:
The AK Chipping Fluids or the Mig Chipping stuff works far better in my opinion. Same principle but so much more successful.
Having said that some people do get brilliant results with hairspray and it's a lot cheaper.
Jim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i tried the hair spray technique a few times years ago and it used to work quite well.....but its been so long i cant remember how i used to do it!

an alternative is to use the latex method

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Al,
Ive had some good success with Hs chipping In the past on this build.....
1B83FB60-3D16-4CA8-87D2-EF9629181169.jpeg

From memory I used Tamiya as a base, no varnish coat just a couple of thin coats of Hairspray , let it dry...then I used Vallejo diluted with water over the top. Let it dry for an hour or so, then wetted it down with water, an attacked with a firm brush.
I only chipped the exhaust....
4451A8AD-45CD-4360-ACB7-CBA942DA231D.jpeg

Sorry really dark picture:tired:...but if you zoom in a bit you can see the effect?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres my method Al.
Primer , base coat of silver (any old silver , sometimes just a blast over with an aerosol) , Elnette hairspray then leave for 24 hours , then top coat , leave for another good while. I then use an old paintbrush (about no2 size or similar) with the bristles cut off to about 2 or 3 mm . Wet an area you want to chip then just gently work it till it starts to come off , as soon as you see the silver stop and dry the area, carry on as necessary. Perhaps the problems youre having are due to the hairspray softening the base coat and primer , its quite strong stuff, I know it can dissolve paint if its too heavily applied.The 24 hour wait gives it chance to harden up again before the chipping begins.
as well as the brush i sometimes use a very well worn piece of 1200 wet and dry ,but used dry as it will be even finer than wet, hope this helps ,cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Al , tried and didn't like , as Jim I now use AK,a dream to use, no fuss.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Really mad it hasn't worked as i really wanted a worn look on my StuG. Might give it one more go. I'm reluctant to g down the expensive AK route. I do have some Vallejo & Humbrol masking fluids. Might try that next.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Are you soaking the top coat with water. Also are the paint Matt?
When I do this I let the bottom coat dry 110% then I decant some hair spray and paint it on. (Yes with a hairy stick. Never an air brush). Leave to dry. Paint top coat let dry through. Wet it well with water this softens the paint and weakens the bond of the hairspray, and have at it. I found cocktail sticks are pretty good at 'scratching' and an old toothbrush quite good for worn off areas.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hi Ian

Yes i'm applying water. Although i'm not waiting any time for it to soak in. Should i? Not sure how much hairspray to put on. I suppose the bits have had quite a bit of hairspray placed on them.

D

Deleted member 7181

Just a thought Alan, but if you aren't getting along with hairspray there are other chipping techniques that can give you that beat up look you are after. Basically applying the chips after painting with a sponge or small brush. Plenty of videos out there on the technique but Night Shift has a good one, and Andy's Hobby HQ released one just today I think.

Personally I might go back to doing it that way in most situations as I find HS a bit too hit & miss for my liking.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andy i'm going to give it one last go but this time using Klear as a varnish to seal the paint in. If it doesn't work then i'm going back to painting the rust or trying Maskol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian

Yes i'm applying water. Although i'm not waiting any time for it to soak in. Should i? Not sure how much hairspray to put on. I suppose the bits have had quite a bit of hairspray placed on them.
You do have to give the water time to get through the paint and you might need to apply it a couple of times. This softens the paint and weakens the grip of the hair spray.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've sort of got it working on the side armour but yet again it went south when it came to doing the exhaust. So in the future i'm either going to paint of the rust or maskol it. Fed up of trying this technique and it not working properly. I would buy AK stuff but the price is stupid (as with most things AK) and i have Vallejo and Humbrol masking fluids sitting in my draw waiting to be used.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The last time i did any 'hairspray' chipping I followed this sequence, (using Tamiya acrylic Paints)

Apply base colour, seal with future, (24 hour to dry), then apply a coat of cheap hairspray, leave it for an hour or so, then apply the top coat, leave this for around ten mins...just enough time for it to 'flash off'.. and then proceed to start chipping using warm water ..(to reactivate the hairspray)..using a soft brush and cocktail sticks.

hope this helps.

This Is the front section of my Bandai Slave 1

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpg
    IMG_2955.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 17