Halftrack to Halftrack

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
One thing that sets out the older soldiers was the amount of ex WW2 items of equipment that were still kicking around or in some cases you were issued during the mid 60's and before which today are museum exhibits. One such item that I remember having a touching relationship with, was our old LAD vehicle with us in Germany. I say touching, because had I not when on guard duty one night decided to play around with the drivers window hatch end up with severe bruising of my hand when the hatch dropped open. I also learned a valuable lesson - if you do not know what it is - then leave it alone!!!
So for Discusion purposes only the image below will show you where I am going with my next build.....LADintro.jpg

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
After finally finding all of the bits and parts I would need from the box, (there must be about three kits in there) a start was made on the chassis....chassis1.jpg

And after some deliberation I replaced the power drive shaft for the winch with a length of ally tube, and wrapped the winch with a length of wire for the start on the winch cable. After which it was a coat of primer as seen here and then a top coat.

chassis2.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mick.
Ah remember these, but never saw one in action.
Pulling up seat, but away from that window! :smiling:
John

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
The engine had the usual Eduard attachments added, but I did replace all of the fan blades instead of just adding them to the kit version, plus adding the spark plug wires and thin ally tube to represnt the tops of the plugs.

engine1.jpg
And the fan blades... which the new blades are resting on....

fanblades.jpg

The engine was then put aside to wait for paint.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi John,
We had one of these when we were based in Munster. You need a blind for that window....
Mike

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mike.
Nice work on the fan and engine, I take it you must have been with tanks then ?
John.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Attention has now turned to the 'cab' area. New flooring was added via Eduard along with foot pedals and handbrake. On the firewall I added the fuse boxes and some wiring (solder) and again set it aside for paint and weathering.

cabfloor1.jpg

firewall1.jpgcabfloor2.jpg
Now onto the work area....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
Started off in 2 CG for five years. Here I fitted the SCAT (Should not Cost A Tenner) 120mm Wombat mounts into the 432's among other things. Then got tired of walking and running and went over to 17/21st atfer a struggle with senior regiment bull...t. And spent the rest of my time there with late Chieftains.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
After as I said earlier sorting out the parts I would need for the start of this build, I think there are about three sets of sides, two or three interiors, blah, blah. So you take your pick, and I still end up with half a box of spares.
The interior of these vehicles was not to any common plan, so it was built for purpose, and if memory serves me correctly I did see one set up as an ambulance....
So on with the build - the interior fuel tanks were fitted, a work bench, set of old office drawers (metal, storage, use off), pair of tool box floor trays welded to floor to stop tool boxes moving and a pair of old apple boxes used to store chains and straps.

work area 1.jpgwork area 2.jpgwork area 3.jpg

The brass angle is to hold the sides apart, as is the sprue at the door...

work area first paint wash.jpgwork area first paint wash2.jpg
This is now ready for final assembly.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
The roof 'box' was the next item to tackle, and here it was a case of carefull measurments, check and re-check. Once the final rear shape had been constructed I added the interior bracing and future work will be adding hooks to hang ropes etc.
It was not built as part of the work area for the simple reason I did not want to struggle with trying to add parts and risk any damage.

roof constrn1.jpg

The Brass along the sides are for strength, while the panel at the end will be removed prior to final fitting as will the angle across the door. The 'scribble' on the roof is to show where the interior lights/wiring will go.

test fit work area roof.jpg
...And a test fit.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Having had a set of drawings from an early edition of 'Modelworld' by Almarks in my collection. There is a layout of the hoist and gantry and it was these that went through the scanner/printer. Working on these drawings I used some Plastruct 'U' angle to form up the outside of the frame. With my wish for three hands and twenty fingers, I decided to now tape the copy to a piece of foam board, raid the sewing basket (Her's, not mine) for dressmaking pins and went to work setting out each part, remembering which way round the frame is positioned.
And this is where we are today....
20181105_215541.jpg
Cheers, Mike

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Mike, liking the foam board support while doing the crane, how do you cope with any glue sticking to the board. I've resulted in using a slightly greased metal sheet and steel bars to keep the shape.

I was with 42 LAD, as a recy mec drove the Scamell, and Leyland recovery. The regiment went over to 109 SP from 5 . 5 field gun, unfortunately it was disbanded in 1977
John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well you have certainly come back fighting Mike. This is wonderful work.

Excuse my ignorance but does the contraption/overall vehicle have an actual name? Was the hoist/crane designed for a specific job or was it used for various things? What would be the most common use for it?

Many thanks in advance

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well you have certainly come back fighting Mike. This is wonderful work.

Excuse my ignorance but does the contraption/overall vehicle have an actual name? Was the hoist/crane designed for a specific job or was it used for various things? What would be the most common use for it?

Many thanks in advance
I'll leave that to Mike Steve, as its his blog.
John .

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Mike glad to see you back at the your bench, by the look of it you haven't lost your touch very neat and tidy work, a cracking start so keep it up.
Pete.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This is looking pretty good already — and certainly a different kind of M3 than you usually see, which I very much approve of :smiling3:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good amazing detail and great craftsmanship

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello All, Many thanks for your comments and praise, John, Pete, Jakko, Lee and Christian.
Steve, I really could not find any published info on this vehicle. But when I was getting up close and personal with it, we used it for everything in the battalion that required lifting. As we did not have the recovery 432 (434 I think) this was the vehicle that was used, and as we were only infantry we did not really warrant anything special. But I think John R can furnish us with further information.
Cheers
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Nothing really done today, the jib/hoist is finishes as far as the framework is concerned and will remain in the 'jig' for a couple of days. But I have not been sitting idle, as you will read on my other blog.
More later
Cheers, Mike.