Halftrack to Halftrack

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
Your eye for detail is incredible and having the skills to make it a reality is something else.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
So to carry on... Today went well after playing nurse to her who must... who at the moment is bedridden with a chest infection, :sick:, had the dogs out on a good walk:thumb2:. Then got down to the serious stuff and finished of the gas bottle rack. I am undecided at the moment about putting the bottles on the rack or leaving it empty, or even just one bottle. The clamp will then be added, and then I will move onto the finishing details like doors etc.
gas bottle bracket fin.jpg
Now off to raid the fridge, I seem to remember she left some goodies in there - cannot let good food go to waste. :tongue-out3: Thanks for looking, more later.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
Your eye for detail is incredible and having the skills to make it a reality is something else.
Hi Scottie,
I was thinking about the same earlier today. I can remember making models way back and to touch brass, aluminium etc was in a way frowned upon, wood was used for a base everything else was either scratch built or did not happen. And as I say thinking about it today and now that I am retired and the practice of using brass today is accepted in all forms is a bit like a kid with the key to the candy shop. Making it a reality I can thank my short time working in the petro-chemical industry and BAe as a mock up modelmaker where you were given a brief. a set of drawings, went to work and then ironed out the problems as you went along. But I lay no claims to being an expert, my rubbish bin over the years has been full of failures...
But thanks for boosting my ego - now how do i widen this door....
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That rack is a thing of beauty. I wish I could be as accurate as you Mike. More practice on my part I suppose.:sad-face:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
That rack is a thing of beauty. I wish I could be as accurate as you Mike. More practice on my part I suppose.:sad-face:
Cheers Steve, you are not as bad as you think.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
I looked at the side racks on the photo, then I looked at the side rack that came with the kit. And out came the brass sheet and some short lengths of 2mm brass strip were cut, put in the Etch Mate bendy thingy, and I could not get it to grip for some reason. And as I am sitting here typing this, the light went on between my ears, I have a tool that i use for benting grab handles, and it has a straight edge that has been used before for bending short lengths of brass - too late!
This is what I came up with...
side rack.jpg
I rigged up a 90 degree section from two short steel rules on my glass work table and then set too with two lengths of 'L' shaped strip, to this were added five cross pieces to make up the bottom frame. Once dry this was then set up on one of its edges/sides and the outer frame was then built laying flat on the glass so that I could hold it in place as the glue dried. Next it was the top cross pieces which were cememted to the frame while it was still flat, and finally the two diagonal braces were added. You will notice that I have added three sets of 'hooks' and one bracket. The 'hooks' are used for stowing the cable that supports the jib, and the bracket is where the vehicle end of the cable is attached, there is still a fastening strap to be added and this will be from brass and papers to represent a web belt used for holding the cable in place.
And now for the rack on the other side.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
man you make this look easy.
Scottie, Built over a day and a half due to minute amounts of cement being used that had to be left to harden, an egg is less fragile..
Mike.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
stunning work , Mike!
May I suggest ONE oxygen bottle in the rack, to portray the purpose but to show off the workmanship?
it would be a shame to cover it all up!

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
stunning work , Mike!
May I suggest ONE oxygen bottle in the rack, to portray the purpose but to show off the workmanship?
it would be a shame to cover it all up!
Hello Neil,
I think you are right, so it will be one bottle.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Both racks are now on the vehicle and as these vehicles were not constructed to any set rules except for the general shape I have slightly altered the framework by slightly altering the angled brace. I forgot to add a couple of pics of the during construction part, so here they are. They are sitting on my glass construction base, which has anti-slip material between the 5mm glass and the one inch ply base.
siderackbuild.jpg
The pics are actually in colour...
Cheers,
Mike.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Mike just caught up with the build again, fantastic scratch building work, stuning work on the gas bottle rack :thumb2:, love the glass construction base it the same as having a engineers surfface plate.

Pete.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike just caught up with the build again, fantastic scratch building work, stuning work on the gas bottle rack :thumb2:, love the glass construction base it the same as having a engineers surfface plate.

Pete.
Hi Pete,
Many thanks, and that was the idea with the glass. I rescued it from the council tip where it was about to be smashed by the resident council worker. It came from a tv cabinet, you can get glue stuck to it, paint on it and just a quick scrape and it is back to normal.
Cheers
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
The gas bottle rack is now complete, gas bottles in primer ready for when I get the airbrush out and have a session.
I also added a new towing pintle using the kit offering as the basis. And then it was onto the towing 'A' frame which went together quite quickly, along with the mounting bracket(s).
Aframe.jpg
And the towing pintle...
Aframebkt.jpg
You will notice I have also added safety chains to the gas bottle framework, these are loose and will be hooked up later after painting. Also in the pic is the towing pintle.
Aframeloc.jpg
And with the 'A' frame held in place to demonstrate it's position.
So as I was in an adventurous mood I decided it was time to have a preview of what the finished item is begining to look like. There are still a few items to add, but thankfull not as involved as it has been. Please enjoy.
testfit1.jpg
testfit2.jpg
testfit3.jpg
testfit4.jpg
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
I am the same as you have a normal cutting mat for general construction but have a large glass sheet for detail work and as you say easy to scrape clean.
Scottie,
Great idea, I have a large black sheet, but a certain madam decided I could build a coffee table around it :disappointed:.
Mike.